List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What is frustrating is that it seems like we have been following him all year. Our name has been consistently linked with him and he looked like someone we had targeted from a fair way out only for Essendon swoop in at the last minute with a crazy deal.

Not saying we should have matched Essendon's offer, but it's still frustrating. Oh well, we move on.

Last edited:
In addition to the extra coin, I think he knows he'll get games at the dopers, where with us he'd really have to earn his spot, especially as we just landed crouch. I'd still prefer caldwell to crouch but I'll put my faith in the devil.

In addition to the extra coin, I think he knows he'll get games at the dopers, where with us he'd really have to earn his spot, especially as we just landed crouch. I'd still prefer caldwell to crouch but I'll put my faith in the devil.

tbh i think he's in the same predicament. wouldn't surprise if when he gets there he doesn't see much game time at all.

On the flipside of not being nominated by Caldwell, I'm actually quite pleased that we didn't get sucked in to offering an unproven (albeit highly regarded) 20 y.o with a contract that is better than the majority of our list. Spending big for blokes like Hill, Crouch, Carlisle, Hannaz, Jones, Doogz etc is fair enough and understood by the playing group as they are known and experienced necessities. If we want to create a culture of blokes playing for team success (i.e. Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond etc) then I think we've potentially avoided a cohesion pot-hole in not having a Caldwell wanting to come to us. Good luck to him but better luck to us when trade season officially fires up!

Nah stuff sticking up for the kid. His decision to pick a rabble over his childhood club for a few extra gorillas tells me he’s lower than shark sh*t.

how much more extra is it after tax?

but what's the risk of going to a club in that much turmoil. new list manager or coach and he could find himself delisted with no one looking at him a third time.

i would have thought the better bet would be to take the small hit $$$ wise for a better environment to build a career in.

Anybody see the similarities between this Caldwell signing and the script of The Club

- Big club fallen on hard times, desperate to become powerful again
- offers new untried gun way overs to play for them
-guarantees him a spot in the mids in seniors.

What happens when Jye gets stoned like Geoff in the movie and starts watching the Prince of Seagulls instead of the game?

The powers that be at that club are like the Administrator and Jock, the ex great. They just brought Sheedy back to play the role of Jock.

Wonder if they will go for Rostov as the coach after 2021?

On the flipside of not being nominated by Caldwell, I'm actually quite pleased that we didn't get sucked in to offering an unproven (albeit highly regarded) 20 y.o with a contract that is better than the majority of our list. Spending big for blokes like Hill, Crouch, Carlisle, Hannaz, Jones, Doogz etc is fair enough and understood by the playing group as they are known and experienced necessities. If we want to create a culture of blokes playing for team success (i.e. Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond etc) then I think we've potentially avoided a cohesion pot-hole in not having a Caldwell wanting to come to us. Good luck to him but better luck to us when trade season officially fires up!

well said!!! good point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how much more extra is it after tax?

but what's the risk of going to a club in that much turmoil. new list manager or coach and he could find himself delisted with no one looking at him a third time.

i would have thought the better bet would be to take the small hit $$$ wise for a better environment to build a career in.

I reckon he thought he wasn't going to get a game at the Saints, with Crouch coming in and competing with Bytel and others for a development spot.

Disagree with that, an extra 50-100k a year plus an extra year of security at the end for another 500k is life changing money any way you want to put it.
Yeah that's true. Especially with the issues he's already had with his body.

If we offered 4 x 400 he's got almost an extra million dollars guaranteed at the Bombers.

Hard to knock thar back.

Caldwell wouldn't be a certainty to get a game with us without Crouch - with him on the way Jye would find it even tougher. Crouch and Clark may be the two gun mids we've been hoping for.

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield, Carlisle, Long
C: Hill, Steele, Hannebery
HF: Billings, Marshall, Gresham
F: Butler, King, Membrey

Foll: Ryder, Crouch, Clark
Int: Battle, Jones, Ross, Sinclair

That's a top 4 side given a reasonable run with injuries. Caldwell would be competing with Ross and Sinclair for a spot along with Bytel and Byrnes. We do need midfield depth but I'm not sure Caldwell should be a priority

Yeah I'm not that fussed if we don't get Caldwell after getting Crouch, you'd think Caldwell was the GWS version of Matt Rowell the way some people are carrying on but unlike Crouch he wouldn't be a walk up start for our best 22, he would be a fringe player competing with a few other midfielders for a spot.

Last edited:
THIS +1

I reckon he thought he wasn't going to get a game at the Saints, with Crouch coming in and competing with Bytel and others for a development spot.

yet he's going to essendon with Shiel already there? Captain plays midfield and aint going anywhere. so isn't that the same as Steele + Crouch?

Merrett? Thumbnail? McGrath?

i'm sure i'm missing some too!

If Dunkley is actually a real chance to move and we missed because of Crouch, I'd be pretty annoyed. I'm happy with Crouch in isolation, but Dunkley would be a much better prospect with his age and without the durability concerns.

Contracted, would cost more than we paid for Hill, much more.

yet he's going to essendon with Shiel already there? Captain plays midfield and aint going anywhere. so isn't that the same as Steele + Crouch?

Merrett? Thumbnail? McGrath?

i'm sure i'm missing some too!

No idea, I don't know anything about Essendon's list, I try not to think about them. But they could easily have made him the argument that he's more likely to play with them than with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back