mic59

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 20, 2002
Alberton, the chosen land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Blyth Spartans, Dallas Cowboys
It seems more and more likely that Victorian teams will be out of the equation for the flag by the second or third week of the finals. If the MCG say, for instance that Port play Adelaide at the MCG, a disaster for the greater number of their fans, what is to stop the teams getting together and saying, screw you, we're playing in SA. I haven't read the contract in full, but if it could be challenged, I would think the greatest chance of success could be from an individual club. The hands of the AFL may be tied but any of its' component parts should be able to launch a challenge to whether they have to adhere to a contract which was signed under duress. And in the case of Port was signed when they had no chance to have input to the agreement.
Anyone got any idea?

The simple solution is that if we ever have to `host' a final there, we vandalise the entire place, start a bunch of fights, all after spending a few days throwing rotten fruit at MCG staff and AFL house.

That should bring up renegotiations pretty quickly.

Originally posted by Porthos
The simple solution is that if we ever have to `host' a final there, we vandalise the entire place, start a bunch of fights, all after spending a few days throwing rotten fruit at MCG staff and AFL house.

That should bring up renegotiations pretty quickly.

Didn't the Aussies come across a ground in England on a tour in the 70's where some people dug up the pitch and the game was cancelled.

Hit the MCG on Thursday night before the game and I'm sure they'd seriously consider shifting the Grand Final with no turf in place at the MCG..........:D

Hopefully winning the minor premiership will give us enough leverage up until GF time.

If it was Port v. Cows at the MCG I'm sure the two clubs could agree to a 'competitive hit out' on the night before - and just happen to let in supporters to see it. Then miss the flight to Melbourne. :D

Really if we end up with 6 non-Victorian sides after the first week of the finals or 4 after the first two I hope those remaining get together as a group and say they won't play any matches till the agreement allows highest rank sides to play at home. The AFL can threaten them, but in the end if they don't give in to the clubs they destroy season 2003, get pulled over the coals by sponsors and tv rights holders a lot more then compensating the MCC would cost. Unfortunately I can't see the clubs being any less spine-less when push comes to shove, especially the club(s) who are lucky enough to get the home final.

Hopefully with the renegotiation of the contract, more home and away games are promised to the ground and maybe we will get more than the one or two we get now.

We need to play more there, imagine if we have to play Melbourne in a grand final next year!

Here's a question for KG22 or anyone with some legal knowledge. If the contract which was renegotiated 18 months ago could be proved that it was signed by the AFL "under duress", then isn't the contract void? Is been stated a couple of times that the AFL was rushed into signing the contract by the Vic government could that be considered duress?

If that isn't a goer how about a few bomb threats before game time??:D

Originally posted by Scott
Just play the final at AAMI Stadium and send over a couple of SANFL sides to play at the MCG, at the end of the day a game is still played at the MCG on that weekend.

:D :D Luv it the MCC wouldn't know the difference anyway.:D :D
I went down and watched the Box Hill V Williamstown VFL game on the weekend. :eek: **** crap it was.

second rate compared to a Port V Norwood SANFL game at Alberton in the wind :p

There's no state of origin games anymore and we don't have the luxary of fielding a seconds team:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back