Captain Bloods retro Friday night game day thread - Richmond v #lolnorf R20 1997.

Would you be interested in a retro gamely thread on Friday night?

• yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • CB17 - FFS mate, stop making threads. Go back to the Bay.

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just * off. You can’t find your missus at a party, but you can find the big sticks from 65m out? * off Stevo.

I'll be interested. That was a good game of footy, good side in those dais, Norf.
I had honestly forgotten the result.

So had i. Forgot all about this game. But, glad i got to rewatch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just home from the game, what a win! I reckon we've turned the corner, we're going places with The Geish Unleashed! How good's Robbie Powell! 200-gamer, certainty! Merenda, another 200-gamer, he's so strong and powerful he'll be as durable as they come. Rare downer for Dunc, I thought Sholl gave him a bath.

We will flog Port next week, bookmark it. We can't make the eight but we can shape it. How good would it be to knock Carlton out of the 8 at their ground in the last round! Finals '98, baby!

Seriously, how good was Mark Merenda. Kicked 4.4 against Port the week after this. I said it in the 'who would be a star in today's team?' thread - he would be. A rich man's Castagna.

Powell - what happened to him? BOG in this game, don't care Gasman got the 3 votes. 25 touches, 2 goals, 1 Brownlow vote. Then 21 touches, 3.2 and another 1 vote against Port, and 16 touches, 2 goals v Carlton. 21 and 4 goals v Hawks earlier in the year. Some good games in 98 and 99 as well, then barely sighted thereafter, and out of the league at 25.

Last edited:
Seriously, how good was Mark Merenda. Kicked 4.4 against Port the week after this.

My favourite Merenda moment was that mark in '98, didn't even win mark of the year, I rated it one of the best I've ever seen. A front-on shoulder straddle, ball coming from behind over the shoulder, one grab...it was a perfect 10 with the highest degree of difficulty.

Roll from 9:10 in and you'll get a little slice of Geisch (who doesn't love a slice of Geisch?) and plenty of replays:

My favourite Merenda moment was that mark in '98, didn't even win mark of the year, I rated it one of the best I've ever seen. A front-on shoulder straddle, ball coming from behind over the shoulder, one grab...it was a perfect 10 with the highest degree of difficulty.

Roll from 9:10 in and you'll get a little slice of Geisch (who doesn't love a slice of Geisch?) and plenty of replays:

That was a great mark. Who was the Swans player he knocked out just with the turn of his hip? Was it Henwood, or was that Freezer? Powerful little dude, Merenda. Serious talent. I just checked, he played 101 games (75 with us, 26 with West Coast) but would have been fully fit for half of them. Only averaged 11 games per year because of injury and retired before he turned 27. As with Freezer, Cogs and Brown, injury cruelled what could have been a brilliant career.

That was a great mark. Who was the Swans player he knocked out just with the turn of his hip? Was it Henwood, or was that Freezer? Powerful little dude, Merenda. Serious talent. I just checked, he played 101 games (75 with us, 26 with West Coast) but would have been fully fit for half of them. Only averaged 11 games per year because of injury and retired before he turned 27. As with Freezer, Cogs and Brown, injury cruelled what could have been a brilliant career.

I remember the bump, no idea who it was anymore. Yep, saw way too little of Merenda at his best, was a huge shame.

We had a shocking run with injuries all through our years in the premiership wilderness, I think that gets forgotten when we evaluate several of the 'losing' eras.

Razor Ray would have paid a free kick against for front on contact!

Freezer nailed Henwood that day. Delicious.

Freezer nailed Henwood that day. Delicious.
Thought it was. Choc nailed a similar Swan in similar fashion, I'm pretty sure.

I was in the Olympic stand the day Derm broke Freezer's jaw right in front of me. Derm can be grateful for his peripheral vision, because Freezer was coming at him with intent to kill. A last-second raised elbow turned the tables on who was leaving in an ambulance.

Back