Training 2022 Training Reports and General Club Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

It wouldn’t be overly difficult given the data would already be there. It would take an investment in computer science (which we already do) and an understanding of the best way to communicate outcomes of that work. The real question is in finding a Sean McVay/ Bryson Dechambeau coach that’s driven by data/ science over instinct. That’s a huge leap of faith because it’ll be a while until someone either works their way through the coaching system with it as a philosophy or comes in externally from the game with data as a tenet. Finally they need a personality to make it all work because you walk into most clubs talking data and the players will look at you like you have two heads.

I was speaking in terms of us fans not the coaching teams.

But I do also think it's very challenging for clubs too - outside of broad indicators and analysis. I'm not sure who Sean McVay is, but Dechambeau is dealing in a sport where his score isn't connected to variable opposition tactics or abilities. Correlations for success in AFL are going to vary against different tactics and teams with different strengths and weaknesses, making it much more complex. And as teams don't play against each other very often it's very hard to trust data from specific tactics and outcomes against specific teams. And then throw in the issue of teams changing strategy and structure mid season or even mid game and it's really complex. I'm sure we can use data more effectively than we do and that we are improving it's use, but I suspect that there will always be a limit to its

Standouts:
Lippa: just seems to bring so much drive and intensity in anything he does. Very focused at improving in the drills with stoppages and contest work.
Cal: Has been quite impressive in recent days with his pressure around the ball, his ball use has been much better, and just around stoppages and packs in general in able to find space.
Begg: Getting better all the time. Exceptional use of the ball. Good kick, and agile in able to pick up ground balls for someone his size.
Macrae: Geez this kid is gonna be a force. He has put on some muscle and is getting better every day.

Off half back:
Maynard and N.Daicos have been really good. Crisp as well.
Noble and IQ's ball use and speed has been very clear.

Forwards:
Kelly and Krueger have been good options near the goals.
McCreery as that pressure forward has been prominant.
Harrison, I think it might be, his speed in the forward line will be something that will come in handy. That's something we have been lacking.

Moore and Roughy reliable as ever.

But I do also think it's very challenging for clubs too - outside of broad indicators and analysis. I'm not sure who Sean McVay is, but Dechambeau is dealing in a sport where his score isn't connected to variable opposition tactics or abilities. Correlations for success in AFL are going to vary against different tactics and teams with different strengths and weaknesses, making it much more complex. And as teams don't play against each other very often it's very hard to trust data from specific tactics and outcomes against specific teams. And then throw in the issue of teams changing strategy and structure mid season or even mid game and it's really complex. I'm sure we can use data more effectively than we do and that we are improving it's use, but I suspect that there will always be a limit to its
No argument with any of that, data is simply observed and recorded events - where it gets sticky is that there is not the time or resources to record it in truly meaningful terms.

The sht really hits the fan when a) raw data is processed into statistics divorced from the circumstances and b) Media nuffies pronounce each little factum as the gospel.

This is also there somewhere, but Nicky runs down Sidebottom when he didn't see him coming

I was expecting Nick Daicos to abseil down out of the helicopter and tackle Sidebottom from above 🚁🤔😀

This is absolutely true. A few sports, and golf, because of its very fixed data points and launch monitors that can record a multitude of data points with great accuracy, is one of them, lend themselves well to statistical analysis

My guess would be the AFL and it’s clubs have no trained statisticians working for them. They have a mass of raw data and in the end it will not have any meaning in a strict statistical sense because it hasn’t been planned for and any analysis used wont stand up to scrutiny

Stats is very dry. Medically it’s used all the time in planning and running trials. If you don’t have statistical planning prior to setting up trials to know what you need to do to achieve significance don’t bother starting.

The AFL and most sports don’t do this. Gut feel and experience will likely yield better results without delving into the stats, which if you don’t understand them will lie to you much more than reveal any truths.

Off track slightly but I worked in a hospital in Dublin in 1994. It was one of 3 maternity hospitals in the city and they were fierce rivals. They were well ahead of most of the rest of the world in recording and analysing their results. That all took great pride in it.

Each year they had a combined meeting to present the figures of each hospital, a local expert reviewed it and gave learned opinions and then the drinking and arguing began. Went to the wee hours usually

The year I was there a professor of statistics was bought in to give the review. It was eagerly awaited as each hospital wanted the statistical approval. He got up essentially said lovely figures, well done everyone. Of course its a waste of time because nothing presented has any statistical significance so it’s all meaningless. Nil all draw

Bought a significant silence which lasted at least 60 seconds and then the fighting began anyway

P.S their data was much more involved and analysed that the AFLs but was still meaningless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sean McVay’s the coach of the LA Rams. I agree that Dechambeau competes in a sport that lacks those inputs, but that’s a separate discussion. I’m purely talking the use of data to improve performance with reference to him.

I agree with your analysis of the impact of those inputs on ours and many sports worldwide and that there is a limit to the effectiveness of data, but we’re as close to reaching that limit as we are the sun exploding, IMO, because outwardly it appears that we’re barely scratching the surface (or at least that was the case under Buckley).

In a practical sense relating to this thread I couldn’t spot anything in the videos Jen shared to indicate data has played a role in our stoppage work, but here’s hoping.

Fraser had elite HOTA% of about 20-25% for most of his career. He's actually the perfect guy to help Grundy address this weakness in his otherwise vastly superior game
I agree - Grundy just needs some coaching to take his ruck work up a notch or two.

Adams would be A fine choice.
Ws also don’t know who can emerge from underneath now that there’s a new regime
Names such Maynard could elevate into leadership potential.
Adams could be a captain in the Tony Shaw mould - he's a heart and soul type of player. A youngster who has leadership potential, (provided he can establish himself in the team), is Trent Bianco. He was a premiership captain for the Chargers and is still only 20 years old.

Adams could be a captain in the Tony Shaw mould - he's a heart and soul type of player. A youngster who has leadership potential, (provided he can establish himself in the team), is Trent Bianco. He was a premiership captain for the Chargers and is still only 20 years old.
Will Bianco make it? He does not sound that smart when interviewed btw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back