Prediction Best 22 for Round One, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

People are writing off BEllis wayy too quick, he is still young and I still have belief he can become a very good player for us in the future. I can understand people saying Grigg etc being pushed out at some point, but why Ellis?

Not a fan of BEllis, mainly because he has never kicked on from such a bright beginning.
But dare I say it, he's one of a few players I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to should we significantly alter our game plan.
I'm positive he has stagnated - well, digressed - due to Hardwick's revolting game plan.
The skipper has too as aresult of game plan, albeit he is still a damn fine footballer but not where he was in 2012.
The video below on the RFC website of Cotchin's Brownlow year was delightful but excruciating to watch, when you see the type of direct, hard running football we were playing, as to the dog's breakfast we dished up last year.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-12-13/cotchins-2012-highlights

People are writing off BEllis wayy too quick, he is still young and I still have belief he can become a very good player for us in the future. I can understand people saying Grigg etc being pushed out at some point, but why Ellis?

Because he has no composure in front of goal, zero ability on his non-preferred & no accountability.

However, he is still a running machine who I hold high hopes for albeit as a player with limitations.

Because he has no composure in front of goal, zero ability on his non-preferred & no accountability.

However, he is still a running machine who I hold high hopes for albeit as a player with limitations.

no defence
no offence
no aggression
but wins the time trials

You all need to get used the fact that Garthwaite will play round 1.

I know it is only December but you can lock that one in

I can assure you he won't be playing AFL round 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that's that then .

We will see lol

For all intensive purposes I can see where you are coming from, but he is just too raw. I think needs at least a 4-6 month spell in the VFL before we even consider him for AFL.
Plus I think with his kicking action, the pressure of AFL may see that come unstuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL Why do you even need to ask. The bloke will never change because he lacks heart aqnd plays like a weak spineless squib.

He is not only Physically challenged but is mentally weak as well one of the biggest momentum killers this club has ever had.

On Grigg i defy anyone to name just one outstanding attribute, the fact that this guy is top 5 in the b&f speaks volumes about several things.

LOL Why do you even need to ask. The bloke will never change because he lacks heart aqnd plays like a weak spineless squib.

He is not only Physically challenged but is mentally weak as well one of the biggest momentum killers this club has ever had.

On Grigg i defy anyone to name just one outstanding attribute, the fact that this guy is top 5 in the b&f speaks volumes about several things.

Runs forward of the ball very well.

But seriously, has a great tank and runs all day.

My earlier team had Yarran in it. So, in light of what happened there, I thought I should try again.

B: Short Rance Grimes
HB: Cotchin Astbury Marcov
C: McIntosh Martin B.Ellis
HF: Grigg Riewoldt Lennon
F: Rioli Griffiths Lloyd
R: Nankervis Caddy Prestia
I/C: C.Ellis Menadue Hampson Conca
EM: Miles Edwards Houli

Two out of about 120, so about 1 per cent think he's worthy of a berth in our best 22.
Better than none. So your point all alone is he aint good enough for this fantastic club even though his on the list. Funnily enough i believe the guys that say he was horrible in the vfl but not the ones that are mocking him for 2 appearances when the team was so good he stood out as a spud.
Look at a couple above post people have been leaving miles b ellis grigg out of the side even though they finished high in the b&f so what is the diff from a couple wanting the dude in. I never said i agreed with them but as we are short in the dept why not give him a proper go.

Better than none. So your point all alone is he aint good enough for this fantastic club even though his on the list. Funnily enough i believe the guys that say he was horrible in the vfl but not the ones that are mocking him for 2 appearances when the team was so good he stood out as a spud.
Look at a couple above post people have been leaving miles b ellis grigg out of the side even though they finished high in the b&f so what is the diff from a couple wanting the dude in. I never said i agreed with them but as we are short in the dept why not give him a proper go.

I confidently tell you Broad will be lucky to be at Punt Road beyond 2017. It does not matter what people's views are on Miles, Grigg, BEllis, or anyone else, what Broad does is up to him. You are missing one big point, people are nominating THEIR best 22 for round two. THEIR is an important word here. Two people out of 200 - one per cent may nominate Broad in THEIR best 22, but I an damn sure he does not figure in the best 22 players selected in round one.
For the record, I left S. Edweards, BEllis and Astbury out of my best 22 as I think we need to move on from those players who fall short of the mark. But that's my opinion. I'd offer the shortest of odds on all three being in the team becuase we pick them every week regardless of form. Much debate over Grigg - but you reckon he's not playing round one. Broad won't and unless he shows significantly more than last year he won't add to his two games. From what I have seen and what he has delivered he's not up to it. As I said earlier, 22 year old mature age recruits who have played three years in the WAFL aren't brought into a club to bolster the reserves team.

