Traded Ben Brown [Traded to Melbourne with #28 and Future 4th Round Pick for #26, #33 and Future 4th Round Pick]

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised it hasn't already come up here: Brisbane have gone in hard for B.Brown - willing to offer two first round picks, one in 2020, one in 2021 (both likely to be pick 15 or lower).

Lions willing to pay a premium to ensure they aren't gazumped by Collingwood or Essendon.
Lol - Brown wouldn't know himself with Neale, McCluggage, Zorko and co kicking to him.

Surprised it hasn't already come up here: Brisbane have gone in hard for B.Brown - willing to offer two first round picks, one in 2020, one in 2021 (both likely to be pick 15 or lower).

Lions willing to pay a premium to ensure they aren't gazumped by Collingwood or Essendon.

Inside word or has there been a report on this?

I wouldn't be shocked if we did offer two first round picks, could even be two this year (we have Port's 1st which should be 12 or lower). While I like McStay and back Hipwood to improve eventually, the talent to kick 60 goals is limited so its very logical to pursue it. We also have reportedly quite a bit of cap space (though will need to re-contract quite a few out in 2021 like McCluggage and Harris Andrews).

Inside word or has there been a report on this?

I wouldn't be shocked if we did offer two first round picks, could even be two this year (we have Port's 1st which should be 12 or lower). While I like McStay and back Hipwood to improve eventually, the talent to kick 60 goals is limited so its very logical to pursue it. We also have reportedly quite a bit of cap space (though will need to re-contract quite a few out in 2021 like McCluggage and Harris Andrews).

Purely inside word at the moment, although it doesn't seem to be kept as a tightly held secret. I would not be surprised if something comes up in the local press over the coming weeks in regard to it. Same source also saying the earlier 'war chest' release to the press is a shot across the bow to remind North that B.Brown isn't the only option for the club and that they want to come to an agreement soon so they can focus upon what is available for the re-signing of current players.

They are of the opinion that if no commitment is forthcoming from North by the time of their Round 12 meeting in Hobart, the Lions will put these talks on hold indefinitely and prioritise the renegotiation of their current list before pursuing other targets.

Any prospective buyer isn’t buying him on what he has done
It’s what he is going to do moving forward.

unless he recaptures some serious form....his stocks will continue to fall.

A key forward who can’t contested mark in the modern game—-is Not as valuable
Kicked 10 against port toward the end of last season. How the form of the two respective sides has changed! Brown’s problem this season is the poor delivery inside 50. It has been an issue for a while now and made worse by larkey being out. Hell wayne Carey would (almost) struggle the way ball goes inside 50. Our midfield has been under pressure and just hacking it forward. I have no doubt Ben has plenty more bags left in him just needs some much needed support from the miss and Souva back will require attention from other key backs taking the pressure off.

If Larkey is as good as North fans suggest he is they should entertain trading Brown.

Probably worth 2 first round picks especially in such an uncertain year at the draft, giving North 4 first rounders to add to Thomas, Zurhaar, Simpkin, Taylor, LDU etc. Something similar to what Port have done.

if the price is right It wouldn’t be the end of the world for north. if McKay and or durdin can hold down key defensive posts, Maj and or walker can swing forward, but think Charlie Comben is the player that is really gonna be THE player our forward line is based around. Big call as the kidhasn’t even played a game yet at any level at the club and is injured. But really turned some heads in preseason.

interested to know what NM fans think his trade value is? We will be shopping our 2020 and 2021 first rounders, using the remaining picks on two outstanding father son/academy prospects.

I feel he has been treated a little harshly in the press. Having watched a few NM games this season, the ball movement and delivery into the forward line has been horrible. I would view him as a massive upgrade on Cox and see him having a strong impact for the next 3-4 years.
Your 100 pct correct. To be honest not sure what he’s worth but given north have an abundance of cap space you’d have to think they’d be wanting a top 10 pick at a minimum or a player that fills a need.

Brown would be worth a heck of a lot to a contender that need a strong KF like Brisbane or Collingwood.

I think people are over blowing Brown's poor form, with the way he plays he is only as good as the delivery he is getting, imagine him on the end of Mcluggage or Pendlebury delivering it into the F50.

agree but Polec, Higgins, Simpkin and Dumont are no slouches delivering inside 50. I think the club just has too many best 22 injuries at present so those guys aren’t able to get it in space and always disposing under pressure. Cunnington is very sorely missed.

If you were trading out Brown the club is pretty much going a full rebuild. It will be draft picks that will appeal to your football dept.
Already have 2 and 6 in this draft on current ladder spots. And by all reports a very compromised draft with academy, father son, then the added risk of little exposed junior form due to Covid. Getting picks and on trading to a club needing points (gws is in defecit) for a star player would make more sense,,,,,,particularly if such a club were experiencing cap pressure

Already have 2 and 6 in this draft on current ladder spots. And by all reports a very compromised draft with academy, father son, then the added risk of little exposed junior form due to Covid. Getting picks and on trading to a club needing points (gws is in defecit) for a star player would make more sense,,,,,,particularly if such a club were experiencing cap pressure
I’m not sure North have the cattle to go all in for a star player and contend.

I’m not sure North have the cattle to go all in for a star player and contend.

terrible run with injuries last few years. And worse again this year. So not as bad as it looks. Club does have a lot of young talent, and admittedly aging older talent still goes well (goldy, Higgins, Tarrant). Problem is not much in the way of 23-26 year old talent to take over from the older guys. So it would make sense to trade into that age profile.

