List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the article where he was the best of Brisbane's forwards in the practice match including Mc Stay and Hipwood made him sound more tempting.

My mate Simon Meredith umpire 21 tonight’s Grand Final said he was BOG in 2 pre season games
kicked 6 in one game ......4 in another was amazed he didn’t play round 1 obviously affected by COVID
during the year like many other players.

haha Craig Kelly looks like an absolute fool.

Very very cross at the Saints for landing Crouch, stuff you lot we advise Jye to go to Essendon where he is certain to get mid time.

Nek minute

Has anyone ever changed their mind between nominating a club and the actual trade?
Wouldn't look terribly professional.

Prefer Sam Skinner from Brisbane and he is free.

So you're for Skinner ????

Hang on, so you would be unhappy if we got Brad Crouch and Ben King onto the list for 2021?

I want a another good mid in addition to Crouch this trade period.

With another good mid we would be a good chance of Top 4 in 2021 and 2022, and even flag contenders.

Max and Ben are both very good potentially, but both will take a few more years to be really hitting that potential. They need time to strengthen those big lean bodies.

Ben will not make that big a difference yet, even if he may further down the track.

Hill, Hannas, Carlisle, Ryder are good to go in 2021/22. When Max and and Ben are reaching their potential only Hill may still be firing.

Carpe Diem needs to be our motto just now.

Until those rules are found to be in conflict with Federal and State laws. Nobody knows how the courts would see it until somebody tests it.

If I work for a bank do you think they can just choose to remove my legal protections and if I don't like it, I can just go to another bank?
Not quite true. The AFL is a single entity in itself with no competition so it can impement rules to protect the integrity of its business which don't constitute a restraint of trade.

The courts have previously found in restraint-of-trade cases involving sport, like Adamson v NSWRL, the judiciary accepted that labour market controls are justified on the grounds that they protect the legitimate interests of the league, namely competitive equality, financial viability and player retention.

Watching the GF buildup.

Everything so wrong,

Wrong city
Wrong ground
Wrong date
Wrong time.

Nobody over for a barbie.

Just feels like a H&A game
I am going to a bbq, but that's tomorrow evening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone ever changed their mind between nominating a club and the actual trade?
Wouldn't look terribly professional.
In some ways however if you were going to a club to increase opportunities to get a game and they brought in another player who plays the same role as you and is currently better I wouldn't blame them for looking elsewhere.

Less professional would be to commit to a club then change your mind because you can get more cash elsewhere.

In some ways however if you were going to a club to increase opportunities to get a game and they brought in another player who plays the same role as you and is currently better I wouldn't blame them for looking elsewhere.

Less professional would be to commit to a club then change your mind because you can get more cash elsewhere.

Yeah well if the Bombers get Dunkley he’ll be in exactly the same position.

Ok here is a thought I have had for a while, so please take it in the spirit of half baked conspiracies, but one that, yes you can see possibly happened.

As we are all aware Ben King at the end of his first season (2019) with the Gold Coast Suns signed on for a further two year extension, to his initial two year starting contract. That has him contracted to the Suns to the end of 2022. There was massive speculation at the time, that he would at the end of 2020, ask for a transfer back to St Kilda. His brother was living out their childhood dream at St Kilda and there was huge media and online speculation as to whether this would happen or not.

Gold Coast at that time, had another wheel barrow full of draft picks, with the ongoing fear that none of them would stay and that they would do, as so many had before them and leave to interstate clubs. It was reported after Ben signed the contract extension for a further two years, that his father had in fact approached Simon Lethlean for advice. Lethlean told him that this was a sensational offer and that he should accept it.

BUT..... is that the whole story. As we all know Lethlean and his football list management henchmen are always looking at options, choices, Plan B, Plan C etc. Yes it is very conceivable that he gave Ben's father that advice, but wouldn't it have made sense to also advise Bens father, that Ben should protect himself and give himself an out clause, if it didn't work out there? If he didn't like it there, or was homesick and wanted to come back to Melbourne. Gold Coast needed Ben's signing as a catalyst to sign other players, to show the younger guys that its a huge positive to commit to a future at the Gold Coast.

If Ben leaves in the future thats a problem for future Gold Coast, not their immediate problem at the end of 2019. Thus would both parties have agreed to the additional two year term, with the proviso that if Ben wanted to go any at the end of Years 2, 3 and 4 he could do so with their blessing.

Gold Coast get their signature. It completely removes this weekly ongoing speculation as to whether he stays or goes. They also get clear air time to convince Ben to stay and be a long term part of the Gold Coast's future. They publicly can use his signing, to secure a host of other young recruits to commit to the Suns. Ben gets a great financial settlement and the security of this, plus the option that if he does want to come back to Melbourne and St Kilda, that he has a means of doing it. And Lethlean has helped and in playing the long game, has a possible future star with a clear pathway to St Kilda.

Even if all of this is a figment of my imagination, there is that little glimmer that maybe, just maybe, that is exactly how it all happened
No figment of your imagination.
I have always suspected an out clause might be inserted into the contract.
You want me to stay for four years?
Okay, but I want a release at the end of the contract....

Can't believe we're not throwing everything at Dunkley. He will be at Essendon next year. Exactly the player we need.
Dunkley will not leave the Dogs we are not wasting our time on things that wont happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back