List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

Getting that second rounder of Ports is really turning out to be an excellent deal by the day.

Gives us either another top 30 choice or genuine currency to use on a known quantity.

I like Fiorini- in my mind a decent redden replacement. I would prefer Dev- but if he was the player we went after I think he would be used in our midfield.
Gold Coast are probably asking for a future second round pick.

So it’s Fiorini and one of their 3 second round picks this year, for a future second round pick.

At worst, you offer your future third round pick for Fiorini and which ever ends up worse, the Collingwood or Fremantle second round pick.

The whole Georgiades V Waterman discussion is nothing more that a moot point.

1. Georgiades in contracted till the end of next season.
2. Pick 20 isn't going to cut it for Port to trade MG.

Would I like MG on our list, would he improve our list, absolutely, but he isn't a player who plays a position of immediate need.

What are the knowns.

1. MG is contracted for another year.
2. MG wants to return to Perth.
3. Schofield ( of the Jarrad variety ) wants him on our list.
4. MG wants to play under Schofield's tutelage.

The only way I see an MG deal getting done this trade period, is if Port are prepared to take a discount in draft capital, from us in a trade, IF and its a big IF, they get in a bidding war for either Grundy and or Rankin and they need draft picks to get that/those deal/s done.

How does getting a discount in draft capital from us for Georgiades help land Grundy or Rankin?

The only way I can see us getting Georiades is by paying up with pick 20. Which isnt a discount.

Or we do something crazy such as:

Pick 2 plus Eagles 2023 3rd.

For Georgiades, Ports pick 8 plus Ports 2023 1st. And we go hard in 2023 for that elite mid.

And then we move on Waterman as he would be surplus to our needs. All a bit complicated. Unless Waterman leaves.

Either way its crazy Vosso stuff. :embarrassedv1: o_O

Last edited:

Had a crack at a Round 1, 2023 team. Tried for a 7/8/7 defender/midfielder/forward structure, but went with 7/9/6 instead as we have to be rotating Shuey onto the flanks more as we go, plus have seen good things from Kelly there when we've had other mids able to service the forward line while he's down there.

This is a mix of what I want and what I expect (e.g. Gaff will be picked even though I wouldn't be going near him next year), and assumes full health which is folly.

Ages as of Round 1, 2023.

View attachment 1477511

I had O’Neill ahead of Gaff but otherwise the same 22

Agree with your delistings, albeit I’d like to find a way to retain Winder - maybe by one player asking to be traded which remains a possibility

You also have 39 players on the main list with Jones elevated so at least one player named Langdon will need to be transferred

We’d then still have two rookie spots available

Where'd you hear that?

Saw it in one of the articles talking about it and/or Duffield talking about it on ABC sports talk but I can’t point to something specific that I can link to sorry. From memory it was someone relatively credible although I will admit to being surprised as I didn’t think we’d have the cap room

Had a crack at a Round 1, 2023 team. Tried for a 7/8/7 defender/midfielder/forward structure, but went with 7/9/6 instead as we have to be rotating Shuey onto the flanks more as we go, plus have seen good things from Kelly there when we've had other mids able to service the forward line while he's down there.

This is a mix of what I want and what I expect (e.g. Gaff will be picked even though I wouldn't be going near him next year), and assumes full health which is folly.

Ages as of Round 1, 2023.

View attachment 1477511
I'm a fan of putting as close as you can to your best team on the park each week. Leaving good establish players in the 2s is never going to be a solution as you back them in bounce back from poor form. And if its that bad they are pushed out and delisted later that year.

From something like R5 onwards you need to reward good reserves form with a guaranteed block of games. For example i'd hope to see Chesser play WAFL for a month then a month of AFL -even if he has a run of 5 disposal 0 tackle games. Unless you are top 4 there's not really the issue of being forced out by stars returning and playing your noobs for 1 game here and there.

Is Bazzo good enough to play each week? He's adapted well but is obviously behind McGovern, Barrass & Edwards. He can go fwd but is only half as good as he is back. Will that ruin development? AFL out of position vs WAFL in best position.

Hough id like to see off a fwd flank. We need to nail it down as it's a position where there's a lot of team orientated running involved yet needs someone who has poise and skill to deliver i50. We kind of just play anyone there and we lose that link from the back half as a result.

Not much of an issue. Brodie was contracted and it turned into a win win. They have a crunch at the end of 23 with Rowell, Sharp, Anderson, the forgotten man Sexton and Fiorini all out of contract.
I think Sexton may be on the list as well.

