Injury All things COVID-19 - including the impact on Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice reflection. Born 4 decades before you. This is the most significant world event of my 60 odd year life time, and you worded it really well.
I am talking about this to my grandson- he has no idea at 18 months, but he will grow up knowing how not to cough or sneeze on people, and about the importance of personal hand hygiene etc.
This whole process seems apocalyptic and whether this is part of The Rapture- who knows. After the recovery phase, I doubt that we will go back to bad habits anyway.

Vdubs ... I think if this was that... the virus would go hidden for weeks inside someone, and then when it struck it woudl have the mortality of Smallpox or something like that. This thing seems to be hovering at around 1% in Australia atm, and most are heading for Bradmans batting average in age not quite the call be StPeter to the gates for all.

As you have a certain degree of knowledge in the health industry let me ask... in the old days before vacines , I can remember some dramas like John Adams showing doctors directly infecting patients from the sores of the infected.. so they would get the disease and get over it. Could the deliberately invect the players and then after a two week period they all would be over it and have "Herd Immunity"... obviously they would be observed and nursed but if the recover from it was reasonable would all the players be immune and playing in 4/6 weeks time?

Last edited:
Tasmania are introducing a compulsory 14 day self quarantine period for anyone travelling to the Apple Isle, effective from midnight tonight. Could be interesting to see what happens with the games North and Hawthorn are due to host there.

I think there will be a heap of changes to the location of games as this goes on.

For as much as the season goes on without crowds, this does actually suit Geelong to a tee. We have the least partisan home crowd in the league and our advantage at home is more to do with the actual dimensions of the ground. Then we tend to fold when the opposition crowd is particularly vociferous. There will be plenty more upsets for the away team this season. But the cattery will remain a stifling nightmare for teams.

In conclusion, Geelong will win the premiership to an empty stadium in 2020. You heard it here first.

Vdubs ... I think if this was that... the virus would go hidden for weeks inside someone, and then when it struck it woudl have the mortality of Smallpox or something like that. This thing seems to be hovering at around 1% in Australia atm, and most are heading for Bradmans batting average in age not quite the call be StPeter to the gates for all.

As you have a certain degree of knowledge in the health industry let me ask... in the old days before vacines , I can remember some dramas like John Adams showing doctors directly infecting patients from the sores of the infected.. so they would get the disease and get over it. Could the deliberately invect the players and then after a two week period they all would be over it and have "Herd Immunity"... obviously they would be observed and nursed but if the recover from it was reasonable would all the players be immune and playing in 4/6 weeks time?
I think Holland is doing that for civilians, protecting those most at risk.
Too many unknowns.
We are not even sure yet if one exposure gives immunity.
There were claims of some Chinese getting it twice, but that could have been part of the new Covid tests.

Could have been said already... but I think this horrible situation could be an opportunity for the game’s popularity overseas. With almost all major sporting codes around the world being postponed/cancelled etc, the AFL pretty well has clear air in the sporting world.

Why not try and do a deal with the likes of ESPN to take some more games into new markets? I’m sure there would be plenty of sports fans across the globe who are at a loss for what to watch whilst this is all going on, so could it be a way to expand interest in footy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have been said already... but I think this horrible situation could be an opportunity for the game’s popularity overseas. With almost all major sporting codes around the world being postponed/cancelled etc, the AFL pretty well has clear air in the sporting world.

Why not try and do a deal with the likes of ESPN to take some more games into new markets? I’m sure there would be plenty of sports fans across the globe who are at a loss for what to watch whilst this is all going on, so could it be a way to expand interest in footy?
interstingly enough....

Fox Soccer plus covers the game for 4 live games per week.

They are currently listed as showing all games live right now. There is literally no other live sport they have coverage of.

This could be an error and will be fixed too -

GO Catters

I think Holland is doing that for civilians, protecting those most at risk.
Too many unknowns.
We are not even sure yet if one exposure gives immunity.
There were claims of some Chinese getting it twice, but that could have been part of the new Covid tests.

Its an interesting link and another article on that website they have a virus podcast talking about 18 months. That expert talked about left hand and right in an educated manner ...should be more of that type of info imo.

yet there is little doubt there is more infected people than have tested positive , and we have "only". 6-7 people atm that have their death attributed to this thing. More die on the roads each w/end. So obviously all are acting about the potential ..what happens if there is no action.

Another hole in my idea I think article described the virus as 'respiratory' when talking about Herd Immunity.

With any infectious disease, particularly respiratory ones such as coronaviruses, a primary public health goal is herd immunity," says Dr Silva.
But Dr Silva says a vaccine, which could be 18 months away, is one of the best and safest ways to do that.

I had bronchial pneumonia as a teen and it knocked me around for 6-8 weeks (from memory) and to this day I still get a tad of it if I get a bit crook etc. I dare say if all the players were given the virus..there may be some who have their career threatened..they may not get their lung capacity immediately back.
So really a vaccine is the HI solution.

Last edited:
interstingly enough....

Fox Soccer plus covers the game for 4 live games per week.

They are currently listed as showing all games live right now. There is literally no other live sport they have coverage of.

This could be an error and will be fixed too -

GO Catters

On the soccer channel ? That sort of tells us where we sit..

bullshit they are.

No schools are closed for the year.

A few weeks - absolutely. Dont make s**t up. There is enough crap floating around right now without you having to add to it..

GO Catters

Im not sure anyone could say things are locked in for a month let alone a year atm. It does seem several experts have mentioned that short term seclusion has the possibility of seeing the thing return in a second wave ..but so many experts , so many opinions , so many countries doing it different ways..

Maybe. Be we will probably follow the US cos we are a white anglo country.

Although there is also a big difference between us and Singapore. Singapore is on the equator and the disease thrives more in colder climates. We are now heading towards winter. singapore is in part saved due to geography.
Its also one of the most densely populated places on earth, which you'd think would make it harder to contain a virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back