Preview 2021 Goodbye (To 2022) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Even the internal trial on the weekend was littered with ridiculous amounts of super slow play, possession footy and backwards kicks. Yeah there was some good movement, but you'd have to be blind to have not noticed some of the super slow crap.
Out of interest how would you want the team to play? What would your ideal game style look like? There's a lot the coaching staff can be criticized for, but I'm not sure super slow play is a legitimate critique. Compare ports play vs other teams, it's one of the more watchable styles in the comp.

We've had some exciting moments over the last few years, 2018 showdown, Ryder 2 Gray, 2020 QF. But overall I've found watching us is a boring chore. We're a grinding team, a blunt force object that's been extremely boring to watch, and played really average at home.
Even the internal trial on the weekend was littered with ridiculous amounts of super slow play, possession footy and backwards kicks. Yeah there was some good movement, but you'd have to be blind to have not noticed some of the super slow crap.
Strange how we are usually spoken about on most footy shows as one of the most exciting teams to watch? And I know many non Port supporters who enjoy watching Port play more than any other team.

You are the one who is blinded by your bitterness. Hate Hinkley all you want. Hate our slow starts, and hate our poor finals performances, and yes at times we lose our structure and become a kick on the head of Dixon team, but for the majority of the season we are one the most exciting teams to watch.

Out of interest how would you want the team to play? What would your ideal game style look like? There's a lot the coaching staff can be criticized for, but I'm not sure super slow play is a legitimate critique. Compare ports play vs other teams, it's one of the more watchable styles in the comp.
Early 2014 gamestyle but for 25 matches.

Strange how we are usually spoken about on most footy shows as one of the most exciting teams to watch? And I know many non Port supporters who enjoy watching Port play more than any other team.

You are the one who is blinded by your bitterness. Hate Hinkley all you want. Hate our slow starts, and hate our poor finals performances, and yes at times we lose our structure and become a kick on the head of Dixon team, but for the majority of the season we are one the most exciting teams to watch.
Our goalless quarters are the best in the land.

Anyone would think we are coming off 2 wooden spoons🤦
We sh*t the bed in a home prelim off a two week break versus a team with injuries, one week break, travelled more than the Leyland Brothers and subjected to quarantine, iso and constant testing. No disrespect Robbo but you're only good as your last game and we were pathetic.

Anyone would think we are coming off 2 wooden spoons🤦
We just got absolutely embarrassed in a Prelim that was over in less than 5 minutes against a side we should have beaten who missing their best key forward and best small forward.

All we heard for 12 months about how much losing the prelim to Richmond 'hurt', well they claimed that. You'd think if it really hurt that they might of come out breathing fire with a point to prove. What we got was the weakest effort from a Port Adelaide side in a very long time.

We sh*t the bed in a home prelim off a two week break versus a team with injuries, one week break, travelled more than the Leyland Brothers and subjected to quarantine, iso and constant testing. No disrespect Robbo but you're only good as your last game and we were pathetic.
I totally agree I was shattered believe me but if you look at the bigger picture were doing alright.
And for the record i don't think ken should of been given his last contract and his disappearance act this summer has been piss weak.
But I do understand people's frustrations we have blown 2 golden opportunities and flags are harder than ever to win .

We just got absolutely embarrassed in a Prelim that was over in less than 5 minutes against a side we should have beaten who missing their best key forward and best small forward.

All we heard for 12 months about how much losing the prelim to Richmond 'hurt', well they claimed that. You'd think if it really hurt that they might of come out breathing fire with a point to prove. What we got was the weakest effort from a Port Adelaide side in a very long time.
Don't disagree but until that moment we done bloody well to get there considering the injuries to key players all yr but I'm not saying losing like that is in anyway ok.

The media barely watches us, they're still riding the Hinkley hype train from 2014. We haven't played exciting footy in years. Hinkley and our club somehow escape criticism all over the place probably mainly because no one cares about us.

We are a boring, contest/clearance based team, kick to contest, kick to the forward pocket and lock it in team. It took until round 20 last year for us to finally take it on a bit out of the back half for christ sakes. Commentators even laugh about the fact we all know exactly where EVERY SINGLE kickout is going. It is going to the corner of the square.

We are boring to watch, the atmosphere at our games pre-covid had completely disappeared. In 2013-2014-2015 our crowds were electric, these days the folded arms in the crowd is literally a meme. We are boring, and our crowd is quiet and disengaged. All you have to do is sit and listen to how darn quiet it is these days. Maybe it is because we promise so much but lose so many games at home, or maybe it is the game plan.

Maybe it's just modern footy, maybe it's our game style, or maybe it is just the fact that we are so 'stable' that the spark of new enthusiasm brought on by new beginnings and new coaches is something we desperately need

Mate I could go on for ages.

But I'll settle for one point, I'd just love to see a functioning forward line, we haven't seen one since maybe 07. When we take a lead up mark in the forward line these days it's literally a OMG moment, because we've just been playing chaos ball up forward for a long time. Yet the opposition somehow finds ways to do it against us several times a game.

That’s very true and you are right. Point it what do you do next . We can’t get stuck in that game going forward .
You would assume they will try and remedy what goes wrong when we have bad games , because when we do we look pretty terrible
Hear Butters acknowledging that today . You would think that would be the focus .
That and the mental side that allowed us to be lulled into a false sense of security before the prelim and not be hungry for a really important game
It’s the old . I get knocked down but I get up again moment this year hopefully . .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact our coaches and players boast playing free flowing exciting football is one of the bigger gaslighting lines they roll with.

They play sh*t, slow, gross shitfest hinkley ball.
It's exiting because we always look like we are going to score...

And then we don't.

Sure as sh*t feels like it knowing we're handcuffed to hinkley ball.

Yes, but what if we're good now?

We also have major unaddressed cultural problems. A deeply ingrained mental weakness when it comes to handling pressure and expectation that permeates right through the organisation. The higher the stakes, the more it becomes apparent. This will not change simply by working hardery for longery or getting better players or even a new coach - there needs to be an admission that it's a problem and then a concerted effort to pull together and change the cultural fabric of the organisation. Don't see it happening anytime soon unfortunately.

We are a legitimate contender, we have been for the last two seasons and have got very close, I think we can definitely win the flag this year. Plenty of clubs have no chance. But we do. Yeah the coach might not be everyone’s cup of tea but the depression of supporters at the moment is *ing pathetic.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We also have major unaddressed cultural problems. A deeply ingrained mental weakness when it comes to handling pressure and expectation that permeates right through the organisation. The higher the stakes, the more it becomes apparent. This will not change simply by working hardery for longery or getting better players or even a new coach - there needs to be an admission that it's a problem and then a concerted effort to pull together and change the cultural fabric of the organisation. Don't see it happening anytime soon unfortunately.
You are, of course, talking about the chairman.

the coach might not be everyone’s cup of tea
Lockhart Road
ace ventura laughing GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back