Australia v New Zealand 2nd Test at the MCG December 26-30

Remove this Banner Ad

Cook is definitely better, but I haven't included him in the same generation.

2 years younger and debuted 3-4 years after him.

Narrow generations 😳

Narrow generations 😳
Depends on how you define sporting generations/crops. It's pretty narrow in sports from what I've seen just look at football and the divide between players in their 30s to players entering their mid 20s.

Babar is 4 years younger than Root and Kane but he's ground with other players of the age of 25 or under than any of the fab 4.

I personally group it as players coming together in the span of 1-2 years within each other and are similar in age. Cook started playing international cricket at a younger age than Warner and started Test cricket 5 years after Cook did and has already retired.

When they're all retired in 10-20 years, I will probably wouldn't say he's the best of his generation as you'd be able to take account a longer period and those gaps between ages wont be as restricting (isn't really fair to be comparing players in their primes to players in their mid 20s still learning).

Maybe the best opening batsmen of his crop is better? But the word crop doesn't sound as good.

Last edited:
Depends on how you define sporting generations/crops. It's pretty narrow in sports from what I've seen just look at football and the divide between players in their 30s to players entering their mid 20s.

Babar is 4 years younger than Root and Kane but he's ground with other players of the age of 25 or under than any of the fab 4.

I personally group it as players coming together in the span of 1-2 years within each other and are similar in age. Cook started playing international cricket at a younger age than Warner and started Test cricket 5 years after Cook did and has already retired.

When they're all retired in 10-20 years, I will probably wouldn't say he's the best of his generation as you'd be able to take account a longer period and those gaps between ages wont be as restricting (isn't really fair to be comparing players in their primes to players in their mid 20s still learning).

Maybe the best opening batsmen of his crop is better? But the word crop doesn't sound as good.

it’s been a poor crop.

the only other 2 career openers active at the moment with any credits in the bank are Latham and Elgar. Elgar is going through a patch at the moment.
you could maybe argue Azhar Ali who has averaged 45 in his 37 innings as an opener but he’s batted three times as often at #3

it’s been a poor crop.

the only other 2 career openers active at the moment with any credits in the bank are Latham and Elgar. Elgar is going through a patch at the moment.
you could maybe argue Azhar Ali who has averaged 45 in his 37 innings as an opener but he’s batted three times as often at #3
Karunaratne is another, sure the rest aren't anything great but Warner is far ahead of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back