Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not many, and you know why? Because the spectre of the PSD hangs over the deals when the player wants to head to a low finishing side, so they get done more often than not.

That's the point.
Do you have an example where you think it has impacted trade value? I can’t think of any examples of a high profile player going to a bottom club and impacting trade value

edit: Additionally, why you have extended it to bottom 2 and not just bottom?

Freo has all the leveridge in this because Cerra wants to get home. Other clubs are more than happy to trade for him so if push came to shove why would Cerra completely screw over a club thats treated him well in order to please some malicious list manager? Carlton and Richmond would 100% offer a fair trade as both have been linked to him a long time now. Hawks and North fans need to buzz off with this PSD crap, it ruins these threads

North and Hawthorn are bottom 2. Either side could finish bottom at this point.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of many players who've wanted to head home to a bottom 2 club to begin with.
Yes the only one I can think of is Judd and safe to say his value wasn’t effected in the slightest

Yes the only one I can think of is Judd and safe to say his value wasn’t effected in the slightest
Was the PSD being used in such a way even a thing then, it's so long ago I can't even remember.

Freo has all the leveridge in this because Cerra wants to get home. Other clubs are more than happy to trade for him so if push came to shove why would Cerra completely screw over a club thats treated him well in order to please some malicious list manager? Carlton and Richmond would 100% offer a fair trade as both have been linked to him a long time now. Hawks and North fans need to buzz off with this PSD crap, it ruins these threads
Hey, don't lump us in with these Hawks fans. Cerra is worth a top 10 pick + more, regardless of whoever has pick 1 in the PSD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the PSD being used in such a way even a thing then, it's so long ago I can't even remember.
I believe Judd specifically told Carlton to make sure WC was compensated fairly due to threat of PSD but Incant find an article on it at the moment

When does a player ever say 'get me to one of these clubs', he will negotiate with clubs and pick whatever is best for him. That club will negotiate with Freo at that point, i doubt Cerra is involved in those talks at all.

The PSD threat is boring i agree, but in no way does a club with an out of contract young gun wanting to return home (Working on the assumption here that is the case) have the leverage. Push comes to shove if it gets to the last ay of trade period and he is wanting a trade and it is yet to happen Freo would be absolutely desperate to get a trade done over losing him for nothing.

If Cerra is going home, he will have three things to consider: Money, Potential of the club and the stability of the club.

Hawthorn and North Melbourne are in the middle of a rebuild.

Carlton and Collingwood are pretty unstable at the moment.

Tigers, Cats, and Dogs won’t have the cash.

Melbourne don’t need him.

That only leaves the Saints and the Bombers.

Bombers seems to be fit for Cerra.

Cerra is not Jack Martin.
I am fairly certain that a person of his character, who loves the club and his teammates, who would “like” to return home “at some point “ will not allow another club to dick Freo around with PSD threats.
In fact, he’d be more likely to agree to a one year deal here, and try again with a club with some integrity next year.

opinion of course. Just like all of you. But as Lore said, (ad-lobbing of course) stick a fork in this argument, he’s done.

trade value:
1. Early first, late second, with something small back
2. 2x late firsts, with a second back
3. Pick 1 or 2 and a second, for our first and second back.

#2 is most likely, I think tigers are the only ones genuinely in the race.

Yeh he wont be walked into the psd, zero chance that happens he also wouldn't want that for freo .

It just Seems his value varies alot though between supporters. For freo a mid 1st and early second this year is the perfect spot for some of these wa talls. Then a pick upgrade next year could be worked into it, it's not a high pick but is higher on points and what freo supporter really wants to take another Vic metro kid this year?.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh he wont be walked into the psd, zero chance that happens he also wouldn't want that for freo .

It just Seems his value varies alot though between supporters. For freo a mid 1st and early second this year is the perfect spot for some of these wa talls. Then a pick upgrade next year could be worked into it, it's not a high pick but is higher on points and what freo supporter really wants to take another Vic metro kid this year?.

Why wouldn't Freo take another Vic Metro kid?

Should Melbourne never take another WA kid because Hogan requested a trade to WA?

If Cerra chooses to leave the club should be looking at creating a better environment to hold onto future players like Cerra who are full of talent, not being scared and only picking WA kids.

Isn't something like 75% of talent from Vic? For a club to admit that they can't take Vic Metro kids because they aren't good enough to retain them would be an indictment on the club and they should be moved to Tasmania.

Quite a lot of players hope for fair deals for their former club. Dangerfield was pretty vocal about wanting the Crows to get fair compensation.

Jack martin
He didn’t actually get traded for less though. Gold Coast were apparently happy to let him walk and make an example of him rather than take less.
Carlton by all accounts offered a 2nd and 3rd for him as well, which, on actual output isn’t far off a fair deal

He didn’t actually get traded for less though. Gold Coast were apparently happy to let him walk and make an example of him rather than take less.
Carlton by all accounts offered a 2nd and 3rd for him as well, which, on actual output isn’t far off a fair deal
On output after the fact, yes.

but carlton were offering $700k a year for 5 years for a player about to enter their prime years. Literally the exact same that teams are offering for cerra, and freo fans want a first and second round minimum, some want 2 first round. Carlton knew they had the suns over a barrel and offered their spare change. Luckily for Freo, carlton wont have that same power this year.

Back