List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Pretty sure brander tried and failed being a KPP of any type in the wafl with no one in the way of his progress .
The Brander as a key forward idea got dropped when it became apparent he didn't have the physicality to play that role, despite having the body size. Four years on that physicality is still missing. That's the reason.
Absolutely no chance Brander makes it as a key forward, anyone with an ounce off footy knowledge can see that!
He has been in the system 3 years now and has barely put on a Kg of muscle, quiet personally that’s on him.

People have very short memories.

We all know how the club tried to jam a round peg in a square hole with Brander.

He was drafted as a KP player back or forward. Allen fell into our laps and ever since the club decided to develop Brander as a mid, not a KP player.

Now all you know it all's, please inform us the difference in developing a tall running mid versus the program to develop a big strong KP player?

Running mid's slim down and build endurance. Even bigger taller mid's.

KP players need to run but they also need power and bulk.

So why are people criticising Brander for not putting on bulk. That wasn't the program the club implemented. Maybe that contributed to him getting moved around physically. Its the reason why Schofield bulked up later in his career, run less so he could match the bigger bodies.

Brander has not been developed as a KP player nor given the opportunity over any reasonable period to play KP.

No development.....very little opportunity.

Last edited:

I still remember the post, not sure who by, where brander stated he is being kept lean to play wing / running role atm, but expects to bulk up and play kp in the near future.

Clearly we don’t know what the hell has happened with him but to say he’s failed as a kp player if the above is the case is clearly wrong

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was from me. He and Trew came and spoke to my boys footy team at training and there was a Q and A session. We (Eagles) were short on KPD at the time and the coach asked if he was a chance to go back and cover, that's where the comment and questions came from, he said he was not currently training for a key position role more focused on running etc, but did expect to move back into a key role in the next season or two.

Make of that whatever you will. I don't have any more insight, just relaying what was said. He did seem genuine though.

why is a 195cm player-drafted as CHF playing midfield?? I’ll give you the tip its not because he has elite ball winning ability, ability to move through traffic, quick hands, vision and can win the ground ball or the contested ball. It’s because he’s not a CHF

you personally abuse anyone who gives sound rationale why they think he hasnt made it in 4 years as a KPF, and is unlikely in the next 4, yet can’t provide a squat of justification. You’re just trolling I’m sure

Brander will fail as a KPF because he’s not an aerialist in any sense and it doesn’t play to his strengths as a footballer or an athlete. He can lead up at the ball but he’d need
to rely on clean entries inside 50 and smarts
to kick goals and he’s not a super set shot.

For me it’s obvious he’s no KPF, by looking at the way he moves and attacks the ball in the air vs at ground level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the Sheldrick fans. The kid had 49 touches in the final PSA game to go with 12 tackles and a goal.
Watch out for this blue collar mid - O’Brien does not appreciate his style so watch him slip.

He has finished at Christchurch so ready to play proper Claremont game time

Nah we can totally write Brander off as a key position player based on him failing to curtail the Naylor Medallist that one time, having not played key defence since late 2018.
I've seen keitel clean up Rotham in the past too. Difference is that Brander has hardly played a s tall defender in a while.

Was from me. He and Trew came and spoke to my boys footy team at training and there was a Q and A session. We (Eagles) were short on KPD at the time and the coach asked if he was a chance to go back and cover, that's where the comment and questions came from, he said he was not currently training for a key position role more focused on running etc, but did expect to move back into a key role in the next season or two.

Make of that whatever you will. I don't have any more insight, just relaying what was said. He did seem genuine though.

Thanks mate, confirms that he hasn’t really had a chance to bulk up and really compete as a kp

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He definitely played midfield in the WAFL in the second half of 2019. I figured they did it as it was going to be difficult for him to break into the forward line with the amount of talls we had and he has good agility for a tall.
He was playing backline mostly in the wafl early days rotham who was undersized was preferred and obviously Schofield when not playing afl .
Also Hedwards quickly passed him in his first year
The writing really was on the wall .

I honestly just don't think he has it to be a KPP .

Saying that I think he has played reasonably well on the wing this year and surpassed my expectations

Nah we can totally write Brander off as a key position player based on him failing to curtail the Naylor Medallist that one time, having not played key defence since late 2018.
Its not about the result its about how brander went about it.

Didn't want to body up just hung back and tried to jump over the top instead of engaging kytel at the ball drop .

They eventually put zane sumich on kytel and even though undersized bodied him well and didn't give him a free run .

You seem be doing nothing but putting up excuses as to why brander hasn't become a good key position player but nothing on his attributes why he would be good .

Because he is 6'5" and pick 13 ?

Didn't want to body up just hung back and tried to jump over the top instead of engaging kytel at the ball drop .

They eventually put zane sumich on kytel and even though undersized bodied him well and didn't give him a free run .

You seem be doing nothing but putting up excuses as to why brander hasn't become a good key position player but nothing on his attributes why he would be good .

Isn't that how both McGovern and Barrass play?

Isn't that how both McGovern and Barrass play?
Not at all . Sure they intercept but that's usually when it's not getting kick to them or their man .

You see both McGovern and barrass get crunched every game sitting in the hole or ball drop .

They get to position 1A and try take the mark , spoil and hope 3rd man comes into help .

Brander on the other hand doesn't want to sit in the hole at all . Wants to come over the top as the 3rd man but when the opposition has position 1A and no one engaging them it is a very poor tactic, results in easy marks to the opposition and angry coaches

Maybe if he spent the next pre season training with the backs he might have more of an idea what to do?

I don’t think his future is at fullback, anyway. If he’s going to return to a key position I think he’d be best served as a roaming CHF.

With our game plan not really working these days i hope we draft/trade according
We'll need some run/ through the midfield and wings. Make use of the new rules like everyone else is .
I honestly don't think the backline or forwards are the problem

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back