Prediction Changes for Richmond - out: Varcoe, Crocker, in: Blair, Mayne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to the Shitty Bucks Slow Ball Movement/Zone Gameplan
Not necessarily. The game plan is unlikely to be changed because of two different players.

One thing that has impressed me with Bucks and the coaches thus far is that they have got the match ups right.
We have identified our players strengths and weaknesses and positioned them accordingly.

Isn't it also a positive we have played so way (I have erased the anomaly Hwaks game) without our best players.

That is why I chuckle at the supporters that think it is all about the cattle.
The coach is a massive influence. This year proves it........so far.

I am really looking forward to the game tomorrow even with Mayne & Blair back in the side.
Really interested by the system vs cattle conversation. Seems to me we have a better link between the two. At what stage does the missing cattle require a change of system?

I like loki04 post regards Crocker for instance. His stamina has allowed a certain firward system. Do our replacements allow for such a system to continue? At what stage does too many out lead to a breakdown in a good system or a required change to a system?

I don't have the answer by the way. Ideally when playing the top side you would prefer not to have to make too many adjustments to a system that has been working.

Really interested by the system vs cattle conversation. Seems to me we have a better link between the two. At what stage does the missing cattle require a change of system?

I like loki04 post regards Crocker for instance. His stamina has allowed a certain firward system. Do our replacements allow for such a system to continue? At what stage does too many out lead to a breakdown in a good system or a required change to a system?

I don't have the answer by the way. Ideally when playing the top side you would prefer not to have to make too many adjustments to a system that has been working.
The biggest factor will be how does Richmond’s high intensity style impact our own. We will need to match the standard we played at against Adelaide to have any chance. Even then it might not be enough.

The other important factor is fitness. With both sides coming off a short break, the one who recovers better will have an advantage. I still expect that Smith will be brought in due to soreness.

Truth is you need both the players and coaching/systems in place if you want success. Especially given how even the competition is.

The biggest factor will be how does Richmond’s high intensity style impact our own. We will need to match the standard we played at against Adelaide to have any chance. Even then it might not be enough.

The other important factor is fitness. With both sides coming off a short break, the one who recovers better will have an advantage. I still expect that Smith will be brought in due to soreness.

need to be more accurate on goal you will only get so many opportunities so we need to make sure of them, the issue is we have gone for a more dour set up, so will be on our mids rotating forward to get goals on the board.

need to be more accurate on goal you will only get so many opportunities so we need to make sure of them, the issue is we have gone for a more dour set up, so will be on our mids rotating forward to get goals on the board.
If we can limit their scoring power we could turn it into a grind. I like our chances of running this out well.

Yes but that it is true of every team. You will often hear coaches talk about implementing their game plan whilst also trying to limit that of the opposition. In essence planning includes how to implement your system, identify how the opposition may try to negatively affect your game plan, try and negatively affect the oppositions game plan.

Then there a game basics like goal kicking, fitness etc that need to go your way. Hardware and software so to speak.

For me I would like to see Mayne take Houli........stopping his run will be critical to the result.

Blair is the interesting one because I am not sure how Bucks will use him...........do we play Brown more forward and Blair on ball. I am not sure.

As for Crockers role I think we have magnified its importance...........he is an average player IMO.
I don't think we will miss his output much.

More minutes forward for JDG covers Varcoe and then some.

By the way I don't think Richmond is a quick team as in leg speed.

I still think it is a 50/50 game even with our inclusions.

P.S Stopping Martin's influence would be nice also. Maybe Crisp sacrifices his game tomorrow.

For me I would like to see Mayne take Houli........stopping his run will be critical to the result.

Blair is the interesting one because I am not sure how Bucks will use him...........do we play Brown more forward and Blair on ball. I am not sure.

As for Crockers role I think we have magnified its importance...........he is an average player IMO.

P.S Stopping Martin's influence would be nice also. Maybe Crisp sacrifices his game tomorrow.
Wee Man will be in and under. Hitting hard and taking no prisoners!

Wee Man will be in and under. Hitting hard and taking no prisoners!

Never in doubt jmac

Loved his goal from the Daicos pocket last week at Vicky Park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's also the loss of pace Varcoe may not have his kicking boots on currently but he is quick puts genuine pressure on and gets to crumbs keeping defenders honest.

Crocker also has the highest GPS data of any pie working at PACE, ie at his top speed he is doing it for longer then any pie, likely through leading and opening space behind him.

