List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

It says most coaches don't have much, if any, input into the draft. I'm sure there may be one or 2 exceptions but the coaches won't watch much, if any, junior footy.
That's not what it says at all. Article was written in April of whatever year so of course the senior coach wouldn't be thinking about the draft.
What it actually says is "Most agreed that, at this stage of the season, the senior coach would know little about the players available at this year's NAB AFL Draft, and that their involvement only really ramped up once the season ended"

Ross Lyon once mentioned something along the lines that he had no input to drafting and was there to coach the players that are chosen.

And you believe what Ross Lyon would say .

7wHP.gif

Yeah I'm not sure any coach/recruiter/etc drafts for now. If they do it is rarely an 18yo.

Chesser was never drafted to lift the team to the next level in 2022. Who knows if he becomes a gun, a bust, or something in between - but to suggest that he was a 'win now' selection is a bit out there!
The talk at the time was we were looking for someone who could come straight in - some with some speed and run off half back.
Then you should have drafted Josh Sinn.

Chesser possibly has more midfield “potential” than Sinn, but Sinn has Chesser covered for skills and speed, and is the better half back.

I'd like someone else to ask him that now that he's not coaching.

Someone on this thread that it's largely a myth that they draft "best available" and backed it up with some sound logic. The coach knows what he needs, and also understands weighting (which is impossible for recruiters to know), i.e. my recruitment team says player X who is a KPP is better than player Y who is a mid. The recruitment team knows how much better he is but what they don't know is how much more I need a mid than a KPP.
That was me (probably).

And it came directly from one our recruiters, at our draft function, before the draft began.

Basically our coach told our recruiters, “I am looking for these specific xyz attributes and skills, at these two positions”. And our recruiters went out and found them.

Though there was some discussion that if Gibcus fell to our first pick, that we would veer away from needs, and go “best available”.

The Eagles' circumstances this season have seen a new game plan abandoned to an extent, Simpson said, as being as competitive as possible takes priority.

Oh good. Long and to the right to where Jack Darling might put one arm up if we're lucky, killed on the ground, killed on the counterattack for the rest of the season! Woo!

The Eagles' circumstances this season have seen a new game plan abandoned to an extent, Simpson said, as being as competitive as possible takes priority.

Oh good. Long and to the right to where Jack Darling might put one arm up if we're lucky, killed on the ground, killed on the counterattack for the rest of the season! Woo!
Nah, I think they're just trying to focus on winning contests, which they managed to do against the Lions. In earlier games they couldn't even manage to do that. Listening to the presser, it seems like he just wants the players to be competitive first before worrying about executing a new game plan.

Makes sense imo. No point trying to execute a new game plan when your players can't even win a contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And just to put this pissing contest to bed:

It really varies from club to club. Our recruiting team had been talking about the need to draft outside run and young KPP/rucks for two seasons (2020 and 2021 drafts). You just have to listen to our head recruiter on Road to the Draft, to hear him saying that.

And we drafted two forward flankers, a wing, a back flanker, a ruck, a ruck forward, and a mid. The only player that didn’t fit an area of need, was the mid, and that’s because he was the last pick in last years draft, after all the KPP’s we rated, were selected before our last pick.

Our recruiter doesn’t talk about team needs without our list management, recruiting team and coaching staff all being on the same page about what our list needs will be in the future.

Last edited:
It says most coaches don't have much, if any, input into the draft. I'm sure there may be one or 2 exceptions but the coaches won't watch much, if any, junior footy.
Again I can only relate to how our club works.

After the end of season review and player interviews are complete, that’s pretty much what our coach does.

Meetings with potential trade targets, and watching tape of potential draftees with the recruiters.

During the season, sfa.

world cup ringer fc GIF by The Ringer

With the lack of personnel, they have no choice. No point in beating players up about not following a gameplan if it can't be implemented anyway.

I can't see us winning anymore games if we're just going to park the bus. Get games into the young blokes, make sure guys like Yeo get fit and retire the oldies to try out the players from the mid season draft. Grab pick 1 and a soft draw for 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back