Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I remember Cerra's camp saying Carlton being one of the few clubs who could give up a fair deal was a factor as well.
Of course. Trade period gets framed sometimes as the start of negotiations but really clubs have weighed the likely cost of a player ahead of time and then are just haggling over the exact deals.

If he was available for a 3rd rounder every Vic club would've had a nibble, but this year the cap was so tight that it ruled out a lot of clubs automatically. Then even though a 22 year old makes perfect sense for almost every club they all found ways to not be that keen.

I think it's more than defensible from every club. There's no one I can identify and say they really should've put a good pick on the table and gone after him. Although Hawthorn, Rich and Ess are probably the 3 who I'd say had good cases to get involved.

I think I remember Cerra's camp saying Carlton being one of the few clubs who could give up a fair deal was a factor as well.
Richmond and Hawks could have easily given "fair" compo, he's also a player I would have thought was exactly what both teams need. I'm still perplexed as to why they didnt seem to go very hard for him, guess we'll see how Gibcus and Ward turn out

Richmond and Hawks could have easily given "fair" compo, he's also a player I would have thought was exactly what both teams need. I'm still perplexed as to why they didnt seem to go very hard for him, guess we'll see how Gibcus and Ward turn out

Hawthorn I could understand not bidding, given they are all in for a total rebuild under Mitchell, but Richmond could have easily gazzumped us with two first round draft picks, which would have extended their flag window whilst Dusty is still in his prime.

Guess they didn't rate or value him as much as we (Carlton did)

Of course. Trade period gets framed sometimes as the start of negotiations but really clubs have weighed the likely cost of a player ahead of time and then are just haggling over the exact deals.

If he was available for a 3rd rounder every Vic club would've had a nibble, but this year the cap was so tight that it ruled out a lot of clubs automatically. Then even though a 22 year old makes perfect sense for almost every club they all found ways to not be that keen.

I think it's more than defensible from every club. There's no one I can identify and say they really should've put a good pick on the table and gone after him. Although Hawthorn, Rich and Ess are probably the 3 who I'd say had good cases to get involved.

Are you suggesting all these clubs could satisfy Freo ?

Are you suggesting all these clubs could satisfy Freo ?
Hawks had pick 7, Richmond pick 9 so those are obvious. Essendon had pick 13 so would’ve had to mix in some other things but not impossible.

Almost every club could’ve got to pick 8 and a future 3rd if they wanted to and could put 2 firsts on the table.

But for most clubs I doubt it got that far. They just weren’t as keen as usually they’d be for a guy of Cerra’s class due to the cap and particular situations.

Hawthorn I could understand not bidding, given they are all in for a total rebuild under Mitchell, but Richmond could have easily gazzumped us with two first round draft picks, which would have extended their flag window whilst Dusty is still in his prime.

Richmond lack inside mids to feed him the ball. I doubt he would have made a difference to them extending their window. Hawks have too many inside mids so I would have thought he'd complement them more.

Maybe the plan with both teams is to bottom out properly and have a decent crack in the future. Rarely does the big name trade pay off with a flag but that might just be the nature of the industry and how hard it is to win one.

Richmond will definitely regret it

Hawks had pick 7, Richmond pick 9 so those are obvious. Essendon had pick 13 so would’ve had to mix in some other things but not impossible.

Almost every club could’ve got to pick 8 and a future 3rd if they wanted to and could put 2 firsts on the table.

But for most clubs I doubt it got that far. They just weren’t as keen as usually they’d be for a guy of Cerra’s class due to the cap and particular situations.
Essendon should have traded Shiel to relieve cap space and given their first pick for him, the bombers would have had cerra, McGrath, Merrett, parish as their miss all 22-27

Essendon should have traded Shiel to relieve cap space and given their first pick for him, the bombers would have had cerra, McGrath, Merrett, parish as their miss all 22-27
Better balance as well, almost impossible in AFL world to kick a player out like that though (unless you want to be the butt of all jokes ala Ned Guy the rest of your life).

Richmond will definitely regret it
Yeah I was hoping we would pick him up as I really rate Cerra. I thought he was worth a first and a second and that’s what Freo probably would have got from us.

As it pans out, we are probably talking about Gibcus and Sonsie. We missed a quality player and the Blues should be chuffed, but I’m really happy seeing these two in the yellow and black.

I wouldn’t do the deal now knowing that’s probably what we would have had to give up.

The big question here is whether Amiss is the quality compo Freo expect. Hopefully he’s a 10 year player for them and everyone’s a winner.

Yeah I was hoping we would pick him up as I really rate Cerra. I thought he was worth a first and a second and that’s what Freo probably would have got from us.

As it pans out, we are probably talking about Gibcus and Sonsie. We missed a quality player and the Blues should be chuffed, but I’m really happy seeing these two in the yellow and black.

I wouldn’t do the deal now knowing that’s probably what we would have had to give up.

The big question here is whether Amiss is the quality compo Freo expect. Hopefully he’s a 10 year player for them and everyone’s a winner.
Be a while IMO before he plays, we will need to be look after him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be a while IMO before he plays, we will need to be look after him.
Yeah I’m hoping it works out for you. Talls take time, and I did hear that recruiters thought he had more potential than others by getting into an AFL system, something he was at a bit of a disadvantage at in his junior years.

Yeah I’m hoping it works out for you. Talls take time, and I did hear that recruiters thought he had more potential than others by getting into an AFL system, something he was at a bit of a disadvantage at in his junior years.
Needs to beef up + gain competitive experience at a higher level

Cerra is ready to do really well

Cerra is 22. Perfect for a young rebuilding team. He has 8 years at least of good footy in front of him. Hawks, Roos, Pies should all have had a crack.

I never really warmed to him as a player , in some ways it’s for the best that he left

If we are going to get anywhere most of our best players should be WA lads. Paying overs to keep talented vic metro kids will hurt us in the long run

Jordan Clark looked like a pretty good backup plan today

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Exactly not for 2 first rounders as suggested for the gazump. That’s preposterous especially when you consider the wraps on Gibcus. Sonsie by all account could be the slider of the draft. We’ll get the next Martin as a free agent thank you.

Exactly not for 2 first rounders as suggested for the gazump. That’s preposterous especially when you consider the wraps on Gibcus. Sonsie by all account could be the slider of the draft. We’ll get the next Martin as a free agent thank you.
File this away for reference in about 4-5 years, Gibcus went at pick 9, Rhett Bazzo at pick 37.

See if you can pick the difference then.
Right now I think Bazzo will be more versatile.

File this away for reference in about 4-5 years, Gibcus went at pick 9, Rhett Bazzo at pick 37.

See if you can pick the difference then.
Right now I think Bazzo will be more versatile.

Let’s do it! I hope civilisation will still be around in that time.

Richmond I can understand. Either Dusty, Prestia, Graham, Bolton, Lambert, Edwards is good enough to be top 4 midfield for the next 2 years without Cerra or they aren’t. Because after that they’ll need to start restocking their talls and depth which is what they’ve decided to do now. They might’ve taken their flag odds in the next two years from 10% to 12% with Cerra but ultimately decided that’s not worth the cost of giving up a gun CHB prospect.

Hawthorn as well, they were heavily invested in trying to get up the draft order and probably thought they were getting a top 5 pick until the last 3 rounds.

Every club has valid reasons, the salary cap crunch really killed last years trade period, it’s just a surprise with 10 clubs there was so little interest. Probably didn’t save Carlton any thing in the trade but might’ve cost Cerra a few hundred thousand!

Back