List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:

The Gawn/Grundy comparison people often refer to, when discussing Jackson, is completely and utterly irrelevant.

It diminishes, rather than strengthens your argument.

The comparison is largely driven by the media who just label ruckmen as "good" or "bad" without in any way looking at the ruckmen themselves. The only apt comparison for Jackson is peak Blicavs, and even then it doesn't quite work as Blicavs plays back (and is 32) whereas Jackson plays forward (and is 21)

The Gawn/Grundy comparison people often refer to, when discussing Jackson, is completely and utterly irrelevant.

It diminishes, rather than strengthens your argument.
It's not irrelevant at all. As great as jackson is, he's not a natural forward so you cant go and call him a forward (same as Melbourne are realizing as mobile as Grundy is, you cant just push him forward - same as Nic Nat was never a forward. Doesnt mean he wont kick goals, but there's a big difference between natural forwards and mobile types who can push forward. It's the same reason that Fyfe has never and will never work up forward. Jackson is a great hybrid player - but i think he's proving he's better in the ruck pushing forward. The same thing happened at Melbourne. Last year Melbourne started playing Gawn forward and giving the ruck duties to Jackson, as they realised Jackson wasnt as dominant up forward - but by playing Gawn forward so much, they robbed themselves of an AA ruckman. Same has happened this year at Melbourne.

The comparison is largely driven by the media who just label ruckmen as "good" or "bad" without in any way looking at the ruckmen themselves. The only apt comparison for Jackson is peak Blicavs, and even then it doesn't quite work as Blicavs plays back (and is 32) whereas Jackson plays forward (and is 21)
And Blicavs was an unmatched athlete in running ability and his ability to run the length of the ground - a back who suddenly gave an option up forward.

It's not irrelevant at all. As great as jackson is, he's not a natural forward so you cant go and call him a forward (same as Melbourne are realizing as mobile as Grundy is, you cant just push him forward - same as Nic Nat was never a forward. Doesnt mean he wont kick goals, but there's a big difference between natural forwards and mobile types who can push forward. It's the same reason that Fyfe has never and will never work up forward. Jackson is a great hybrid player - but i think he's proving he's better in the ruck pushing forward. The same thing happened at Melbourne. Last year Melbourne started playing Gawn forward and giving the ruck duties to Jackson, as they realised Jackson wasnt as dominant up forward - but by playing Gawn forward so much, they robbed themselves of an AA ruckman. Same has happened this year at Melbourne.

Jackson has improved significantly as a forward from when he was at Melbourne though. You do also have to factor in growth, especially for a 21 year old. He could easily develop into having an A grade forward craft given the improvement he's shown up forward this year

If anything this year just proved that Grundy can't do anything other than be the main ruck. Explains why Collingwood were so happy to let him go

Jackson is not a dominant forward because he's 21 freaking years old...how many are at that age?

Jackson, as a second key forward/second ruck and a "hit and run" midfield option is going to be one of the most valuable players in the game. He's got the height, hands, athleticism, nous and work ethic to get there and I'm going to enjoy watching him become one of our best ever players.

It is totally your right to reminisce about Logue, Tucker and Acres but I won't be joining you.

The “people that matter” then proceeded to give Brodie a 3 year extension in April about 3 or 4 games into the season.
He’s barely been sighted at AFL level since.
If they were not happy with this application and defensive running during the preseason - what hand him a big contract extension a couple of weeks into the season?
Your ITK knowledge is excellent so I’m not doubting you for a second.
Who could have guessed that giving a player with workrate issues a long term contract extension would send him back to the comfort zone. 🙈
I know we still see him as a big part of our future. He’s also had multiple injuries. Never really got going.

No one knows how good or bad Jackson will end up being, we can get a rough idea, but we're never going to see the extent until it unfolds in front of us, passing judgement so early in his career doesn't make sense.

I know we still see him as a big part of our future. He’s also had multiple injuries. Never really got going.
Glad to hear that the club still have faith in him, he was a massive part of our season last year.

Any insight on the future of the likes of Colyer, Hamling and Wilson?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson will tear multiple big games apart in the 10+ years that we have him and this discussion will be put to bed.

The people complaining about the draft capitol we gave up for him are the same people complaining that we aren’t contending. Who’s to say we don’t just bring in another Cerra who we invest 4 years into only to have to start again with another 18 year old who we drafted with the compensation. And then it’s a matter of whether they even match or exceed Cerra’s output after 4 more years.

We spent what we spent for Jackson because he is and will be worth it. The season he’s had this year as a 21 year old is proof enough.

Id just love us to actually be heavily linked to someone after the season we have had 😡
I don't think there's anyone of need that we need to go after though, I'd rather we focus our attention on further developing the players that we already have.

I think we already have all of the players who will be a part of our first premiership team.

I don't think there's anyone of need that we need to go after though, I'd rather we focus our attention on further developing the players that we already have.

I think we already have all of the players who will be a part of our first premiership team.
We thought this last year and here we are in the bottom 5

Last edited:
They'll do. Any players whose possessions turn into scores. That's quality forwards, top end field kicks (preferably with speed), and burst mids that get out the front of stoppages at pace to open up the field/forward line.

Probably need at least two some combination of those.
We need two high quality wings with speed roaming up and down Optus.

Nope but he's a true forward, Jack Gunston type and can play tall but generally the 3rd tall. Ben Brown and Tom Mcdonald had great seasons that year allowing him to get off the leash. I think you're insulting Tabenar a bit by saying that as well. A fully fit Tabs is AA Squad matedrial, which he has been considered for before being injured.
I thought you were insulting our young forward line, I think Sturt will get to Fritch level and I thing Amiss and Treacy will be alot better than the 2 fwds you quoted. Our Forward line in the future is looking pretty bloody good.

Agree - i've never denied Jacksons talent BUT, he is not a natural forward, AND my whole point is not on Jackson's talent, but that we gave up too much for him in a position we already had well covered.
Not really well covered considering how injury prone Darcy is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back