I confidently tell you Broad will be lucky to be at Punt Road beyond 2017. It does not matter what people's views are on Miles, Grigg, BEllis, or anyone else, what Broad does is up to him. You are missing one big point, people are nominating THEIR best 22 for round two. THEIR is an important word here. Two people out of 200 - one per cent may nominate Broad in THEIR best 22, but I an damn sure he does not figure in the best 22 players selected in round one.
For the record, I left S. Edweards, BEllis and Astbury out of my best 22 as I think we need to move on from those players who fall short of the mark. But that's my opinion. I'd offer the shortest of odds on all three being in the team becuase we pick them every week regardless of form. Much debate over Grigg - but you reckon he's not playing round one. Broad won't and unless he shows significantly more than last year he won't add to his two games. From what I have seen and what he has delivered he's not up to it. As I said earlier, 22 year old mature age recruits who have played three years in the WAFL aren't brought into a club to bolster the reserves team.
No they are brought in as backups and if the ones are backing up are no good and the backup is no good were in deep ----. So your opinion of the 3 you mentioned are fine but the 2 3 or how many have the opinion broad should be in is not? Sure i get the point.
Anyway till the 1st round comes up we won't know with the list manager's we have had anything was possible now it's all wait and see.

I think the key line here is players we need to move on from or seriously look to improve upon.

Players like Grigg, B Ellis, Houli, Edwards, Hunt, Hampson, Lambert, and a few others are not in my side, we either have the potential to improve upon these perennial panic merchants or we dont !!!! if its the latter then we can just look fwd to more of the same rubbish.Either way it would be wise to play the younger blokes.
It is simple weed out those who have reached their ceiling and have shown they can not take us to the next level or fail the test.

On Astbury i have him in my team same as Griffiths for no other reason that there is no other viable options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Astbury i have him in my team same as Griffiths for no other reason that there is no other viable options.

I'd be all for Griffiths playing at centre half back where it's my belief he is better suited, particularly with his body issues, and where we can take advantage of his long kicking. It's a natural fit and the question that needs to be asked is do you want someone with suspect shoulders spending 25-30 per cent of the game taking ruck contests? Likely not.
But I reckon he's a better bet than Astbury at CHB. The dilemma then becomes who plays CHF and we have no one. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Elton's been there six years and has nothing to show for it, while Moore and Chol showed in their brief appearances that they were light years away.
Comes down to list management and while some argue it's been good, I would argue it's been catastrophic. To the point that even with two elite KP payers (Rance and Riewoldt) collectively our KP players are among the worst in the AFL.

I'd be all for Griffiths playing at centre half back where it's my belief he is better suited, particularly with his body issues, and where we can take advantage of his long kicking. It's a natural fit and the question that needs to be asked is do you want someone with suspect shoulders spending 25-30 per cent of the game taking ruck contests? Likely not.
But I reckon he's a better bet than Astbury at CHB. The dilemma then becomes who plays CHF and we have no one. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Elton's been there six years and has nothing to show for it, while Moore and Chol showed in their brief appearances that they were light years away.
Comes down to list management and while some argue it's been good, I would argue it's been catastrophic. To the point that even with two elite KP payers (Rance and Riewoldt) collectively our KP players are among the worst in the AFL.

actually we have one of the best junior CHF in the country but most people think of him as a backman..... just needs some size and a little time

we all have differing views on best 22, we shouldn't be discussing rnd 1because we all know DH is not a risk taker and he will line up with the same old faces withvtge same old flaws.

it would be great to see him take a fresh approach and make guys like Grigg, Ellis, Houli, Miles earn their spots with consistent form in the VFL and give their spots to the guys that may be slightly behind them now but have more upside and will be better by the end of the year.

We know what we get from Grigg, Ellis, miles, Houli and we know it's not good enough to win a flag now or ever.

The core positions are all locks so let's play Markov, Short, Graham, Drummond, Menadue, Costanza, Bolton..... these are all running players and if we are serious about winning a flag it's these guys that will need to be playing and will need to improve to get us there.

take the risk, hit the season with youth an run and let's see where it takes us

I think the key line here is players we need to move on from or seriously look to improve upon.

Players like Grigg, B Ellis, Houli, Edwards, Hunt, Hampson, Lambert, and a few others are not in my side, we either have the potential to improve upon these perennial panic merchants or we dont !!!! if its the latter then we can just look fwd to more of the same rubbish.Either way it would be wise to play the younger blokes.
It is simple weed out those who have reached their ceiling and have shown they can not take us to the next level or fail the test.

I think its all in the method of transition. We need to give young players a chance to shine and move into the team when they are ready. When they have earned a spot they are given a series of games. If they stand up they are left int he team, if not they are asked to go back and try again. One of our biggest problems last year was not playing kids but rather playing too many at once. We were forced to do this as the year progressed due to poor form and injures but earlier in the year I felt we gave games to too many kids at the same time.

Players in brackets will be phased in/tried out throughout the year but, baring injures, no more than 2 or three at once to maintain experience, size and leadership across the ground.

