Preview Changes for Elimination Final vs Bombers (UTAS Sun 3.20pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

"everyone" is trying to prove that Bevo is wrong on the selection. Vice versa Bevo is trying to prove everyone wrong
The 2 point lost at Port hand last week seems gave sense indicating that team (structure and players) is tracking on the right path + how the team started strongly in qtr 1, that might be the background leading to the unchanged selection this week. If Martin fits, the only change perhaps only Martin for Young

That wasn't really my point, as obviously Bevo had no control over Boyd's departure. Are Martin or Sweet better than Minson, who Bevo stopped selecting, or better than Campbell or Roughead, who could both still be rucking for us?
I think Bevo likes ruckman who have half a footy brain and are good decision makers and so probably why Minson and Campbell fell out of favour with him.
Roughead didn’t seem to buy in to Bevos plans and I thought he was a bit soft for a number 1 ruck although he did play an unbelievable 2016 finals series.
Martin seems to play to team rules and Sweet probably still inexperienced and possibly could develop.
English is versatile but is not strong enough to ruck alone.

"everyone" is trying to prove that Bevo is wrong on the selection. Vice versa Bevo is trying to prove everyone wrong
The 2 point lost at Port hand last week seems gave sense indicating that team (structure and players) is tracking on the right path + how the team started strongly in qtr 1, that might be the background leading to the unchanged selection this week. If Martin fits, the only change perhaps only Martin for Young

We lost every key stat which I thought would've concerned the coaching group, it was only the accuracy of both sides that kept the margin tight in my opinion.

Essendon are not a great side though and if we play anywhere close to our best, I think we get the job done. I'm surprised though that the saw that performance and thought this was the group needed to go forward into the finals. I hope at the very least they change the centre clearance set-up to something more defensive so they don't go streaming out the front of the stoppage all the time.

I do imagine that Martin will come back in next week should we progress but I thought they would've taken the chance this week.

I don't understand why Wallis is not in this side though. It made sense for him to miss when we had the three pronged forward line of Naughton, Bruce and English and Mitch's style didn't fit and he wasn't valuable. Now with Bruce's injury we've had to revert back to a forward line similar to last season and we refuse to select a guy that was so efficient in a psuedo-key forward role. Now we have had Weightman and Hannan be forced to play that role which aren't suited to them and their form (Weightman moreso than Hannan) has dropped off.

I'm not surprised at no changes.

Wright is their only tall forward who Keath' will take, so extra height down back isn't really necessary.

Our problems aren't gonna be fixed by personnel, it's to do with work rate and mindset.

Bevo putting it on the same 22 is the right way to go under the circumstances for mine
Wish I read this before the last 50 pages

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope!

Here are our 2021 average goals per game, selected players:
Naughton (1.9)
Weightman (1.6)
English (1.1)
Vandemeer (0.6)
Young (0.15)
Hannan (0.6)
JJ (0.6)

Players not selected:
Jamarra (1.4)
Wallis (1.4)
To be fair, we’ve always relied on our mids to hit the scoreboard. Over the first 8 or so when we were scoring heavily this year, JUH & Wallis weren’t even playing. Obviously missing Bruce and his 2-3 goals hurt, but Cody wasn’t playing during that period. I think we have enough firepower between English, Naughton & Weightman but it needs to be supplemented by a few goals a week from Bont, Dunks, Baz, Treloar etc.

I’m stuck in a never ending lockdown with nothing to do, and I don’t know if I’ll even watch. The result just feels so inevitable and avoidable.

I mean, I’m a masochist so I’ll still watch
I'm not going to watch. Live, anyway. Normally you could not stop me from watching, but I cannot bear the thought of watching a loss to that lot. If we win, I'll watch. Call me weak, I own it.

Just with Bev’s acceptance of our ruck situation- we lose the hit outsevery week- got me thinking about what ifs.
What if Alexander Fleming just accepted people die from infection so didn’t bother experimenting with penicillin or Florence Nightingale just accepted that more soldiers died in hospital than on the battlefield. Overly dramatic I admit and football is not life or death but we advance more when we don’t just accept the status quo
WTF? Alexander Fleming? Who's he?

Bevos a good motivational coach but his team selection is a bad joke. Playing favourites and players out of position is handicapping the best list we’ve ever had.

His stubbornness has seen the back of Stringer, Roughead, Dahlhaus and soon to be Wallis & Lipinski. Meanwhile we get Bevo favourites Hannan, Roarke Smith, Scott, Gardener and JJ.

Someone at the club needs to pull him up ASAP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back