Traded Dan Butler [traded to St Kilda for #56]

Who won this trade?

• Richmond

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like some of the commentary from Richmond supporters in this thread is pretty spot on. I’ve always thought he’d be a great pickup for a club, and I’m glad he’s landed at the Saints.

Looks like some of the commentary from Richmond supporters in this thread is pretty spot on. I’ve always thought he’d be a great pickup for a club, and I’m glad he’s landed at the Saints.

Key word there is some... Not even close to a majority.

One trick pony.
Can only play as a small forward.
Others like Bolton, Rioli & Castagna all can play mid or like George can take a grab.
Higgins will be also ahead of Butler when he comes back next year

I don’t rate Butler... feel like he is stuck on rails and has no agility. He’s good for 10 possessions and 1 goal at best.

Think he is a lot more valuable to Richmond in their system than any other team. Wouldn’t be paying much to acquire him.

One of those players that gets the absolute best out of himself but can’t see much upside from what he already is, especially outside of the Richmond system.

not really he is a bit light and lazy at times

Our depth is so good

:poo:

I think he has made a mistake if he had a choice between carlton / St Kilda

He would have had more of a chance to play games at the blues than saints with Billings/Gresham at the saints

Oh dear...

If Butler keeps on his way, will make the decision to keep/play other blokes seem really bad.

Which blokes?

Castagna is the main one, Butler looks a far better player at this point. Was it only JC's better marking that tipped it in his favour?

Bolton has a 'higher ceiling' if you like, but looks lazy and disinterested at times. Can bob up, can do nothing.

Rioli has been s**t and Stack worse, but I realise they were never going to be traded.

Butler has out-tackled them all inside and outside 50 (league leader for forwards), has more score involvements (2nd in league), has more pressure acts (except for Rioli, similar rating) and looks to be working harder than any of them to the eye.

Oh dear...

If Butler keeps on his way, will make the decision to keep/play other blokes seem really bad.
Geez you’ve made a massive effort here reinforcing my statement. Thank you.

Im comfortable with my assessment of him in this thread and what the club who took a chance on him would get.

For what it’s worth, I thought the Blues made a blunder not picking him up as he was keen to get to them. But he’s doing fantastically well at the saints.

This is what I wrote pre-season 2019 on a thread about our small forwards.

'I like all our small forwards - George, Butler and Rioli. I honestly think Butler is potentially the best of the lot, but there seems to be some application issue - not sure what. His skills and decision-making can be sublime.

At the moment, George is ahead of him.'

After 2019, Butler was well down the queue - his year was very poor. His highlight was kicking 3 goals in a VFL game - all from the goalsquare from handpasses over the top.

Maybe it was application and he needed the kick up the bum of being cut/traded. Maybe Ratten can get through to him in a way Hardwick couldn't. Whatever - good on him.

3 in goals 4 in GA 2017

Played almost every game. Blokes s legend. Hope he does very well.

@24 has good upside for the saints

Castagna is the main one, Butler looks a far better player at this point. Was it only JC's better markinsg that tipped it in his favour?

Bolton has a 'higher ceiling' if you like, but looks lazy and disinterested at times. Can bob up, can do nothing.

Rioli has been sh*t and Stack worse, but I realise they were never going to be traded.

Butler has out-tackled them all inside and outside 50 (league leader for forwards), has more score involvements (2nd in league), has more pressure acts (except for Rioli, similar rating) and looks to be working harder than any of them to the eye.

What did sos think of Butler ?

Last edited:
3 in goals 4 in GA 2017

Played almost every game. Blokes s legend. Hope he does very well.

@24 has good upside for the saints

What did sos think of Butler ?
SOS knocked our recruitment of Butler on the head, preferring Papley.
Hindsight indicates that this was not the correct decision as Buts is looking like a great pickup for the Saints.

There's obviously a variety of reasons for why he wasn't playing consistent footy at Richmond, such as work rate, injury etc but he's also at an age where small forwards often start to really get going. It's a very tough position to play and not that many players star from 18/19 in it.

SOS knocked our recruitment of Butler on the head, preferring Papley.
Hindsight indicates that this was not the correct decision as Buts is looking like a great pickup for the Saints.
Yep but you can understand why SOS couldn’t go after both Butler & Papley with Betts already coming home. If they’d had got butler once the Papley deal fell through it may hurt the chances of future Papley trade. Then again Paley could easily play midfield imo.

