List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee I don't know.

I have this horrible feeling that if we trade Brander, he will go on to be star and it will come back to bite us in 5 years.

Whatever we choose to do with Brander it will be 5 years of "who won the Brander trade", and I for one can't see us coming out as winners.

Branders internal rating is a lot higher than what his trade value would be.

I think the club is being patient with Brander, and I think we should be too. Invest in him, give him time, and I am sure the club will reap the rewards.

The club signed Brander up to the end of 2023. Internally they rate him highly and I can see why.

Look how good Nelson, Cole and Duggan are now over 50 games. Those guys have been written off quite a few time by some.

The modern age of instant gratification is clouding peoples judgements.

Ive been saying for two years we have already drafted Hurns replacement in Rotham. Others posted, 'we need to draft a replacement for Hurn before he retires', when we already had. Now Rotham is starting to look comfortable and reliable after 11 odd games.

Last edited:
The club signed Brander up to the end of 2023. Internally they rate him highly and I can see why.

Look how good Nelson, Cole and Duggan are now over 50 games. Those guys have been written off quite a few time by some.

The modern age of instant gratification is clouding peoples judgements.

Ive been saying for two years we have already drafted Hurns replacement in Rotham. Others posted, 'we need to draft a replacement for Hurn before he retires', when we already had. Now Rotham is starring to look comfortable and reliable after 11 odd games.

This is a great point.

Duggan was drafted two years before Brander, but only really became lock in the team this year.

I believe he is contracted until 2021, but I get your point. People are very quick to cast aside some one of Brander's talents believing the grass is greener.

Last edited:

He is , but he is out of contract and with the pending reductions on list sizes there are going to be some unfortunate casualties at all Clubs.

Geelong find themselves in a tricky situation on the one hand they need to have a refresh of their list and have gained themselves some very good early picks, on the other hand they are going to need to cut players to make way for their new early picks.

The China Virus has thrown a massive spanner in the works as to how they best go about the list refresh.

Thats why they will have some lesser light players that they will need to move on, or not be able to re-sign and consequently they will ,unfortunately for them, get massive " unders " for them in any trade situation.
I'd do a future 3rd for Narkle in a heartbeat, I'd try swap one of our 3rd rounders this year with a club needing points for their 3rd rounder next year.

Never has anyone internally, or externally called in to question Brander's professionalism or hunger.

From his junior coaches up right up to Simmo, the appraisals of his ethic and application have been extremely positive. It was only in Jan and Feb this year that Brander was singled out by his peers as someone who had the best pre season and put himself in the best position to break in to the team.

That doesn't happen if someone doesn't have the hunger to succeed.

People need to stop trying to diagnose "what's wrong with Jarrod Brander".

Let's not forget that his season ended last year in July with hamstring surgery, and he is trying to learn a new role in an environment where whole of team training occurs once a week.

He is a talented player who is trying to find his spot in a team that has few spots for him available. He's learning a new role, one for which he has all the right physical attributes, it's simply time and patience.
If you reread my post I didn't say he didn't have the hunger (but without being in the inner confines of the club) that it was just a possibility so because I made a suggestion doesn't give you the licence to shoot me down in flames lol. It was a maybe kind of statement and just trying to make sense as to why he's taken a bit longer to hit his straps
when comparing him to Oscar who was taken in the same draft. I hope he succeeds and the last thing I want is for him to be delisted and I wish him every success. Amazing response when no mallce was intended.

Anyone else rate Jake Florenca from South Freo? He seems to get a lot of the ball but I don't know what his usage is like.
Yep he’s a weapon. Think he had 35+ touches a couple weeks ago. Has always been fully capable of AFL but he’s not interested. Apparently. Massive coasters fan too.

Sydney offered him double the contract in money and length that we would have . I think he genuinely wanted to stay but he has made a career from footy in Sydney

Sinclair has thrived in Sydney since his arrival on and off field.

On field is partly due to unfortunate circumstances to others (Tippet, Naismith), he has played a lot of senior footy literally because there has been no other option. I was at the SCG last year when Grundy literally rag dolled him all game and I thought he would be in the NEAFL the following week, sure enough he played in the seniors.

Off field he has been hustling hard. He has started his own podcast through the Swans and has used their extensive corporate network to his advantage. I've been at a few functions with him also in attendance and he definitely works the room hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Geelong are trying to do both, win a flag before the old dogs retire plus bring in youth.

I can see the Crows and North picking up handy young guys let go by club's who are forced to shed them in order to keep older players to contend.
Young guys who have been unlucky with minor injuries but highly rated.

Mitch O'Neil could be one.
I think they will keep Oneill on

It's a crazy idea, but I wonder with a tight salary cap at Collingwood, if we could somehow nab Tom Phillips. He would fix a lot of our problems.

He would be gettable by his drug history would likely rule him out from the Eagles perspective.

One player who has grabbed my attention is Kyle Langford at the Dons, out of contract. He's played a few decent games, gets a bit of it and is a half forward / mid rotation player. The thing that caught my attention was his field kicking, its pretty decent and good kicks is what our game plan is all about.

Would add some quality depth and ball getting ability.

I do recall goal kicking may be a weakness but not sure.

Wouldn’t mind Jack Carroll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been tracking him for a while and watched Jack Carroll on the weekend destroy Claremont and he was very impressive.

Agree he would be a terrific addition to our list. However unless we can trade up I can’t see him being still on the board with our first live pick.

I have an early second / late first round grade on him.

Rawlings came out and said the four untouchables at Norths are Goldstein, Cunnington, Ziebel and Higgins.

Anderson not in that list. Would love him in our midfield to add more hardness and ball getting ability. Then Shuey can transition to that Cousins high half forward role as he hits 30+. Kelly can get a few more handball receives and break away.

Would love to know who Rawlings would be targeting off our list. Rawlings drafted many of them and would know their potential / value. Would surely be keen on Bailey Williams for starts. Petruccelle would be in the mix as well. All of Duggan, Cole and Nelson have really stepped up this season too.

...Would love to know who Rawlings would be targeting off our list. Rawlings drafted many of them and would know their potential / value. Would surely be keen on Bailey Williams for starts. Petruccelle would be in the mix as well. All of Duggan, Cole and Nelson have really stepped up this season too.

Can't see any of these boys moving on. They are the:

3.gif

What problem would he fix?
Our diminishing supply of small forwards who can pinch hit on ball.

That problem.

187cm Tom Phillips? Tom Phillips, who has kicked 5 goals from 14 games in 2020?

Tom Phillips who has never kicked more than 15 goals in a single season is going to change that?

Okeydoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back