Australian Open - Day 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I would agree with that, we'll get some bad and frustrating matches from Nick along that 6 month period but that should be easily achievable.

I expect some average results on the clay but even 2nd or 3rd round would get his ranking up.

I expect some average results on the clay but even 2nd or 3rd round would get his ranking up.
Yep - he's pretty much only defending challengers up until the French Open and has a live ranking of 35. Should be seeded at Roland Garros.

Yep - he's pretty much only defending challengers up until the French Open and has a live ranking of 35. Should be seeded at Roland Garros.

Yes could easily be seeded at the FO.

His challenge was too late. Hewitt, Carlos Ramos and Courier all said so.

This shouldn't even be a talking point. There have been worse calls than that in the past.
Errrrr I know at least Courier said that they should have accepted his challenge.

That its not the players job to determine what's out, it's the line persons.

That it's the linesmans job, and the chair umpire to ensure if there are any he missed. I specifically recall him saying that they both failed in this case

I ak absolutely positive he said this.

About 2 points later Courier definitely said the umpire made a mistake in not allowing Kyrgios to challenge.

It was a bit of a weird one. It looked like he initially just assumed it was going to be called out then when it wasn't he was s**t i better get back into the point then he realised he could challenge. It's like he forgot the challenge system existed for a split second.

I'm not sure on the exact rule or if it's a judgement call from the umpire. If it's the latter it really should be a specific amount of time, whether it be one second, or until the opponents hits the ball... Doesn't really much but should be something that is measurable.

About 2 points later Courier definitely said the umpire made a mistake in not allowing Kyrgios to challenge.

It was a bit of a weird one. It looked like he initially just assumed it was going to be called out then when it wasn't he was s**t i better get back into the point then he realised he could challenge. It's like he forgot the challenge system existed for a split second.

I'm not sure on the exact rule or if it's a judgement call from the umpire. If it's the latter it really should be a specific amount of time, whether it be one second, or until the opponents hits the ball... Doesn't really much but should be something that is measurable.
I perceived it as he hit the ball, and because the crowd all thought it was out he then challenged it.

The official rule is 'you must challenge IMMEDIATELY'. This means you cannot get back in to court ready for the next shot, you must stop and then ask the umpire for Hawkeye. It was almost as if he waiting for Murray to hammer a winner before he challenged. Too long. Do it immediately.

Didn't someone on here back Berdych before the tournament? Was paying $60 or $80 from memory
Don't remind me.
ws73hd.png

I am absolutely bleeding about this. I backed him at $140 and then a couple of weeks later I laid him at $110. I honestly don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Instead of looking at a potential $4170 profit, I am now only looking at a potential $900 profit.

FWIW, last year I backed both Berdych and Wawrinka at $71. I was absolutely loving it when they played each other in the SF. I ended up laying Wawrinka at $3 during the final and walked away with a $600 profit, instead of the $2100 I would have won had I backed myself in. You'd think I would have learned my lesson.

Errrrr I know at least Courier said that they should have accepted his challenge.

That its not the players job to determine what's out, it's the line persons.

That it's the linesmans job, and the chair umpire to ensure if there are any he missed. I specifically recall him saying that they both failed in this case

I ak absolutely positive he said this.
That may or may not have come later. But Courier's initial reaction was as if to say he KNEW the Umpire would not allow the challenge before he even told Nick. Why do you think he'd say this? That's right, because his first observation was that the challenge was late - and he wasn't wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back