Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you honestly believe that a club would only be willing to part with pick 8 and nothing else for Cerra?

I don't believe Fremantle would accept only pick 8 and if they did our list management team should be looking for new jobs.

He is worth more than pick 6 alone. Let me just say that straight up. The problem is (and always has been) that he will nominate one club and one club only. Therefore, he is effectively only worth what that club is willing to pay as you can’t force a trade to another club without the players consent. That is the issue with the current trade climate the AFL has in place.

Say he nominates Team X and they are offering pick 6, it wouldn’t matter if Team Y is offering a first and a second (unless of course the player is willing to go to that team also). That’s just sadly how the current system works- and I think it’s a poor set up.

IF he nominates Carlton (and that’s still uncertain), I think that is an unfortunate scenario for Fremantle. We will not want to cave in like we did last year with the Saad deal, and Austin (the list manager) will be feeling immense pressure given the club wide review not to cave yet again. My opinion is the offer will be early on day one of trade period for pick 6 and I think the club will hold a firm stance with that being the most it is prepared to offer. If that isn’t enough to satisfy Fremantle, I think the club (rightly or wrongly) will just say that it is prepared to take its chances in the PSD or National Draft.

The PSD option can be manipulated. The player can refuse to do a medical with clubs, can set a price on his head and full contract terms.. in other words the player can force their way through to his club of choice. Given the media has said (if you can believe the media) that no other Victorian team has the salary space to fulfill Cerra’s demands, I think that would be a straightforward path to Carlton if it eventuated. No non-Victorian team would take the punt on a player clearly stating they want to be in Victoria- especially with Covid and the climate surrounding that.

The National Draft option is similar. The player can nominate his financial and other contract terms. North would likely take that SA kid Horn. GWS (who has Collingwood’s pick) would not draft a guy who wants to be in Victoria and at that salary. Same goes for Gold Coast and Adelaide. That leaves Hawthorn as the biggest risk and I doubt they would want to use a first round pick on those salary terms. I might be wrong with all of this, it’s just my opinion, but I feel both the PSD and ND are legitimate paths for Cerra to the Blues if discussions breakdown.

Like I said, I think Cerra is worth more than pick 6 alone. But I also feel like him nominating Carlton, if that happens, is a bad scenario for Fremantle for many reasons (the major one being it leaves Fremantle with very little leverage given the numerous paths to make it through to Carlton and being out of contract). What it does show once again, is that the trading climate in the AFL is absolutely broken and needs change.

Last edited:
He is worth more than pick 6 alone. Let me just say that straight up. The problem is (and always has been) that he will nominate one club and one club only. Therefore, he is effectively only worth what that club is willing to pay as you can’t force a trade to another club without the players consent. That is the issue with the current trade climate the AFL has in place.

That is a long post but I think we can easily put it to bed by looking at recent history.

Tim Kelly - Out of contract, West Coast had to pay his value.

Adam Saad - Out of Contract, Carlton had to pay his value.

Adam Treloar - Out of Contract, Collingwood had to pay his value.

I agree that once a player nominates a club, they get there. I agree that Carlton will pay his worth and agree that he is worth more than pick 6.

Say he nominates Team X and they are offering pick 6, it wouldn’t matter if Team Y is offering a first and a second (unless of course the player is willing to go to that team also). That’s just sadly how the current system works- and I think it’s a poor set up.

IF he nominates Carlton (and that’s still uncertain), I think that is an unfortunate scenario for Fremantle. We will not want to cave in like we did last year with the Saad deal, and Austin (the list manager) will be feeling immense pressure given the club wide review not to cave yet again. My opinion is the offer will be early on day one of trade period for pick 6 and I think the club will hold a firm stance with that being the most it is prepared to offer. If that isn’t enough to satisfy Fremantle, I think the club (rightly or wrongly) will just say that it is prepared to take its chances in the PSD or National Draft.

The PSD option can be manipulated. The player can refuse to do a medical with clubs, can set a price on his head and full contract terms.. in other words the player can force their way through to his club of choice. Given the media has said (if you can believe the media) that no other Victorian team has the salary space to fulfill Cerra’s demands, I think that would be a straightforward path to Carlton if it eventuated. No non-Victorian team would take the punt on a player clearly stating they want to be in Victoria- especially with Covid and the climate surrounding that.

The National Draft option is similar. The player can nominate his financial and other contract terms. North would likely take that SA kid Horn. GWS (who has Collingwood’s pick) would not draft a guy who wants to be in Victoria and at that salary. Same goes for Gold Coast and Adelaide. That leaves Hawthorn as the biggest risk and I doubt they would want to use a first round pick on those salary terms. I might be wrong with all of this, it’s just my opinion, but I feel both the PSD and ND are legitimate paths for Cerra to the Blues if discussions breakdown.