Thank god !!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you think your club is a shot at the flag within two years and don't have a full forward, throw a first at Brown to fill the spot. Solid option, one dimensional but in a good side, would be a very good footballer.

North are in such a difficult spot list management wise. They have some promising youth coming through and some older senior players. In between is a lot of foot soldiers who won't be playing afl in a year or two. So they have different options:

A) trade out older players who have done value and replenish with an army of kids via the draft.
B) continue to replace older guys with trades for mid age players by trading out picks.
C) likely option - a bit of both.

Supporting a terrible club has taught me a lot about list management because let's face it, it has been the only exciting part of the year for a Carlton fan. With all this debate about trading vs drafting, it is clear that good football sides always have a consistent stream of youth coming through whilst a handy addition here or there via free agency or trading. I'm less convinced about selling the farm for one player, and more seeing smart trading as identifying guys who are reasonable well priced but can add considerable value as long as the price does not cripple your entire draft hand. How many times have we seen a club trade a pick 22 for an average afl player only for a few years later that draft pick turn into a gun. All gun afl players come from the draft, it is your best chance of developing a balanced list age profile wise for long term success.

North are on the cliff with big decisions to make.

Agreed. It's tough.

We have a gun full back (old), a gun full forward, a gun ruckman (old), an old gun mid in Higgins and a contested beast in Cunnington.

They seem like really good pieces to the puzzle, coupled with Simpkin's form, McDonald's tagging revelation, Larkey's emergence and Walker doing a more than commendable job this year. Polec and Dumont on a wing also more than handy.

But it's that 'army of footsoldiers' which is the worry.

We realistically need an explosive mid, a small forward, and a rebounding half back at a minimum.

Otherwise, if we go the rebuild option, we are taking a punt that we'll have a ruck, full back and full forward (three very important positions) in four years who are every bit as good as Goldstein, Tarrant and Brown. I'm not sure we will, but plenty of teams have been enticed by adding 'pieces of the puzzle' and still falling short.

Damned if we do and damned if we don't at this stage.

Agreed. It's tough.

We have a gun full back (old), a gun full forward, a gun ruckman (old), an old gun mid in Higgins and a contested beast in Cunnington.

They seem like really good pieces to the puzzle, coupled with Simpkin's form, McDonald's tagging revelation, Larkey's emergence and Walker doing a more than commendable job this year. Polec and Dumont on a wing also more than handy.

But it's that 'army of footsoldiers' which is the worry.

We realistically need an explosive mid, a small forward, and a rebounding half back at a minimum.

Otherwise, if we go the rebuild option, we are taking a punt that we'll have a ruck, full back and full forward (three very important positions) in four years who are every bit as good as Goldstein, Tarrant and Brown. I'm not sure we will, but plenty of teams have been enticed by adding 'pieces of the puzzle' and still falling short.

Damned if we do and damned if we don't at this stage.
I think that targeting a strong draft and loading up on high picks could do wonders for north, kinda like port. Imagine adding butters, rozee and durrsma to your list at the end of the season. It revitalizes your list.

I think that targeting a strong draft and loading up on high picks could do wonders for north, kinda like port. Imagine adding butters, rozee and durrsma to your list at the end of the season. It revitalizes your list.

Agreed but there's also every risk that they take so long to come on that we are back out searching for a full back, ruck and full forward again. Club has some big decisions to make.

Getting picks and on trading to a club needing points (gws is in defecit) for a star player would make more sense,,,,,,particularly if such a club were experiencing cap pressure.
I'm assuming you're referring to GWS in the belief that 'we are experiencing cap pressure' (I don't believe evrything I read from the media), but I'm not quite following your point here about GWS being in points deficit and Norths on-trading picks. The points deficit is applied to our existing round 2 pick at the end of the season before any trading/drafting occurs, and we don't have any academy kids this year so points are effectively irrelevant to us (for once!). So any pick trading is purely of its own accord. Happy to take early picks off your hands ... depending on who you want for them. ;) I presume you're thinking about Josh again? :think:

Maybe its just to give him some time off especially given the recent tragedy

Given what happened it might be an explanation for his form, but either way he's not justifying being picked at the moment

I'm assuming you're referring to GWS in the belief that 'we are experiencing cap pressure' (I don't believe evrything I read from the media), but I'm not quite following your point here about GWS being in points deficit and Norths on-trading picks. The points deficit is applied to our existing round 2 pick at the end of the season before any trading/drafting occurs, and we don't have any academy kids this year so points are effectively irrelevant to us (for once!). So any pick trading is purely of its own accord. Happy to take early picks off your hands ... depending on who you want for them. ;) I presume you're thinking about Josh again? :think:
May have wrongfully assumed gws had something in the academy. Personally I don’t believe in trading picks for stars. Waiting a little longer and throwing cash at them as free agendas makes a lot more sense.
Just been dropped by North

Polec too who was pretty much BOG. Delivery into fwd 50 been atrocious. And Polec the best kick in the side. With brown out larkey will now get best defender and struggle. Shaw needs to communicate his reasons. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the crows score their fist win of the year.

A 28 year old one trick pony who offers nothing when the ball hits the deck??

if I were north and got offered a second rounder for him I’d take it and run!
Hmmm, always thought a great small forward would feast off brown work when the ball hit the ground. Great for for the Lions, Charlie would probably win the Colman. Massive upgrade on hipwood

I think there would be a lot of clubs putting up their hands for Ben Brown.

Bit of a captain obvious statement but hed make a huge difference to clubs like Collingwood, Essendon, Brisbane or the Gold Coast.
Not GC. Not even Peter Wright can get a game, between Ben King and Sam Day. They also have Josh Corbett.

Back