2020 Planning thread - a.k.a pre-season misplaced confidence and collective insanity

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

"RECRUIT Jack Steven has added to Geelong's growing list of injury concerns after tweaking his calf at training.

Steven has been away from the main group in the past fortnight, delaying his return to full fitness despite a promising display on the training track before Christmas. "

oh-ooh!

Beat me to it, haha. The injury concern isn't a big deal, as he'll be back in a couple of weeks...it's this line that got me:

"Steven is expected to feature predominantly as a forward as he builds his fitness before graduating to greater midfield minutes and offset the Cats' loss of Tim Kelly."

If it was written by anyone else, I'd take it with a grain of salt, but it's written by Mitch Cleary. He's our resident Geelong guru, so he'll know exactly what our plans are. Based on that, Steven is out for me now, which whittles the forward line down even further.

Right - early seasons Dogs preview !! So pay attention everyone, I'm only doing this once now...

I'll revisit (if I get time) as the preseason progresses...

Likely structure:

B: Wood Cordy Crozier
HB: JJ Keath Duryea
C: Macrae Libba Hunter
HF: Dale Naughton Dickson
F: Lloyd Bruce ???

R: English Bont Dunkley

Interchange from: Lipinski, Suckling, Daniel, Smith, Maclean, B Williams, Lynch, Schache, Trengove

As I said earlier - I wouldn't include Libba as a lock, I think he slows us down (even though he is a good field kick). And we might mix and match a bit here and there. And we might have injuries.

So - we then get down to a structural issue - can English ruck full time, or do we need a Trengove/Schache as a relief ? If English rucks solo - or Trengove plays FB instead of Cordy - then you have 4 I/C spots to choose from.

So: Lipinski, Smith, Maclean, Daniel ??

Which leaves one FP spot open for either West or Weightman….

But if we select either Schache/Trengove as a I/C player - then one of the above 4 are likely to be picked as FP. Which means that West and Weightman are likely to miss.

If we don't pick Libba - then you could have Smith - Macrae - Hunter : which would allow you one more spot available....

So - West is looking to be around the 21 - 25th player selected in my view, so quite risky...

I'm sure he and Weightman will play games - but may not be a huge cash cow at this point....

Best I can offer for now....
How is Smith tracking? I was high on him in the draft and reckon he can be a 100+ player if he plays fulltime midfield.

Beat me to it, haha. The injury concern isn't a big deal, as he'll be back in a couple of weeks...it's this line that got me:

"Steven is expected to feature predominantly as a forward as he builds his fitness before graduating to greater midfield minutes and offset the Cats' loss of Tim Kelly."

If it was written by anyone else, I'd take it with a grain of salt, but it's written by Mitch Cleary. He's our resident Geelong guru, so he'll know exactly what our plans are. Based on that, Steven is out for me now, which whittles the forward line down even further.
Steven is out for me too. He could be a good upgrade target when they do put him into the midfield.

"RECRUIT Jack Steven has added to Geelong's growing list of injury concerns after tweaking his calf at training.

Steven has been away from the main group in the past fortnight, delaying his return to full fitness despite a promising display on the training track before Christmas. "

oh-ooh!
Interesting time of the year to be doing an old man injury

If he doesn't come up, who are peeps turning to?

calf tweak is a serious concern for an almost 30 yo... his goose is cooked for me!his risk now goes into my high range category.

Keep an eye on Gresham lads. 65>73>83 in his last few seasons. He averaged 96.5 in his last 4 games of 2019 and with increased endurance I hope he maintains (if not increase) his midfield minutes this season. Watch his role over the pre season, if he’s spending solid time on ball he could be a decent POD in a pretty slim forward group.

Keep an eye on Gresham lads. 65>73>83 in his last few seasons. He averaged 96.5 in his last 4 games of 2019 and with increased endurance I hope he maintains (if not increase) his midfield minutes this season. Watch his role over the pre season, if he’s spending solid time on ball he could be a decent POD in a pretty slim forward group.
Nice call, and thanks for sharing. Personally I'd have kept it to myself, but you're a better person than me!

Somewhat settled on team for now my main 2 concerns are Steven and Cocky (rookies are mainly auto filled for now)

My forward line disgusts me so so much and with the Steven news my god do i hate looking at it.

Would love to get Witherden into my backline but not sure how.
Opera Snapshot_2020-01-28_141048_fantasy.afl.com.au.png

I'm weighing up between these two combos:

S Hill (as a fwd but has the dpp) and Crisp

Or

Bonar (fwd) and Lloyd

I see Lloyd and Crisp as keepers but having Hill doesn't allow me to afford Lloyd. From all reports Hill is looking great, really comes down to who will generate more cash out of him and Bonar

calf tweak is a serious concern for an almost 30 yo... his goose is cooked for me!his risk now goes into my high range category.