You also have 39 players on the main list with Jones elevated so at least one player named Langdon will need to be transferred

We’d then still have two rookie spots available
Where have I stuffed up my maths. Five outs from the main list, replaced by our expected four good picks and Jones’ elevation?

I'm a fan of putting as close as you can to your best team on the park each week. Leaving good establish players in the 2s is never going to be a solution as you back them in bounce back from poor form. And if its that bad they are pushed out and delisted later that year.
We had a big discussion on our board, before the season started, about this topic.

I’m a big believer of squad rotation. Especially of your older players, similar to what Geelong did this year.

And your young players, when you can see they are hitting a wall and need a mini break.

Not much of an issue. Brodie was contracted and it turned into a win win. They have a crunch at the end of 23 with Rowell, Sharp, Anderson, the forgotten man Sexton and Fiorini all out of contract.

I think Sexton may be on the list as well.
0*vROtkefp1JMRj95-.jpg

To me, next season is year one of a rebuild that should take three years, ie finals on the agenda in 2025. We are currently in year zero of said rebuild.

Call it going all in on a flag, call it trying to squeeze one more song out of an established core, whatever the reasons and whatever your opinion on it, the fact is that the club did not come into this season with a list that was ready to rebuild. Clearly the first half of the season results and very large writing on the wall necessitated a change of strategy at the bye, which also lines up with a decisive change of external messaging from the club.

I understand why there are calls for ‘the hard decisions’ to be made, but these are decisions I don’t think we hugely benefit from in the short or long term. I think these are calls that just make it seem like we’re embracing the rebuild, but really sell ourselves short for no reason other than to make people feel better (until the losing resumes next year and everyone is miserable again).

What I mean by not being ready for a rebuild this year, and why this is year zero not year one, is that we don’t have the stocks to replace the ‘hard call’ players. I don’t think Shuey or Hurn going out, to be replaced by West or Rotham for example, helps us in the short, medium or long term. Our list is largely devoid of the young prospects that teams would be looking to blood in this situation (with a few gems mixed through).

I think Shuey/Naitanui/Hurn/Redden offer us more in bit parts and tutelage than culling them this offseason would offer us. The guys we would replace them with are the sort of depth that equally will not be part of our next window, and the older guys sign their short term extensions knowing very clearly the direction the club is going in and what their role is next year. Gaff is the elephant in the room but we’re tied to that deal at this point so all we can do is hope for the best, or pray someone wants a free player for a pick.

When all of Hurn/Shuey/Redden/Naitanui play on in 2024, that’s when the alarm bells ring loud enough that even our ageing members can hear hem.

In my mind this offseason will be ten in/ten out (five main list changes and a massive rookie list churn). We’re in year zero, and this offseason is about setting up the right foundations to launch into a decisive rebuild. I don’t think the approach of reading someone’s birth certificate and making a list call based on the date of birth is a smart universal policy for success.

I think Naitanui is still a chance to play on in 2024 if his body holds up next year. It’s a farewell tour for the other 3 though

Also, including Shepp, we have 46 on the list so it’ll be 10 out/6 in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where have I stuffed up my maths. Five outs from the main list, replaced by our expected four good picks and Jones’ elevation?

Nah it’s me that’s ****ed up

Forgot that West is still a rookie

To me, next season is year one of a rebuild that should take three years, ie finals on the agenda in 2025. We are currently in year zero of said rebuild.

Call it going all in on a flag, call it trying to squeeze one more song out of an established core, whatever the reasons and whatever your opinion on it, the fact is that the club did not come into this season with a list that was ready to rebuild. Clearly the first half of the season results and very large writing on the wall necessitated a change of strategy at the bye, which also lines up with a decisive change of external messaging from the club.

I understand why there are calls for ‘the hard decisions’ to be made, but these are decisions I don’t think we hugely benefit from in the short or long term. I think these are calls that just make it seem like we’re embracing the rebuild, but really sell ourselves short for no reason other than to make people feel better (until the losing resumes next year and everyone is miserable again).

What I mean by not being ready for a rebuild this year, and why this is year zero not year one, is that we don’t have the stocks to replace the ‘hard call’ players. I don’t think Shuey or Hurn going out, to be replaced by West or Rotham for example, helps us in the short, medium or long term. Our list is largely devoid of the young prospects that teams would be looking to blood in this situation (with a few gems mixed through).