The only reason we are talking about the Butler trade now is because of the terrible form of Stack & Rioli, not the form of Butler. If Stack & Rioli’s form was the same as Boltons then we’d all be saying yep fair trade and Richmond did have what we all new, so many gun small forwards that they couldn’t play/keep all of them.

If not for Clarkos nostalgia to not burn multiple premiership serviceman/players ie not delisting Poppy, if Poppy thinks he’s got another year in him, I’m sure Wright would have tried to get him to Hawthorn.....we ended up draftin a small/medium forward.

Last edited:

Oh dear...

Wonderful that you have quoted me

It appears to be an even bigger mistake that Silvagni didnt see butler as a good small foward even though he was the exact player needed at the blues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On 5 weeks of form Richmond look like idiots. Suspect that will be different when instead of 5 weeks it's 50.

On 5 weeks of form Richmond look like idiots. Suspect that will be different when instead of 5 weeks it's 50.

Hardly though, he went backwards after 2017, had 2 years to regain form and he didnt, in fact he was terrible in 2019.

Butler after the 2017 flag was not the same player not sure if that was the players that came into the team or just the dynamic of his role at the club where he was being played as just a small foward. Some players just need a different envoirenment to reignite their careers and looks like Dan has done this.
His potential was always high and had many injuries and Saints did very well to get him for a nothing pick and probably on very low coin.

Lol, if we are getting Martin and Papley into our club, why would we need Butler?

If anything, Butler choosing St Kilda makes me even more optimistic we will get our two gun targets. Why should we be labeled as villains for having high ambitions ?
Why indeed? I always thought Butler and Ellis would have improved your team. Newnes and Betts are shorter term and inferior versions of both.

I believe the people that wanted Butler and Ellis at Carlton are still at the club which is good signs for the future.

Why indeed? I always thought Butler and Ellis would have improved your team. Newnes and Betts are shorter term and inferior versions of both.

I believe the people that wanted Butler and Ellis at Carlton are still at the club which is good signs for the future.

Nah. Ellis price tag was too much. Very happy the club passed on that.

Butler would definitely have been a good get. The club decided to focus on Papley and got close but missed out. While Butler would have been nice, I can understand why they preferred Papley. Hopefully get another shot this year, but seems less likely by the week, or at best gonna cost a heap.

Nah. Ellis price tag was too much. Very happy the club passed on that.

Butler would definitely have been a good get. The club decided to focus on Papley and got close but missed out. While Butler would have been nice, I can understand why they preferred Papley. Hopefully get another shot this year, but seems less likely by the week, or at best gonna cost a heap.
Yeah I can see why they were so keen on Papley. Despite his diving antics, which he can eradicate from his game, he’s an absolute gun. Will cost the Blues a princely sum but worth it if they can somehow get him across.

The only reason I mention Butler is that I did know he was dead keen to get to the Blues, and was quite surprised when SOS said no to the trade. He was VERY surprised when Carlton went cold on him.

Richmond were also expecting him to go there and get nothing in return at the time.

Ellis yeah I spose you could take or leave but I’d prefer him over Newnes, and am not sure why they are playing him over blooding a kid.

But my team has certainly missed Brandon’s run this year, and GC do look better with him in their side.

Yeah I can see why they were so keen on Papley. Despite his diving antics, which he can eradicate from his game, he’s an absolute gun. Will cost the Blues a princely sum but worth it if they can somehow get him across.

The only reason I mention Butler is that I did know he was dead keen to get to the Blues, and was quite surprised when SOS said no to the trade. He was VERY surprised when Carlton went cold on him.

Richmond were also expecting him to go there and get nothing in return at the time.

Ellis yeah I spose you could take or leave but I’d prefer him over Newnes, and am not sure why they are playing him over blooding a kid.

But my team has certainly missed Brandon’s run this year, and GC do look better with him in their side.

Newnes has actually been pretty good for the team and contributed to wins, and Carlton really do need to develop a winning culture more than load up on too many kids at once for the sake of it - Bolton's error. Newnes is a top 5 goal kickers for the Blues and plays a different role than Ellis. I wouldn't mind having Ellis on the list for Newnes salary, but much prefer the salary cap space instead. 100% the right decision to pass on him.

Butler is different story. Would have come cheap and added to an area we're a bit light. Which wouldn't have mattered if Papley was landed, but he wasn't, so that one stings a bit. Bulter would be a solid addition to the Blues side.

Back