Toast Caleb Serong 2020 Rising Star, 2023 AA

Remove this Banner Ad

In #3 he is next to Darcy #4 and Cerra #5 in the locker room with Fyfe #7, Brayshaw #8, Acres #9, Walters #10, Aish #11 (so pretty much the entire starting midfield) with Logue #2 and Hogan #1 on the other side.

In #22 he is going to have two new teammates next to him in #23 and #24 with Hamling #21 and Tabs #20 on the other side.

Think he wore #2 as a junior so either #22 or #3 works.

He made Paul haselby sound like a bit of a goose on the radio.
Paul trying to give him advice & caleb is like a hard no chops for me this off season.
Can't see Serong going the Haselby route, but wouldn't mind if he ended up a 200 gamer with more than 20 possessions per game over his career!

It's hard to believe Caleb is just 19 years old, such a confident young man and seems like the kind of guy who will help drive the club culture forward. He has a steely determination to improve and it seems he, Andy Brayshaw and Adam Cerra are really pushing each other. Midfield sorted for the next 10 years :thumbsu:

Serong thread deserves a bump. He half arrived last year but I didnt think he had this leap in him. The game has completely slowed down to him now and he's doing whatever he wants out there. Does not fumble, takes the right option almost every time, makes those around him better.

Will hopefully retire as one of our best ever mids, and we have a few decent ones

Last edited:
Serong thread deserves a bump. He half arrive last year but I didnt think he had this leap in him. The game has completely slowed down to him now and he's doing whatever he wants out there. Does not fumble, takes the right option almost every time, makes those around him better.

Will hopefully retire as one of our best ever mids, and we have a few decent ones

There’s a ten percent improvement in disposal and 15-20 goals a year needed, and he’ll be a Hall of famer

There’s a ten percent improvement in disposal and 15-20 goals a year needed, and he’ll be a Hall of famer
The goal kicking is the final hurdle for me and I dont even need that much because that feels very optimistic, half a goal a game (12 goals) and he reaches a different level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serong thread deserves a bump. He half arrived last year but I didnt think he had this leap in him. The game has completely slowed down to him now and he's doing whatever he wants out there. Does not fumble, takes the right option almost every time, makes those around him better.

His movement through traffic and away from it sideways or on the diagonal cuts teams up. He is also deceptively fast.

How the hell did he make it to 8th pick?!

I agree on the leap. I wasn't sure if last season would be his ongoing peak (which wouldn't have been a bad thing). But he has improved again this year. Goal kicking next. And the occasional disposal.

Agree - I would be happy with 10-15 per year.

The goal kicking is the final hurdle for me and I dont even need that much because that feels very optimistic, half a goal a game (12 goals) and he reaches a different level.

It will be interesting to see as Johnson develops if we can put him forward for two five minute stints each game. His crumbing ability and agility will be a problem. Young and Serong having a few stints there will change the dynamic up front. Obviously 95% TOG midfield.

There was a center clearance on the weekend where he side-stepped 2 or 3 Richmond players before having the whole field open up in front of him, and it took me another second before I realised how ridiculous that was. That's the level he's at now.

Assuming he sticks with us and maintains this level then he comfortably finished his career in the top 7 of our Club and probably in the top 5.

In hindsight, losing Cerra and keeping Serong, Brayshaw and Young together was absolutely the right choice, and Sharp is an upgrade on Henry.
If Darcy can get fit, then a midfield of Darcy, Jacko, Fyfe, Brayshaw, Serong and Young is straight from the top draw.
We need to manage to keep Fyfe on the park for the next 2 years. It was noticeable how we turned it around against the Tigers when he came back on.

i made this observation just before we took him, has aged well (unlike most of my 2019 draft takes)

Whoever gets selected with our 2nd pick in this draft (last draft for the decade) has some serious shoes to fill. The player taken with our 2nd pick in the draft 10 years ago (last draft of the 2000’s) Fyfe. The guy taken with our 2nd pick in the draft 20 years ago (last draft of the 90’s) - Pav. No pressure pick 10 (or Henry if bidded on early)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back