Like I said, I think Cerra is worth more than pick 6 alone. But I also feel like him nominating Carlton, if that happens, is a bad scenario for Fremantle for many reasons (the major one being it leaves Fremantle with very little leverage given the numerous paths to make it through to Carlton and being out of contract). What it does show once again, is that the trading climate in the AFL is absolutely broken and needs change.
Any Melbourne team will take Cerra. He goes PSD North take him straight away. He goes National draft then Hawks will take him. We will not accept under's and Peter Bell and club officials have already stated this!! Don't kid yourself mate. There is no way this deal gets done for Pick 8!! Call the pick what it is.

At the end of the day, the precedence has been set by previous trade period results. If a half back flanker who isn’t better than Nick Hind goes for a top 10 pick, you can bet your sweet blossoms that a 21 year old midfielder who’s commanding 700k+ a season is going to go for ALOT more.

realistically the deal will look like this: pick 6, next years first and one of the following players; Silvagni or Dow.

Any Melbourne team will take Cerra. He goes PSD North take him straight away. He goes National draft then Hawks will take him. We will not accept under's and Peter Bell and club officials have already stated this!! Don't kid yourself mate. There is no way this deal gets done for Pick 8!! Call the pick what it is.

Respectfully disagree. I can’t see North taking him through the PSD if he refuses to do a medical with them. I also can’t see Hawks taking him in the ND when the salary is factored in and no medical. I doubt Cerra ends up in either the PSD or ND for what it’s worth, but it is possible. As much as Bell may not want to accept unders, Austin is also under immense pressure after last year and the review not to pay a kings ransom. It will be a reasonably fair deal that is done.

Respectfully disagree. I can’t see North taking him through the PSD if he refuses to do a medical with them. I also can’t see Hawks taking him in the ND when the salary is factored in and no medical. I doubt Cerra ends up in either the PSD or ND for what it’s worth, but it is possible. As much as Bell may not want to accept unders, Austin is also under immense pressure after last year and the review not to pay a kings ransom. It will be a reasonably fair deal that is done.
A 21 year old who was Taken with Pick 5 and has played 70 odd games for Fremantle finishing in the top 5 best and fairest will not go for just pick 8 mate. We can be clear on that :). Also Austins Pressure means nothing too Fremantle. Respectfully why would we care?

You guys are all forgetting that he’s requested a trade to Victoria. Not Carlton. Just because there’s gossip that other teams with high picks won’t trade or pay his wage demands is stupid. He’s a great young man who Freo think of highly and I doubt he’d burn his bridges and go PSD.

You Carlton fans are delusional honestly. You paid a top 10 pick for Adam Saad, no offence but you’re gonna pay twice as much for a bloke who’s got more talent in his left pinky toe than Saad.

At the end of the day, the precedence has been set by previous trade period results. If a half back flanker who isn’t better than Nick Hind goes for a top 10 pick, you can bet your sweet blossoms that a 21 year old midfielder who’s commanding 700k+ a season is going to go for ALOT more.

realistically the deal will look like this: pick 6, next years first and one of the following players; Silvagni or Dow.
It will be pick 6 and the equivalent of a second rounder ( probably next year ) - Freo supporters just have to give up on the fantasy of 2 first rounders and equally Carlton fans need to give up on theirs that it will be pick 6 alone

A 21 year old who was Taken with Pick 5 and has played 70 odd games for Fremantle finishing in the top 5 best and fairest will not go for just pick 8 mate. We can be clear on that :). Also Austins Pressure means nothing too Fremantle. Respectfully why would we care?

Can see your stance on this. But I can also see that Austin will still want to look good given the review and overpaying for Saad last year. Things aren’t always so clear cut and black and white so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

You guys are all forgetting that he’s requested a trade to Victoria. Not Carlton. Just because there’s gossip that other teams with high picks won’t trade or pay his wage demands is stupid. He’s a great young man who Freo think of highly and I doubt he’d burn his bridges and go PSD.

You’re right, and this is the crux of it all. It will all depend on whether he does nominate just one team which history suggests tends to happen. Then other factors come into play- Bell, Austin, team salary caps, medical etc. Anyway I’ve said my bit.. if he nominates Carlton, I think it will be pick 6(8) alone or 6(8) + our second for Cerra and a 3rd. If I turn out to be wrong I’ll happily be the first to concede.

Actually im really hoping for Richmond more than Carlton. They have more picks to work with. If you guys end up giving 8,25 and SPS you guys will still be winning this trade. How likely are we to draft someone the same or better than Cerra? Odds are we wont
I don't know why Freo are fawning for Richmond to get Cerra. They've won 3 flags in 4 years....

