Who won this trade?

• Essendon

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Carlton

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Seri

Serious Question, would Saad be in your top 10 players?
Cripps, Walsh, Curnow (whenfit) Williams now, Mckay, Doucherty, Weitering,
Are you concerned at all about future salary cap issues? paying 2 x half back flankers 1.4-1.5m? Cripps will get 1m next year? Walsh alot and your 2 keys alot also?
I think carlton are doing the right thing, hes in the good age bracket, you may have to pay overs but thats the market i suppose, we want more, Carlton dont want to pay too much which is fair enough.
I think he would and i rate him in the Top 3 at his position in the league so it is a clear Yes. The problem is the HBF role changes so quickly and it is not like we are talking about an A grade midfielder. He does fit the age profile and speed we are chasing though as we are pretty slow in certain areas of the ground and Saad fixes this even more so with Simmo retiring, and Williams will be played in the middle for us.

I’m not as upset as many about losing him. We are going nowhere and we shouldn’t be offering him anywhere near what he wants. Take a pick in the late teens, early 20’s, bank the money and do a proper rebuild. I’d be cutting a whole lot more from this list too if I was in charge of list management. Load up on picks and start fresh

I agree, Carltons rebuild has taken 5 years and still haven't made finals, but we didn't have as many assets in 2015 as Essendon do now.

Make the hard call and get as many top 20 picks as you can for players over 23-24, go through 3 years of pain then start climbing up the ladder with a chance of being a powerhouse side/winning a premiership.

The alternatives are carry on as you are then in 3 years start a rebuild with no assets

or be s**t forever like north

Reminder, given there is over a month to run till trade period, if you cant play nice, you wont play at all and thread bans will be handed out without warnings.

The thread is to discuss the trade of Saad, not who has been worse for longer (spoiler, both teams have been average for a while)

I think he would and i rate him in the Top 3 at his position in the league so it is a clear Yes. The problem is the HBF role changes so quickly and it is not like we are talking about an A grade midfielder. He does fit the age profile and speed we are chasing though as we are pretty slow in certain areas of the ground and Saad fixes this even more so with Simmo retiring, and Williams will be played in the middle for us.
He is a good get, but is a HBF, dont get me wrong i wanted to keep him, perfect replacment for simmo, you may have to pay overs ie pick 7 if you cant get a mid first rounder in some how.

We offered Martin more than what we've offered Saad....and got him for free (trade/draft wise). I know circumstances are different here...but its proves that money doesn't necessarily mean higher draft pick...means nothing really.
GCS were also gifted picks 1, 19 plus 11 in the next years draft.
I imagine the glut of picks gave them appetite to make a stand and walk him to the PSD.

Seri

Serious Question, would Saad be in your top 10 players?
Cripps, Walsh, Curnow (whenfit) Williams now, Mckay, Doucherty, Weitering,
Are you concerned at all about future salary cap issues? paying 2 x half back flankers 1.4-1.5m? Cripps will get 1m next year? Walsh alot and your 2 keys alot also?
I think carlton are doing the right thing, hes in the good age bracket, you may have to pay overs but thats the market i suppose, we want more, Carlton dont want to pay too much which is fair enough.

It’s a good problem to have. Martin would like be in our best 10 too, but likely Saad is.

1. Cripps
2. Weitering
3. Walsh
4. Williams
5. Curnow
6. Docherty
7. Jones
8. McKay
9. Martin
10. Saad

Something like that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminder, given there is over a month to run till trade period, if you cant play nice, you wont play at all and thread bans will be handed out without warnings.

The thread is to discuss the trade of Saad, not who has been worse for longer (spoiler, both teams have been average for a while)
can we ban discussion of what the deal will entail?

I think it will be pick 7 and then
Something back to Carlton.

Does that ever happen? Usually the party on the picks side uses 2-3 round picks to upgrade their offer, not the other way around

Over the past few years there’s lots of examples of this - Neale, Kelly, Shiel, McGovern trades where the team getting the player added a value.

I can’t think of a case where a team went ‘first round pick for a player plus a second’

Based on recent history I think it’s far more likely Carlton trade 7 for two later picks, and then flip 15ish for Saad. If Essendon kick and scream I suspect we throw in a second or third on top too

thats only because you were deliberately stingy because you knew you could take him in the psd. cant do that this time, youll have to actually deal with a club on reasonable terms this time.
I get all that...but that wasnt the point of my post.
How were we stingy...we not paying Martin enough? Everyone was losing their minds over how much we threw at him...yet we were stingy....go figure!

He is a good get, but is a HBF, dont get me wrong i wanted to keep him, perfect replacment for simmo, you may have to pay overs ie pick 7 if you cant get a mid first rounder in some how.

I think its be similar to the Yarran trade. We held until we got the late first rounder and i expect Essendon to do the same.

It’s funny that Essendon posters say Pick 7.

All other teams posters say mid to late first round. I think this is more accurate

That just happens to be the pick you have. Pick 7 this year will end up netting us the 11-12th best player in the draft which probably isn’t far off the money. If you can turn it into a pick in the mid teens then so be it.

Trying to be as unbiased as possible here.
Looking at historical trades for similar players, I reckon he's probably worth a high 2nd plus a 3rd, or 2 x 2nds at most. Points-wise that probably values him around pick 12-13, but I wouldn't want to use a 1st on him unless we had no other plan for that pick.
Using #7 with something back our way might work out about the same point-wise, but I'd rather look at making a deal with Cats to get 2 x late 1sts and use one of them.
One things for sure, luring him over was the easy part (I actually though he was just contract posturing for a fairer deal and would stay), now comes the hard part... Dodoro.

Carl jezzajay Kruzering

Only thing that is HAHA is your shitty clubs league positions year in year out for the past 20 years. And your dozens and dozens of high draft picks in the process which has led to 3-5 finals wins in 20 years. HAHA.
ok trollop....haha....what has you so salty...lost another target!?

Back