Preview 2021 Goodbye (To 2022) New; Preseason Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The funniest thing that could happen is Port winning the flag and Hinkley getting a 3 year extension.

13 years, unlucky for some. 😂

The media barely watches us, they're still riding the Hinkley hype train from 2014. We haven't played exciting footy in years. Hinkley and our club somehow escape criticism all over the place probably mainly because no one cares about us.

We are a boring, contest/clearance based team, kick to contest, kick to the forward pocket and lock it in team. It took until round 20 last year for us to finally take it on a bit out of the back half for christ sakes. Commentators even laugh about the fact we all know exactly where EVERY SINGLE kickout is going. It is going to the corner of the square.

We are boring to watch, the atmosphere at our games pre-covid had completely disappeared. In 2013-2014-2015 our crowds were electric, these days the folded arms in the crowd is literally a meme. We are boring, and our crowd is quiet and disengaged. All you have to do is sit and listen to how darn quiet it is these days. Maybe it is because we promise so much but lose so many games at home, or maybe it is the game plan.

Maybe it's just modern footy, maybe it's our game style, or maybe it is just the fact that we are so 'stable' that the spark of new enthusiasm brought on by new beginnings and new coaches is something we desperately need

I do come in peace.

I was having a read because it's Supercoach season and came across this post, I have to say it's amazingly accurate.

I really like Port, massive fan of Wines Butters.

I would find myself actually yelling at the TV at every kick in something along the lines of every ******* time, this was early on in the season it was extremely frustrating, every week, I could only imagine how you guys felt.

I watched every Port game last year and feel it's probably time to run some X factor through the middle (injuries didn't help) how is Duursma tracking? I think he could be a serious player and with Butters that could possibly take you guys to that next level.

It's now or never for Hinkley if a bum on the couch knows where your kicking the footy every time then the players don't stand a chance.

The media barely watches us, they're still riding the Hinkley hype train from 2014. We haven't played exciting footy in years. Hinkley and our club somehow escape criticism all over the place probably mainly because no one cares about us.

We are a boring, contest/clearance based team, kick to contest, kick to the forward pocket and lock it in team. It took until round 20 last year for us to finally take it on a bit out of the back half for christ sakes. Commentators even laugh about the fact we all know exactly where EVERY SINGLE kickout is going. It is going to the corner of the square.

We are boring to watch, the atmosphere at our games pre-covid had completely disappeared. In 2013-2014-2015 our crowds were electric, these days the folded arms in the crowd is literally a meme. We are boring, and our crowd is quiet and disengaged. All you have to do is sit and listen to how darn quiet it is these days. Maybe it is because we promise so much but lose so many games at home, or maybe it is the game plan.

Maybe it's just modern footy, maybe it's our game style, or maybe it is just the fact that we are so 'stable' that the spark of new enthusiasm brought on by new beginnings and new coaches is something we desperately need
We play percentage footy. If we're a 51% chance of coming out ahead, that's what we'll do. We are on the dark path that Buckley took, except we have better cattle. Stark contrast to when Hinkley first started.

We also have major unaddressed cultural problems. A deeply ingrained mental weakness when it comes to handling pressure and expectation that permeates right through the organisation. The higher the stakes, the more it becomes apparent. This will not change simply by working hardery for longery or getting better players or even a new coach - there needs to be an admission that it's a problem and then a concerted effort to pull together and change the cultural fabric of the organisation. Don't see it happening anytime soon unfortunately.
To put simply, we must clear out the no hopers.

I'm coming off as a happy clapper 😂 but I'm far from it.
I love Port Adelaide so much! Even a sub-par coach, and a ball-less BOD does not diminish my excitement of footy restarting, and the opportunity to cheer the boys on. BF is a great source of news on the players and club, but I am also cautious of it, because it can become a cancerous purveyor of negativity.

I am probably labelled a Happy-clapper too. ¯\(ツ)/¯

I don't know if it's even Port that are responsible for my lethargy, I think it's just the league as a whole. The fact that there are teams in 5 states of Australia and yet 13 of the last 15 premierships have been won by teams from 1 state is a big part of it I think. Just seems like a tin pot local yokel wank off at times and I feel more and more that way with every passing year.
Don't think the AFL are very happy with this,they wanted 2 more Premierships out of Victoria,I'm sure they can change a rule or 2 to make sure such an injustice will never happen again!

The funniest thing that could happen is Port winning the flag and Hinkley getting a 3 year extension.

13 years, unlucky for some. 😂
Wins us a flag and I'm happy with giving him whatever extension they want. I just feel like even if we get back there we will find a way to blow the opportunity. We all hope I'm wrong, but as TeeKay said, this ingrained culture of losing is endemic now. Lost 3 SANFL GF's, 2 by under a kick, lost 2 AFL prelims by under a kick and blown out many, many times in big games during the Hinkley era. It just doesn't feel like we have that winning mentality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BF is a great source of news on the players and club, but I am also cautious of it, because it can become a cancerous purveyor of negativity.
It's likely it's magnified here, but you only have to sit in the crowd and feel, hear, sense the decreasing vibe/atmosphere, to establish that it isn't just BF. It's the wider fan base and we're just representing a vocal pocket of it.

I have a large family that attends games, none of them are on BF, and when I meet up with them after every game they're ripping into Hinkley, our ball movement, our strategies, our choking, Marshall, Motlop, etc. It's not just the forum.

I don't know if it's even Port that are responsible for my lethargy, I think it's just the league as a whole. The fact that there are teams in 5 states of Australia and yet 13 of the last 15 premierships have been won by teams from 1 state is a big part of it I think. Just seems like a tin pot local yokel wank off at times and I feel more and more that way with every passing year.
This is the only reason I want the likes of Gold Coast still in the AFL, along with a team from Tassie and hopefully elsewhere. The only way anything changes in this pisspot league is the non-Vic clubs at least number as many as the Vic ones. This is not a national competition, or even a professional one, with more than half the sides from one state. Our best chance of getting less Vic clubs is hoping St. Kilda goes under with debt. Since Bulldogs got their 2016 gifted flag and Melbourne won last year. Though if the Saints really look like going under I expect the VFL will step in and save them, as a compliant Saints under their thumb is worth a lot more to them, then a bit more cash in hand and a shift in power balance.

Always so excited for football.
But, the way we lost last years prelim was a DISASTER and it can't be corrected until they get another opportunity to play another prelim. That is what sucks for me personally, winning before September might be fun to watch - I'll definitely enjoy it, but it won't mean jack s**t until the pointy end, and that's a long wait.

Worked next to Butters house today . Looked up and saw him said oy you better get to training , he said it was a day off today . Next time he came out he took off on his skateboard with his dog . Just like any other 21 year old
Did you tell him he needs to sign a contract extension whilst you were there 😉

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back