Free Agency Dan McStay [Joins Collingwood as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Smells like another Jessie White Quinten Lynch clone instead of going for A grade talent Collingwood think they can go for C or B grade players and turn them in to A grade.

Smells like another Jessie White Quinten Lynch clone instead of going for A grade talent Collingwood think they can go for C or B grade players and turn them in to A grade.
McStay is a serviceable player and will straighten the Magpies forward setup but 6 years is a lot for someone who has always been been 2nd/ 3rd forward

It would be even crazier if getting McStay ends up nixing their De Goey compo.

Watching the game tonight McStay will not make Collingwood better, don’t know why they would bother.

I personally think Brisbane is a better team with McStay in it and I watch most your games being a local. Fair enough if you have a different opinion.
Could you please share what kind of KPF he is in a front 6 set up? I’m trying to figure out why Collingwood is keen and how they would use him.

Sick of everyone’s simplistic opinions that Collingwood are just getting him because we need a KPF. There’s obviously more to it when recruiting teams look at players.

It would be even crazier if getting McStay ends up nixing their De Goey compo.
Clubs never do it but could the Pies retain the Do Goey compo by walking McStay to the PSD? Sure the Pies aren’t near the bottom of the ladder but they’ll be below Brisbane and does anyone below them take him at $600k for 5 years?

Clubs never do it but could the Pies retain the Do Goey compo by walking McStay to the PSD? Sure the Pies aren’t near the bottom of the ladder but they’ll be below Brisbane and does anyone below them take him at $600k for 5 years?

They could do it in theory, though I feel like they risk alienating the player, player managers and opposition clubs. It's different walking a player to the PSD when a trade can't be agreed upon, but in this case they have a direct way to sign the player without keeping the player in limbo.

They could do it in theory, though I feel like they risk alienating the player, player managers and opposition clubs. It's different walking a player to the PSD when a trade can't be agreed upon, but in this case they have a direct way to sign the player without keeping the player in limbo.
I don’t know how the points system really works but with Lions wanting Ashcroft, wouldn’t the Pies be better off trying to get a bevy of 2nds, 3rds and 4ths etc. to get the equivalent points to the Lions If JDG is leaving as a FA too? Otherwise JDG must be staying and we’re picking McStay up as a FA. Can’t see the Pies going for McStay as a FA and jeopardising the compo for JDG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know how the points system really works but with Lions wanting Ashcroft, wouldn’t the Pies be better off trying to get a bevy of 2nds, 3rds and 4ths etc. to get the equivalent points to the Lions If JDG is leaving as a FA too? Otherwise JDG must be staying and we’re picking McStay up as a FA. Can’t see the Pies going for McStay as a FA and jeopardising the compo for JDG.

Except a single compensation pick is worth a lot more to us than a suite of lesser picks given we need the list spots to use them (and list spots have been tight the last few years). For example we're better off with an end of first round compensation pick, than a bunch of picks in the 3rd round that is equivalent to that.

Could you please share what kind of KPF he is in a front 6 set up? I’m trying to figure out why Collingwood is keen and how they would use him.

Sick of everyone’s simplistic opinions that Collingwood are just getting him because we need a KPF. There’s obviously more to it when recruiting teams look at players.

He’s a 3rd tall/defensive forward. He’s good for the odd clunking mark up the ground occasionally, otherwise he mostly just occupies a defender.

As a Brisbane fan, it’s absolutely wild the money he’s being offered. Hope he knows he’s going to get torn apart by the Victorian media when he doesn’t perform to the standard set by his contract. Man doesn’t know how good he’s had it up here

Has he checked out already? Ideally you'd like to see some better performances for the rest of the year.

Maybe its a supply issue with the Lions 3 talls.

Hope he has a back bone, and being back in melb, he will get the attention if he doesn't perform.

He is playing more or less to the standard he always has - albeit it fluctuates week to week, eg some weeks he is more focal with down the line grabs and other weeks with a few strong grabs inside 50. Some weeks he is invisible. That is ok in our side because our forward half game is strong, but might be a bit different at Collingwood.

No reason to suggest that playing a more prominent role won't be a good thing for him and see him develop further. We have just never been able to play him in the role that Collingwood will pay him to play. It is why we needed to recruit Daniher.

No ill will towards McStay here, I will be genuinely interested to follow his career at the Pies.

I think the reason the pies have offered Mcstay such a good deal is because there isn't many key forward options available on the market. It's just supply vs demand and there isn't a lot of supply - that's always going to drive the price up. The pies are paying what they need to in order to get him.

I think the reason the pies have offered Mcstay such a good deal is because there isn't many key forward options available on the market. It's just supply vs demand and there isn't a lot of supply - that's always going to drive the price up. The pies are paying what they need to in order to get him.

As was said earlier, one of McKay or Curnow will be available soon, no way Carlton can keep both with the money they’re throwing around

I hope McStay is prepared for scruitney because if he has game like he had tonight at Collingwood he will be blasted by fans & media.

North would grab him in a blink. Noble knows him well. Same role as what he plays now, pair him to Larkey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back