Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recovery is the main ingredient for performance.

Don't understate the pressure of being a Collingwood footballer - monitored by the media and the general public 24/7, 44 weeks of the year.

They are well within their rights to take time off and stay away from the club - provided they don't hit the burgers and beers too hard.

Recovery is fine, but guys 4 years plus on the list will get circa 10 weeks off. That’s not recovery it’s when atrophy sets in. If I were to be blunt not returning to the club for that group before the pre-season officially kicks off is laziness.

I’m also not denying their right to that break. It’s all about providing them with the tools to be the best they can be in their chosen field. Take Broomhead or Ramsay as examples their careers are in the balance so if they just take their full ten weeks it says more about their commitment to the lifestyle than anything else. It’s about a sense of pride and to see our boys back early fills me with a slight buzz whereas if they all just show up on day one without putting in extra work it’s a sign of their commitment.

Do you think Buckley achieved what he did by taking the full break? Or Pendles? Remember Ball after his trade fell through? Hell Jack Higgins quit school this year to focus full time on footy. Is it really that much to say I’d be disappointed if they weren’t at least making some effort to get back to the club early?..

Recovery is fine, but guys 4 years plus on the list will get circa 10 weeks off. That’s not recovery it’s when atrophy sets in. If I were to be blunt not returning to the club for that group before the pre-season officially kicks off is laziness.

I’m also not denying their right to that break. It’s all about providing them with the tools to be the best they can be in their chosen field. Take Broomhead or Ramsay as examples their careers are in the balance so if they just take their full ten weeks it says more about their commitment to the lifestyle than anything else. It’s about a sense of pride and to see our boys back early fills me with a slight buzz whereas if they all just show up on day one without putting in extra work it’s a sign of their commitment.

Do you think Buckley achieved what he did by taking the full break? Or Pendles? Remember Ball after his trade fell through? Hell Jack Higgins quit school this year to focus full time on footy. Is it really that much to say I’d be disappointed if they weren’t at least making some effort to get back to the club early?..

It's such a finite career. That's what I keep thinking of. If you are serious about being a professional footballer and there's potentially hundreds of thousands at stake, surely you would leave no stone unturned.

I remember being in a park many years ago and seeing Brett Lee go sprinting past me, with his personal trainer by his side, barking at him. At that point Lee was out of the international cricket scene and there wasn't any domestic cricket happening. There were a few murmurs in the park about a washed up has-been wasting his time.

It would have been a matter of months later that he returned to form and got back in the Aussie side, bowling well and raking in the cash.
I mean they are all fit as bulls and work their tails off, but if you are trying to turn a short career into a long one, why not go the extra mile?

There is a lot of truth in ensuring players do all the extras to maximise their careers.

I subscribe more to the Dane Swan theory of taking holidays.

For optimum performance the body and the mind need to take breaks, to refresh, to recharge. Both on a daily basis (relaxation, rest, and a quality night’s sleep) and on a longer term basis (decent holidays to take the mind away).

As with everything, it needs to be in moderation.

Personally I’d ***much*** rather see this time of year Instagrams of players hiking around Patagonia, rather than reports of them doing lap upon lap of the Olympic Park Oval.

Aside from that does a builder with their own business ever stop? Or a high priced lawyer with a big law firm? Or a CPA partner of an accounting firm?

It’s what separates the best from the alsorans.

Strongly disagree with that.

In my experience the best principles / executives are the ones who take all their holidays and have a good time and get out and experience the world and rest their mind from work. They delegate to their subordinates, they constantly stand back and are monitoring the big picture rather than getting buried 24/7 in the minutiae. How can an executive make effective strategic decisions if they’ve always got their mind buried in the day-to-day? Of course, their 2IC can always contact them when they’re on holidays, but they’d better have a damned good reason to do so.

I subscribe more to the Dane Swan theory of taking holidays.

For optimum performance the body and the mind need to take breaks, to refresh, to recharge. Both on a daily basis (relaxation, rest, and a quality night’s sleep) and on a longer term basis (decent holidays to take the mind away).

As with everything, it needs to be in moderation.

Personally I’d ***much*** rather see this time of year Instagrams of players hiking around Patagonia, rather than reports of them doing lap upon lap of the Olympic Park Oval.

Strongly disagree with that.

In my experience the best principles / executives are the ones who take all their holidays and have a good time and get out and experience the world and rest their mind from work. They delegate to their subordinates, they constantly stand back and are monitoring the big picture rather than getting buried 24/7 in the minutiae. How can an executive make effective strategic decisions if they’ve always got their mind buried in the day-to-day? Of course, their 2IC can always contact them when they’re on holidays, but they’d better have a damned good reason to do so.