Re Varcoe yes ideally Wells would have been the perfect replacement (not as quick but the best kick at the club by a mile). . But the club has deemed he aint ready. Ditto Daicos. Not ready yet.

Re Crocker, at just ten possessions a game thats a lot of fast running to where the ball aint....I have no doubt Mayne will seamlessly replace him.

Crocker l agree is an average player, but he goes all game, never stops, plays his role, never try’s to out mark the talls or leads into there space, take opponent away from the play and open space behind him. Can his replacement do the same, if he can and kick a goal or two would be absolute bonus for us.

Crocker l agree is an average player, but he goes all game, never stops, plays his role, never try’s to out mark the talls or leads into there space, take opponent away from the play and open space behind him. Can his replacement do the same, if he can and kick a goal or two would be absolute bonus for us.

If you want a player to sacrifice for the team (either due to game plan or limited talent) and run away from the ball to open up space, with minimal possessions and maybe kick a goal, then Chris Mayne is your man to replace Crocker.

If you want a player to sacrifice for the team (either due to game plan or limited talent) and run away from the ball to open up space, with minimal possessions and maybe kick a goal, then Chris Mayne is your man to replace Crocker.
Nah, Crocker does not, run away, he leads to ereas that his opponents has to go with him. So is accountable, not peeling off.
I hope Mayne is the guy that do that. His form has been good so far and deserves his chance.

Clearly the subtlety of classic English humour escapes you and SV.
Perhaps so.
Or perhaps we just didn’t laugh to much.

An occasional giggle? Perhaps.

:)

We have 45 players on our list. 8 of them have not yet played an AFL game. Jarryd Blair is a Premiership player, and has played more than 150 games for our club. So to suggest that he's the "Worst player on our list" is just silly!

He's not a favourite of mine either, I'd prefer that he wasn't in the team, but you can count on him to try flat out whatever level he's playing at. In a week where we need to "manage" players due to the short break between games it's not surprising that they've called on two mature types to come into the side.

Particularly as those two players are the best like for like replacements for those being replaced.

Particularly as those two players are the best like for like replacements for those being replaced.
Yes, the amount of hysteria seen around here over this week's team selection is just so "over the top"! Whether it's coaching, recruiting or team selection, so many of our "fans" seem to prefer to believe that no-one at the club has a clue, despite plenty of evidence in recent times that they may have a very good idea of what they're doing!!

For the sake of continuity and predictability, we're sticking to the structure that is working.

Crocker at the moment is limited and his output has been negligible, but I think his willingness to present at the footy all day long has been important in helping create space behind him. It's why I think they've preferred Mayne to replace him rather than Faz.

With Blair, I'm assuming that he'll be expected to play Varcoe's role of ground ball terrier who also tries to be a running link when he have the play. If he shows the discipline to stick to his role rather than reverting to his habit or presenting at the footy like he's a centre half forward, he'll do the first half of the job well. I've often thought that with Blair, we'd be better off having the talls try to stick on his heels rather than the traditional way of having the ground ball player trying to get to the foot of the pack, because frankly Blair's leading patterns are better than that of our tall forwards. That way we'd end up with a tall offering a marking threat in a dangerous spot and a ground level player to attack the spillage. Obviously his lack of pace and dodgy decision making will make him less effective in the running link part of Varcoe's role, but he's still the most like for like replacement.

Im backing Bucks and the match committee on this, they have got it right so far this season, so why not support these selections. Who else would you bring in? Adams and Moore are not ready to return. Wells has only played 1.5 games of footy. Fasolo could have been selected, but with Varcoe out the role player they want Fas probably is not that type, a tackling pressure forward. The other options Smith, Sier, Daicos dont play that role either.
Blair will obviously play the Varcoe role of pressure, tackling, harrass the Richmond defence. I think Mayne will play a defensive forward role, maybe on Rance. He is onown as a tackling pressure forward, so maybe he is being asked to basically tag Rance.

Mayne to tag Rance............ that's not going to end well, Blair doesn't cover Varcoe in a skills and speed sense and to confide that he can cover the role is a little optimistic from the committee, same with Mayne - if that's what they're thinking.

Yes, the amount of hysteria seen around here over this week's team selection is just so "over the top"! Whether it's coaching, recruiting or team selection, so many of our "fans" seem to prefer to believe that no-one at the club has a clue, despite plenty of evidence in recent times that they may have a very good idea of what they're doing!!
Maybe they are just undiscovered football geniuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back