I think Shuey/Naitanui/Hurn/Redden offer us more in bit parts and tutelage than culling them this offseason would offer us. The guys we would replace them with are the sort of depth that equally will not be part of our next window, and the older guys sign their short term extensions knowing very clearly the direction the club is going in and what their role is next year. Gaff is the elephant in the room but we’re tied to that deal at this point so all we can do is hope for the best, or pray someone wants a free player for a pick.

When all of Hurn/Shuey/Redden/Naitanui play on in 2024, that’s when the alarm bells ring loud enough that even our ageing members can hear hem.

In my mind this offseason will be ten in/ten out (five main list changes and a massive rookie list churn). We’re in year zero, and this offseason is about setting up the right foundations to launch into a decisive rebuild. I don’t think the approach of reading someone’s birth certificate and making a list call based on the date of birth is a smart universal policy for success.
We’ve got games into Hough and Bazzo, added Campbell and Culley. And currently have three picks inside the top 30 at this year’s draft. I think this is year one of the rebuild and the turnaround can come quicker than people think.

What a ridiculous post. We have the second oldest list in the league and are going to re - sign every player over the age of 27 bar Kennedy and you are calling that Year 1 of a rebuild. Hilarious. And we will probably only cull the minimum number of players off our main list that you are required to which is 4. And the other 3 bar Kennedy will probably be 21 year olds that have played 5 games each. Sorry, but that is not a rebuild.

The other parts of your post are equally hilarious and full of garbled logic. What is the point of hanging on to the old players for one more year if we are not in a flag window? It is generally accepted that young players won't win their position on the ground for your consistently until you have invested at least 50 games in them. Their best footy usually comes around the 100 - 150 game mark. Hanging on to all the old players for one more year just means that at the end of 2023 that next group of our 5 or 6 best young players underneath who currently outside the 22 has 20 games less experience and are 20 more games further away from 50 plus games experience than they would otherwise be. And for what benefit? So we can avoid the pain and hurt feelings from tapping guys on the shoulder? The club administrators are supposed to be looking after the club's interests, not individual players. Or so we can eke out an extra win or two next year and finish 14th instead of 17th?

And what is this "decisive change in external messaging" you speak of? Perhaps you missed the Gibbs interview on ABC. He predicted a "rapid rebound", brought up the subject of making the 8 next year and indicated he thinks it is more likely than not and also made it clear that the club does not agree with the general consensus about the dire state of the list. He speaks like a politician because those guys have all had media training and basically are politicians. He won't put his balls on the table like a BF poster and box himself into a corner by making direct declerative statements that can come back to haunt him. But the things he chooses to talk about and not talk about and the wording he chooses to use and not use is what they use to communicate. You are probably too dopey to read it and understand what is being said. Or you will filter out all the parts that don't fit your pre existing biases. But what he is saying is that the club does not think it is in rebuild mode and thinks the list is still competitive and capable of making the 8. But he is being just vague enough so that if the bottom falls out next year and we are contending for a spoon again he can do what politicians call a Reverse Ferret where you completely change your position 180 degrees overnight and deny ever having had a different position on the issue. Which lines up perfectly with what has been said by every other person from the club interviewed this year. They are all blaming Covid and injuries. They are all clinging to what psychologists call an external locus of control, i.e. everything that happens and has hapenned is caused by external circumstances and forces and i have no responsibility for or control over any of it and all i can do is just sit here and cry and wait for the world to stop being unfair to me. It is sickenning to listen to. None of them mention or bring up the need for internal improvement and change within the club. All of their focus is on being upset at external factors.

A rebuild means voluntarily taking pain in the present in order to have a better future or accelerate the timeline towards a better future. It means being willing to finish bottom 4 next year and the year after instead of 14th or whatever in order to be able to get back in the top 8 in 3 years time instead of 5 years time. What you are pushing is the opposite of that. You are suggesting avoiding pain in the present and putting the blinders on and pretending that the pain avoidance won't slow down the regeneration.

How does getting a discount in draft capital from us for Georgiades help land Grundy or Rankin?

The only way I can see us getting Georiades is by paying up with pick 20. Which isnt a discount.

Or we do something crazy such as:

Pick 2 plus Eagles 2023 3rd.

For Georgiades, Ports pick 8 plus Ports 2023 1st. And we go hard in 2023 for that elite mid.

And then we move on Waterman as he would be surplus to our needs. All a bit complicated. Unless Waterman leaves.

Either way its crazy Vosso stuff. :embarrassedv1: o_O

You really think port will trade MG to us for pick 20 ?

Secondly do you think we would do that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back