I still don't get the Carlton hate. Half of you Freo supporters would accept less from Richmond as long as he doesn't go to Carlton.

I don't know why Freo are fawning for Richmond to get Cerra. They've won 3 flags in 4 years....

I still don't get the Carlton hate. Half of you Freo supporters would accept less from Richmond as long as he doesn't go to Carlton.
Its not Carlton hate mate. Honestly dont mind Carlton at all and dont think you are far off. I just get sick of reading supporters who say pick 8 is enough. It clearly isnt.
Former pick 5 who has played 70 odd games who has finished top 5 in last year and probably this years bnf. We are getting screwed if we accept pick 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not Carlton hate mate. Honestly dont mind Carlton at all and dont think you are far off. I just get sick of reading supporters who say pick 8 is enough. It clearly isnt.
Former pick 5 who has played 70 odd games who has finished top 5 in last year and probably this years bnf. We are getting screwed if we accept pick 8
If he nominates Carlton I think you'll get offered pick 6(8), a 2nd, plus SPS for Cerra and a third in return.

That is more than reasonable.

Either way, all out of our control, let's see who Cerra nominates.

If he nominates Carlton I think you'll get offered pick 6(8), a 2nd, plus SPS for Cerra and a third in return.

That is more than reasonable.

Either way, all out of our control, let's see who Cerra nominates.
Yeah mate all out of our control! Id likely accept that as well. I dont see him being worth 2 firsts yet but trust me on this. He will be in future! Gonna be a gun

If richmond gave there 2 firsts for cerra I would be disappointed. Nice player with a decent scope. But our best first and a second would be all I would accept. Prestia went for similar and at that stage had more runs on the board than cerra. But all this discussion of richmond is irrelevant. Hasn't the club pretty much said they aren't interested.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

You Carlton fans are delusional honestly. You paid a top 10 pick for Adam Saad, no offence but you’re gonna pay twice as much for a bloke who’s got more talent in his left pinky toe than Saad.
Impressive that in a thread full of bullshit this is the most ridiculous suggestion there is.

2 firsts, one of them a guarantee to be top 10 and and the other likely very close, AND a player?? Have we gone back to 2007 and we’re trading for Chris Judd again?

This is up there with Blues fans suggesting 2nd + SPS. The starting point should and will be pick 6 - that alone undervalues Cerra and we’ll need to add something of value to get the trade done. That “something of value” will not be another first round pick AND a player

Yeah mate all out of our control! Id likely accept that as well. I dont see him being worth 2 firsts yet but trust me on this. He will be in future! Gonna be a gun
Agreed he is a gun. Leaving your club at the wrong time. Best case scenario he signs for three years, requests a trade in 2.

If he continued to improve he's worth two first rounders.

I
Impressive that in a thread full of bullshit this is the most ridiculous suggestion there is.

2 firsts, one of them a guarantee to be top 10 and and the other likely very close, AND a player?? Have we gone back to 2007 and we’re trading for Chris Judd again?

This is up there with Blues fans suggesting 2nd + SPS. The starting point should and will be pick 6 - that alone undervalues Cerra and we’ll need to add something of value to get the trade done. That “something of value” will not be another first round pick AND a player
i mean it would all depend on what we gave back for 2 firsts to be considered. I actually believe you guys will be in the 8 next year.

I

i mean it would all depend on what we gave back for 2 firsts to be considered. I actually believe you guys will be in the 8 next year.
I wasn’t addressing the prospect of 2 firsts. The poster I quoted said the deal would be 2 firsts PLUS a player for Cerra, which is flagrantly ridiculous.

Even if Carlton make the 8 next year - I think it’s more than reasonable to suggest it would be the bottom half of the 8 which would have the pick around 12.

FWIW I still think 6 + ~12 is more than I would be willing to trade for Cerra, regardless of what Freo realistically send back. 6 + a second for Cerra alone or with a token late pick is on the mark IMO

I wasn’t addressing the prospect of 2 firsts. The poster I quoted said the deal would be 2 firsts PLUS a player for Cerra, which is flagrantly ridiculous.

Even if Carlton make the 8 next year - I think it’s more than reasonable to suggest it would be the bottom half of the 8 which would have the pick around 12.

FWIW I still think 6 + ~12 is more than I would be willing to trade for Cerra, regardless of what Freo realistically send back. 6 + a second for Cerra alone or with a token late pick is on the mark IMO
Agreed!! The trade I would like is 8,25 and SPS or Dow for Cerra and a third. Really don't know if Dow is on the market or if he is better than SPS. Both have been very average and I fear another acres.

Back