Delisted 27 . Sam Menegola (2016 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Any idea why he only played 12 games?

Missed the start of the season with an ankle injury. As a junior played at HFF leading up into the midfield then became a midfielder. Won the colts premiership at East Fremantle with Cam Eardley. Was a better player than Cam. Good balance and can run all day.

Missed the start of the season with an ankle injury. As a junior played at HFF leading up into the midfield then became a midfielder. Won the colts premiership at East Fremantle with Cam Eardley. Was a better player than Cam. Good balance and can run all day.

Cam Eardley huh… pleased to hear he's doing well… still hard as I hope...:thumbsu:

And Sam is better than him…. looking forward to seeing that…\

Go Catters

I think he may have been talking about the two of them back in 2011, daz.

Ahh got it. I thought Cam was playing this year and won a flag. Not aware of all the teams over West…. thanks for the clarification!

Go Catters

Royal Eagle posted this in Knigtmare draft thread....

Menegola inside game and his quality clearances where he has changed his game the most.
His clearances are generally quality what i like is he gets first possession and gets mugged but because
of his size and positioning still gets of a quality clearance.
That's a trait at afl level will stand him in good stead.
Matty Priddis get the most first possessions in the AFL but regular coughs it
up under intense pressure, because he is targeted. This is something I think Menegola can be good at,
because he uses his size well and has good agility, and will asorb the pressure
and get of a quality clearance.

At the very min he is someone who is ready to play.

The question in my mind about most players like this would be ..is his fitness be up to pushing into our afl side straight away coming from wafl?Its a different level. Sam apparently has the tank. He can run it out...in this he is an immediate improvement on Jansen.

It sounds to me that just as Pure has mentioned ...he gives us mid/inside mid clearance coverage for Scooter and perhaps Duncan. My only issue with this pick ..is I feel guys like Smedts and Horlin Smith are keen and eager..they are ready to roll. If Sam still pushes into our best 22, past them.. it may prove to be an inspired pick. If he sits in the VFL and then is let go in two years without making an impact , it will just be a wasted chance to develop a young kid.

In the end its a gamble one way or another... if our Rookie picks are young then its probably an example of smart recruiting by gfc.

Royal Eagle posted this in Knigtmare draft thread....

At the very min he is someone who is ready to play.

The question in my mind about most players like this would be ..is his fitness be up to pushing into our afl side straight away coming from wafl?Its a different level. Sam apparently has the tank. He can run it out...in this he is an immediate improvement on Jansen.

It sounds to me that just as Pure has mentioned ...he gives us mid/inside mid clearance coverage for Scooter and perhaps Duncan. My only issue with this pick ..is I feel guys like Smedts and Horlin Smith are keen and eager..they are ready to roll. If Sam still pushes into our best 22, past them.. it may prove to be an inspired pick. If he sits in the VFL and then is let go in two years without making an impact , it will just be a wasted chance to develop a young kid.

In the end its a gamble one way or another... if our Rookie picks are young then its probably an example of smart recruiting by gfc.

Dare I say it but direct competition for Cowan? Positions aside a little they kinda sound the same type of player..

Go Catters

He is a stand out at the 2nd tier (was #1 ranked by Champion Data in WAFL). I agree with the above similar to Simpkin or Stringer type who were the same. He seems to play similar to Prismal too (remember him?). This guy though has good size and might be a bit better overhead than the other VFL dominant guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to admire the guy's determination to fight to get back on an AFL list. To be able to make a critical assessment of what is holding him back from playing AFL and then work to improve and rectify those areas shows terrific resolve. It sounds like, at the very least, he will provide a very handy backup to our midfield if anyone goes down and help to bring more competition for spots in our on ball division.

Edit: 2nd point what Turbo wrote above - half way through post before pausing for dinner!

You have to admire the guy's determination to fight to get back on an AFL list. To be able to make a critical assessment of what is holding him back from playing AFL and then work to improve and rectify those areas shows terrific resolve. It sounds like, at the very least, he will provide a very handy backup to our midfield if anyone goes down and help to bring more competition for spots in our on ball division.

Edit: 2nd point what Turbo wrote above - half way through post before pausing for dinner!

It sounds like the guy has the body for AFL and a terrific attitude. He deserves his chance.

It sounds like the guy has the body for AFL and a terrific attitude. He deserves his chance.

He is considerably bigger bodied than when he was drafted as a rookie by the Dawks.
I think that he is around 14kgs bigger but it obviously has not affected his running ability.
Will be one to watch.

Sure, he won't push out the star mids we have, but given a chance he maybe tough to push back to the vfl.

He'll start his journey as depth, but no!....I agree he's better than that,..no worries! Mid/HFF/FP, nothing is locked down by that younger group.
I rate him a real chance to play seniors 2016 a masterful selection.
Knowing how much value is put on versatility, Menegola may play in different positions, to gain AFL experience + if he is versatile, that may give him a good chance in the seniors.

With Johnson and Stokes gone and Kersten and Menzel not so certain to lock down the medium forward role he well may prove a revelation, his run and goal kicking talents looks obvious in that video. Wells made a great call with Sam.
Agree with you there meto. His endurance, speed + ability to kick goals will help us + give Menzel some time to be rotated, until he's up to AFL level fitness, which could still take time.

He is known for top end endurance. Don't think that will be his issue in cracking a game.
It seems we've gone from basketballers, to elite endurance athletes! I can see Menegola training with Blitz :thumbsu: :rainbow:

From memory the year he was at Hawthorn (don't remember him at Freo) they played him as HFF whereas at Subi they have used his gut running to transfer him into a clearance midfielder who can get it on the outside. I think probably he is there to be an upgrade on our midfield depth options (i.e. Gore and Jansen getting traded, upgrade on Cowan etc) which I think he is and also insurance for Scooter. But yes you would think med fwd might also be a go for him as on the highlights he is a good mark with a long kick and Kersten's lack of endurance will be a hinderance for him with the cap coming in, so Menegola has it there. At his age you would think we will play him in all the NAB games and see how he goes.
Bolded: will that be helpful to Motlop? Forgive my lack of knowledge regarding positions. I think it's frustrating at times when we can't get the ball to Motlop.
I like that he is older, which means body is strong + developed. Also very happy about his speed , endurance, marking + big kick.

Has anyone else heard that our four newest recruits will be at KP on Friday?

Bolded: will that be helpful to Motlop? Forgive my lack of knowledge regarding positions. I think it's frustrating at times when we can't get the ball to Motlop.
I like that he is older, which means body is strong + developed. Also very happy about his speed , endurance, marking + big kick.

Has anyone else heard that our four newest recruits will be at KP on Friday?
At the moment he would eat the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back