I'd be more concerned if it was structural. I did my calf walking the other week, haha. I'm 30 myself. He's actually had a pretty decent injury run over his career, so I'm not too worried. The mental health was the big concern, but all signs have been good over the pre-season and he's been training really well. He'll definitely play Round 1 IMO, just won't be in the mid 'til around Round 6-12 depending on how conservative we are with him

I'd be more concerned if it was structural. I did my calf walking the other week, haha. I'm 30 myself. He's actually had a pretty decent injury run over his career, so I'm not too worried. The mental health was the big concern, but all signs have been good over the pre-season and he's been training really well. He'll definitely play Round 1 IMO, just won't be in the mid 'til around Round 6-12 depending on how conservative we are with him
May be good to have him as an upgrade target instead of a starter then which i don't mind just wish my forward line would transform into something decent lol

May be good to have him as an upgrade target instead of a starter then which i don't mind just wish my forward line would transform into something decent lol

I had all 4 of Smith, Martin, Whit and Steven, and was happy with that...now, not so much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did my calf walking the other week, haha. I'm 30 myself.
People joke about it, but you definitely do start getting random aches and injuries when you hit 30! For the last 9 months or so, I've been getting a sharp pain between my left deltoid and bicep when I twist my arm a certain way. I don't recall doing anything to hurt it but it won't go away.

People joke about it, but you definitely do start getting random aches and injuries when you hit 30! For the last 9 months or so, I've been getting a sharp pain between my left deltoid and bicep when I twist my arm a certain way. I don't recall doing anything to hurt it but it won't go away.

Yeah I've had that the past year with my shoulder. Tweaked it by pulling it at some stage, now it just won't go away. Have had X Rays, but apparently have to see a physio as it's muscular. Such a pain. I used to skate, so I think I'm paying for everything now, haha

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but this is just the beginning...so let the good times roll! your doctor becomes your best friend as you discover your wasted youth has returned to haunt you.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but this is just the beginning...so let the good times roll! your doctor becomes your best friend as you discover your wasted youth has returned to haunt you.
Totally - sleeping is an extreme sport now that I've turned 40! I wake up in the morning and I've got a sore back, shoulder and knee.

So much for sport being good for you

What's the remainder of your team like? Some midpriced madness through the mids?

Not really, was actually looking at a 4 rook midfield, which gave me 4 'keepers' in mid, def, and fwd. Allowed me to have Grundy and Gawn too. Given there are so many decent recently drafted rooks, I was looking at something like Treloar, Cripps, Titch, Ward, Rowell, Anderson, D. Stephens, and M. Pickett. Going full guns and rooks, after last year's disaster

Not really, was actually looking at a 4 rook midfield, which gave me 4 'keepers' in mid, def, and fwd. Allowed me to have Grundy and Gawn too. Given there are so many decent recently drafted rooks, I was looking at something like Treloar, Cripps, Titch, Ward, Rowell, Anderson, D. Stephens, and M. Pickett. Going full guns and rooks, after last year's disaster
So no Selwood for you?

So no Selwood for you?

Definitely not. Even if he's fit by the season opener, he won't play full-time as an inside mid as we're trying to extend his career. He'll likely play wing or half back. Either way, as good as he can be - and he can go 170+ - I wouldn't be picking him from the get go given his recent injury issues.

EDIT: Who I am interested in this pre-season, above all else, is Constable. Has put on some size, and should be a lock for a starting position. At his price, is capable of going 90-100+ given his ability to rack up high numbers. Given all our injuries, can't see any reason he's not there Round 1 pumping out decent scores.

Also, his price is significantly lower, given his 44 when he played forward in Round 9 last year. Would have averaged 90 instead instead of 83 if not for that game. Sam Walsh averaged 92, which puts that into perspective.

Last edited:
Definitely not. Even if he's fit by the season opener, he won't play full-time as an inside mid as we're trying to extend his career. He'll likely play wing or half back. Either way, as good as he can be - and he can go 170+ - I wouldn't be picking him from the get go given his recent injury issues.

EDIT: Who I am interested in this pre-season, above all else, is Constable. Has put on some size, and should be a lock for a starting position. At his price, is capable of going 90-100+ given his ability to rack up high numbers. Given all our injuries, can't see any reason he's not there Round 1 pumping out decent scores.

Also, his price is significantly lower, given his 44 when he played forward in Round 9 last year. Would have averaged 90 instead instead of 83 if not for that game. Sam Walsh averaged 92, which puts that into perspective.
I've got Constable shortlisted too, as well as Cooper Stephens from the cats. Any chance he can get a few games in a row to start the seasaon?

I am keen to start with Bailey Smith. Just seems like an absolute midfield gun that we can grab as a fwd. Pretty pricey for a 2nd year player, but me likey
Biggest wait and see for me this pre season, currently in my team but i need to see significant midfield time from him. 0 question marks over his talent but i do have a ton over his role in the team. Lack of forward options has me a lot more willing to pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back