Traded Ben Brown [Traded to Melbourne with #28 and Future 4th Round Pick for #26, #33 and Future 4th Round Pick]

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends what sort of coin he's on. That's way more relevant and critical than draft swaps nowadays.

Also we got Jaidyn Stephenson for the f all they gsve us.

Brown for Stephenson a good trade from my position

Also we got Jaidyn Stephenson for the f all they gsve us.

Brown for Stephenson a good trade from my position
Completely irrelevant to the dees side but if you're desperate for some trade winning posts go nuts

Completely irrelevant to the dees side but if you're desperate for some trade winning posts go nuts

Settle petal. I'm not talking about that.

Seems a classic good deal for both sides to me

I really rate Stephenson and think north got him for unders in the Collingwood fire sale. We also got Brown for unders. So win/win.

Exactly. Brown for unders a win. Stephenson and Atu unders, a win. The real losers are Collingwood. I can’t believe they gifted you guys Browny.

Exactly. Brown for unders a win. Stephenson and Atu unders, a win. The real losers are Collingwood. I can’t believe they gifted you guys Browny.
Was about to say the same thing. The real losers are Collingwood which is win for all.

Opposition clubs have found him out.
One trick pony.
28yo.
If North can unload him to a desperate club, they should.
Dodoro might bite if/when Joe hits the toe, they think they are in a premiership window, North should take advantage.

Ben Brown has been great tonight.

It's a shame the Kangaroos didn't make him a 1 club player. I'd love a player that can lead and mark as well as him.

Let alone kick goals. Bargain for the Dees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be counting his blessings that his manager rejected the $750k from North at the start of 2020 and he had to end up taking a pay cut at the Dees. Win-win-win for all parties…except his manager.

Yep, agreed. Was the right move for three parties.

It's a shame the Kangaroos didn't make him a 1 club player. I'd love a player that can lead and mark as well as him.

Nup, it was the best move for all.

Really glad seeing him play well.

great to see North people on here not begrudging BB his shot at a flag. If he'd stayed, we would probably have still finished bottom, chewed up cap space if he'd taken the 3 year offer to begin with, and no Lazarro. Good decision by the club, pleased for Ben
We got Lazzaro via higgins

brown we turned into Stepho which was a good result for us and where we at at

Happy for him, but I think he's well past his best. Lets hope hes got 1 or 2 big games left in him and one of them is next week. That was probably the best game he's played at AFL level since he kicked 10 against Port in August 2019, almost 2 years and 40 odd games hes played in the time. Lets not re-write history, he absolutely stunk for 90% of it.

Would be really happy for him if he picked up a flag, just as I was for David Hale.

Happy for him, but I think he's well past his best. Lets hope hes got 1 or 2 big games left in him and one of them is next week. That was probably the best game he's played at AFL level since he kicked 10 against Port in August 2019, almost 2 years and 40 odd games hes played in the time. Lets not re-write history, he absolutely stunk for 90% of it.

Would be really happy for him if he picked up a flag, just as I was for David Hale.
That's just wildly untrue. He's come back from injury the last 2 months and been really good. He'll never kick 60 a year again, but that's why he was so affordable.

Now far be it for me to criticise TopKent’s player and list analysis but I seem to recall him relentlessly potting Big Benny Brown before and during the season. I won’t embarrass him by pulling up his numerous takedowns of the big red headed talisman.

Fortunately there were at least a few of us on here who knew better.

Last edited:
That's just wildly untrue. He's come back from injury the last 2 months and been really good. He'll never kick 60 a year again, but that's why he was so affordable.

One thing I'm impressed with (and it might be why his goal average is less than it used to be) is that flailing for a free thing he used to do seems to have been stamped out of his game. It used to get pretty embarrassing (although never minded them when paid). He seems to be coached well at the moment.

Brown has been really good lately. Playing a different role at Melbourne and has really bought into it. The last few games has competes really well to. If he doesn’t mark it he at least halves the contest. Adds to a good forward mix where there’s a few guys who could stand up and kick 3 or 4 plus goals.

Brown has been really good lately. Playing a different role at Melbourne and has really bought into it. The last few games has competes really well to. If he doesn’t mark it he at least halves the contest. Adds to a good forward mix where there’s a few guys who could stand up and kick 3 or 4 plus goals.

I think not every team can accomodate Brown and his weaknesses.

While he’s smart and pretty clean at ground level skill wise, and he has endurance to cover long distances, he is so slow.

He cannot apply pressure.

Melbourne have enough other forwards who can apply pressure to cover for Brown, and Brown offers a genuine bail out marking threat, who rarely gets out marked, and he generally converts too. Nobody else at Melbourne has that combo.

Back