It’s interesting because my experience has definitely been the opposite.

Builders and tradies that make themselves available outside of business hours are a blessing to deal with over the painfully poor communicators that are only available inside business hours. Executive and senior staff members that are always available as opposed to taking it home with them also have the best handle on the intricacies of their organisation than those that wipe their hands of it whilst on a break.

To me the difference between being a high level professional athlete and the rest is that commitment to excellence. They can still hike the Patagonian trail or jump off cliffs in southern Croatia. When the very best professional athletes undertake those amazing life experiences they do it for 4 weeks then return and get back into their normal life routine whereas 8-10 weeks of that lifestyle (maybe not so much the hiking) is too much, IMO. Let’s get serious what percentage of AFL footballers is doing something as worldly as hiking on their break?..

Last edited:
Why not? That's exactly what annual leave is for. The players can still exercise without going into work BTW. It's really easy to say that if you were payed 100's of thousands of dollars you'd work harder. These guys worked harder so that they would be payed hundreds of thousands of dollars in the first place (it's what separated them from the also rans).

Reality is that these guys would need to be doing at least maintenance work on their fitness in their off season so rather than pounding pavement on your own and joining a private gym, why not use the best facilities money can buy with on-site support staff at your beck and call? Different thing if they're away but it just seems logical to me that they'd make use of the facilities.

Even though players are on holidays, they would have pretty strict guidelines about their off-season fitness, and would all do personal training to stay fit enough for the start of pre-season. Day 1 is usually a time-trial, so most players would prepare for that weeks in advance.

Most players also do pretty elaborate end of year holidays as well, so probably return a bit out of shape. So they need to whip off that holiday weight pretty quickly to be ready for day 1.

I suppose with the great facilities on offer at the club, why wouldn't you do that training at the Holden Centre? Especially with mates. It can be hard to self-motivate at times, so getting a few mates together to prepare is good.

I'm all for players taking their down-time and refreshing....but let's not kid ourselves and think that players do absolutely nothing for 2 months then just rock up to training on day 1 ready to go. The vast majority have off-season regimes to stay fit. For some, that might mean training personally at the club, others probably do it at home.

It's great to hear a number of players are back doing some form of training, but I would dare say it's standard now.

The ones back early are probably the ones most worried about their skin folds.

Inb4 Kirby comes back at the specified date looking like Lewis Jetta.

We're all holding our breath waiting to see Kirbs and what shape he is in when he walks through the front door at the Holden Centre.

Hopefully he doesn't have to hold his breath to get through the front door of the Holden Centre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hoping to hear a report of Kirby coming back early and putting in a massive effort, but that might have been too much to ask :(

For a second I thought you wrote 'putting on a massive amount of weight'. That's probably what is gonna happen tbh.

Last edited:
For a second I thought you write 'putting on a massive amount of weight'. That's probably what is gonna happen tbh.
I live in hope that he went home and lived in the gym for 8 weeks.

On the extended off-season break, I have a foot in both camps.

In my workplace, when you take a holiday, our practice is to never email or ring the person on holidays, no matter what the crisis. Time off is sacrosanct, giving us a break from the constant deadlines, demanding clients, high pressure projects. It’s ‘clear head’ time.

But saying that, if the senior players are due back in late November, then that’s nearly three months off for some of them. A long time! They will have had a fitness program to follow, dietary instructions etc, but geez we need to get our fitness up for 2018.

On the extended off-season break, I have a foot in both camps.

In my workplace, when you take a holiday, our practice is to never email or ring the person on holidays, no matter what the crisis. Time off is sacrosanct, giving us a break from the constant deadlines, demanding clients, high pressure projects. It’s ‘clear head’ time.

But saying that, if the senior players are due back in late November, then that’s nearly three months off for some of them. A long time! They will have had a fitness program to follow, dietary instructions etc, but geez we need to get our fitness up for 2018.
I wish my workplace had the no contacting a person on holidays rule,It sure wrecks a holiday being contacted!

I wish my workplace had the no contacting a person on holidays rule,It sure wrecks a holiday being contacted!
How do you allow them to contact you?
Surely not by phone?
Just don’t answer known numbers. And let unknown numbers go to voicemail.
Works every time.

Haha, if you think being contacted is bad... One of my mates had to fly back to Brisbane to not go back to work, not drink and not go more than 300km from work because he was put on 4 hours notice. So technically still on leave without being able to actually do anything he wanted to do. This was during the floods over 2010-2011 Christmas period. Most of us just had to go back to work for it, but his readiness state was just reduced to a very inconvenient time frame. If I was him I would've cancelled my leave but he stuck it out haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back