Preview 2023 Rd 24 Carlton vs GWS Sunday August 27 6:10PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in ...

IN: Cerra, Fogarty, McGovern, Walsh, C. Durdin
OUT: Cripps (soreness), Docherty (soreness), E.Curnow, Marchbank, Pittonet, Motlop (illness)

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringAlex Cincotta
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Blake AcresSam WalshOllie Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Forwards:Lachie FogartyCharlie CurnowMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Matthew CottrellPaddy DowZac Fisher
Corey Durdin
Emergencies:Ed CurnowMarc PittonetCaleb Marchbank

*Update 26th August

Last edited:

Not sure why people think we’re losing to GWS if you listen to Voss he has no intention of losing regardless of team selection or GWS having to win.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No chance we're happy to enter the finals on the back of a loss. Especially to them, we might have to play them again in the elimination final, we wouldn't want to give them any mental edge whatsoever.

Why would we rest players when they have the following week off to freshen up. Two weeks off before finals is dangerous.

This is the reason they brought in the pre finals bye.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can go either way on this.

But will say I'm not concerned (maybe foolishly) about the level of hunger this team will bring to a final, regardless of how many weeks off they've had, given this will be the first time playing in one for nearly all of them - especially the leaders.

Genuine question, if we finish 5th, is the final categorically at the MCG?
Would hate the idea of playing the Dogs or the Saints at Marvel.
95 thousand members and 10 years out of finals. It would take some sort of internal fortitude for AFL to deny us a MCG final.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did you notice the mattress Cripps was wearing while he racked up 14 touches for the day?

Rest the players that need it. Cripps is hurt, Walsh and Cerra to come back in. Possibly Kennedy, Fog, JSOS and Gov too.

Who they come in for is going to be really tough...

Cripps - Cerra
Ed - Walsh
Cunners - Fog
Marchbank - Gov
Pitto - JSOS

SUB: Kennedy if fit

I like Cunners but he had a flat game and with selection as tight as it is, he might be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think anyone who wants to play finals has to play in this one. Unless there are still concerns over a players body they will need a run before finals.

McGovern - Think he has to play for either Marchbank or Kemp. Think he is best 22 but it is going to mean dropping a form player.
Walsh and Cerra - They simply have to play. In the past Cerra's form first game back has not been great. Need them match fit.
Silvagni - Didn't get through the VFL so fair to say probably is not fit.
Boyd - Has been playing VFL but a spot hasn't opened up. Will be interesting to see if we make a decision here.
Fogarty - Not sure what our thinking here is but his last game was good, but who are you dropping for him?
Kennedy - I think he has to come back through the VFL. There really isn't room for all of Kennedy, Hewett and Cripps. Think he is the unlucky one who is on standby for one of those two.

Be interesting to see if we want to go with the two ruckmen or one ruckman and a medium forward/ruck.

They are a team like us who have come into form late. I think we are the better side. Would not be at all surprised if we did however drop this one. Quite simply if we don't quite turn up with a few rusty players in the team we just might.

Another thing we might do is put players going for the same spot up against each other.

That means we do go in with Kemp, McGovern and Marchbank. Give someone like Saad a spell.
We might drop a ruckman out for Silvagni. For instance rest Pittonet.
We might go with Boyd and Fisher in the same side. Maybe at the expense of a Saad or Cincotta.
We might also go with Kennedy and Hewett in the same side over Cripps.
It's one way of sorting out log jams.

But to be honest, I think the coaching staff will have an idea of what their best side looks like and will go with that. But boy that is going to be interesting, a fair bit riding on getting that right.

No chance we're happy to enter the finals on the back of a loss. Especially to them, we might have to play them again in the elimination final, we wouldn't want to give them any mental edge whatsoever.

Maybe not - but the mental game is a funny thing. Making finals has been a massive hurdle for this club, and this group of players. I'm sure Vossy wants them up and about, and will do everything he can to get them up and about...but you can't discount the possibility that having locked in a finals berth at least a few of the players will be a little less sharp, a little less desperate.

We were flat at the start of the GC game, with the Suns players consistently making space on their opponents (particularly when running forward). I suspect that a pep talk from Voss got the players switched back on, and it was probably to the effect of "last year we left it til the final round and then fell short - let's not make the same mistake again, a finals spot is up for grabs right now".

Our boys have spent this week basking in the satisfaction of having met a key goal. Training has probably been a bit more relaxed, because I'm sure the coaches know just how physically and mentally tiring the last 9 weeks (and from the mental side, the previous 9 weeks) have been. Did you see the footage of the players boarding the bus after the game - there was a mammoth crowd there cheering them on - seriously, it was like we'd just won a prelim. They'll be pleased with themselves, rightly so, and that can easily affect their prep and mindset for the final H&A game.

I want them buzzing, and carrying their momentum into the finals with another win. But I'm honestly expecting that this weekend will probably see a less physical, slower, more possession-based game from us, and if GWS want or, more importantly, need to win the game then they may be more prepared to crack in.

I'm certainly not going to be surprised or even that disappointed if we're not at our absolute peak this week.

Not sure why people think we’re losing to GWS if you listen to Voss he has no intention of losing regardless of team selection or GWS having to win.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree, we won’t be losing.
GWS at home beating up on Essendon is not a form line, it’s merely a gift of joy to the football public.

Is Kennedy not a more versatile sub than Dow.. Both have shown they can impact late in games when used as a Sub, but Kennedy can play almost anywhere on the ground if required, however Dow is quite limited in this aspect.. Have loved everything Dow has done since getting a chance but if we are purely talking about a sub role I am going with Bam Bam.
Good point, and agree on the MK versatility and impact - I’ve simply assumed he needs a few weeks run in the 2’s hence not considered him.
Might be a different story if we hear he’s (Matt) tearing up the paddock and fitness is well up

Ins: Boyd, McGovern, Cerra, Walsh, Fogarty
Outs: Cincotta, Fisher, Cripps, Cuningham, E Curnow
Hollands sub

Tough selection. Really want to keep Cunners, Hollands and Fisher but think all are on the cusp. Fisher, for all his impressive work in the past three weeks will be exposed defensively in finals.
Dow or Cuningham? With Cripps out and Cerra/Walsh coming back, we need more grunt for one more week.
Can we go with all of McGovern, Marchbank and Kemp? Get the feeling Marchy is highly rated and Kemp and McGovern are agile enough to play against mediums/smalls. Docherty goes back?
Pittonet serves an important role of immovable force. That, and the lack of a viable alternative, serve to support his continued selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back