FB: Astbury, Rance, Grimes
HB: Vlaustin, Markov, Houli (Short)
C: McIntosh, Martin, Grigg (Menadue)
HF: Caddy, Griffiths, Lloyd (Lennon)
FF: Rioli, Riewoldt, Edwards (Bolton)

Foll: Hampson (Nankervis), Cotchin, Prestia

Int: Miles, Graham, Conca (Ellis), Taylor (Drummond)

Last edited:
I think its all in the method of transition. We need to give young players a chance to shine and move into the team when they are ready. When they have earned a spot they are given a series of games. If they stand up they are left int he team, if not they are asked to go back and try again. One of our biggest problems last year was not playing kids but rather playing too many at once. We were forced to do this as the year progressed due to poor form and injures but earlier in the year I felt we gave games to too many kids at the same time.

Players in brackets will be phased in/tried out throughout the year but, baring injures, no more than 2 or three at once to maintain experience, size and leadership across the ground.

Int: Miles, Graham, Conca (Menadue), Taylor (Drummond)
Two Menadues .

Int: Miles, Graham, Conca (Menadue), Taylor (Drummond)

I disagree, the issue is that players like Ellis, grigg, miles, Houli etc are better at this stage.of the season than the kids because they are fitter, stronger and accustomed to afl but we know they are not good enough so why persist..

better to concentrate the effort on the kids and allow them time to get together....

let's face it we are not asking them to play ruck or kp..... We are asking them to run to Chase and to move the ball forward quickly and take risks

put games in them now at the risk of losing games so they grow together

I disagree, the issue is that players like Ellis, grigg, miles, Houli etc are better at this stage.of the season than the kids because they are fitter, stronger and accustomed to afl but we know they are not good enough so why persist..

better to concentrate the effort on the kids and allow them time to get together....

let's face it we are not asking them to play ruck or kp..... We are asking them to run to Chase and to move the ball forward quickly and take risks

Whatever people's views (as we all can have an opinion), but it's a touch alarming and maybe indicative of how our football and recruiting departments have performed, that players like BEllis, CEllis, Conca, Lennon (first rounders) and Menadue (second rounder) are not universal choices and are missing from a lot of best 22s. First rounders need to be solid to elite performers, not treading water. The fact these guys are not wanted in some best 22s is pretty diabolical.

FB: Short, Rance, Grimes
HB: Vlaustin, Astbury, Houli
C: McIntosh, Martin, Grigg
HF: Caddy, Griffiths, Lloyd
FF: Rioli, Riewoldt, Edwards

Foll: Hampson, Cotchin, Prestia

Int: Miles, Menadue, Conca, Markov

I think the backline is still one of the best in the competition. Of course the stats said otherwise last year but you only needed to watch a few games live to see the ease in which teams moved the ball forward under no pressure.

The midfield has got me excited, we've lacked that real gut runner/accumulator and I think we've found that in Prestia. Caddy will pose a threat forward and along with Martin and Cotchin we have some real threats going forward.

My concern is still the lack of depth. Our flankers seem to be the positions we are unable to fill. Titch had an off year, Houli had injuries and we were unable to fill these roles. We have a long list of young flanker types on the list so making every position a winner on-field is contingent on the likes of Corey Ellis, Menadue, Markov and Short developing into good AFL footballers. We need rapid improvement from our young group or players if we are to cover the gaping hole between our top end players and the rest.

I agree that the existing players have much more growth let in them given their age and experience but realistically don't know how my development the younger players have in them either to be honest. In terms of playing together, I feel that is what the VFL is for. It gives them plenty of time for players to learn each others game and develop together. The problem is is when they are flicked back and forth in and out of the AFL team. Consistency is the key.

Before we give any player a game I really feel that they need to outperform the player they are replacing. You need this as an incentive for players to continue to perform and feel they are being fairly treated. It's no use destroying the confidence and stability of core experience side just in an effort of discovering a few potential replacements.

I want the younger players to step into the side and outperform the more average players in the side but first they have to earn it to get a chance and then earn it to keep their spot. I don't feel this has been happening to date.

Whatever people's views (as we all can have an opinion), but it's a touch alarming and maybe indicative of how our football and recruiting departments have performed, that players like BEllis, CEllis, Conca, Lennon (first rounders) and Menadue (second rounder) are not universal choices and are missing from a lot of best 22s. First rounders need to be solid to elite performers, not treading water. The fact these guys are not wanted in some best 22s is pretty diabolical.

That's true. I hope these players can step up. All of them have shown glimpses but have lacked the consistency required. I have high hopes of Conca and BEllis this year. I really feel that they will love the improved midfield strength and feed off it. Conca just needs to remain injury free to show his worth and BEllis needs the flexibility to run free once again with opposition focusing on others.

I also believe Lennon will have a breakout season but first he has to earn it. He may not get a chance if Lloyd continues his go form and others go past him. I hope for his sake that he becomes our next leading forward.

I agree though that we seem to have seen more from our recent recruits than from the other you mentioned. Lets hope that changes this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back