Free Agency Dan McStay [Joins Collingwood as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

So do the Lions drop McStay and play Fort and Lohmann instead no point playing someone who doesn’t want to be there
No way. They have a flag to win and McStay can help them more than the other two.
That's what I would do and what Carlton did with Lachie Hendedson when he told the club he was going back to Geelong with 6 or so games remaining in the season
Carlton were last on the ladder the year Henderson left. You can't compare the two scenarios. We kept playing Brandon Ellis in 2019 when we knew he was likely gone and he won a 2nd premiership. That's what a professional club would do.

I dont understand why Collingwood target McStay, really a third tall when there are gun key forwards out there in 12 months.

You couldn't imagine the two tall Blues leave in Curnow and McKay but how do they honestly pay them with the deals there ve been throwing around to the likes of Zac Williams, Jack Martin, Hewett, Cerra and then keeping Weitering, Cripps, Walsh and the rest.

Ill preface by saying I want McStay to remain at Lions but Collingwood is one of the last clubs that I think would want a player of his type - and it seems a lot of Pies folk dont want him anyway.

No way. As a team in flag contention Brisbane needs to play their best 22.

I don't see it causing much disruption in the playing group. Players moving clubs is quite common now. Not like 10-15 years ago where every good player that left was branded a traitor.
McStay is one of the few Life Members of the club to jump ship for money - Rockliff the other but hed burnt bridges by then and Patfull needed to be in Sydney. The others Bradshaw - done over by the club in the Fev circus is understable and Adkcock and Power who left for that extra year or so at the end of there careers.

If McStay does go - he'll definitely be up there as the biggest traitor in my book - i said on our own thread that i dont have much affinity with players at the Lions such as Joe, Lachie, Charlie who left there clubs in much the same way Dan is leaving - not cool in my book and i dont have to be happy about it.

McStay is one of the few Life Members of the club to jump ship for money - Rockliff the other but hed burnt bridges by then and Patfull needed to be in Sydney. The others Bradshaw - done over by the club in the Fev circus is understable and Adkcock and Power who left for that extra year or so at the end of there careers.

If McStay does go - he'll definitely be up there as the biggest traitor in my book - i said on our own thread that i dont have much affinity with players at the Lions such as Joe, Lachie, Charlie who left there clubs in much the same way Dan is leaving - not cool in my book and i dont have to be happy about it.
The Blokes given your clubs 9 years of good service. He owes you nothing. If he can get a pay day and return home who could blame him?

Jeremy Cameron didn't want to be at GWS either, yet they matched and forced a trade. You do whats best for the club.
Yeah but cats were desperate for Cameron. Is anyone desperate for a risky De Goey? GWS would have happily kept Cameron for the term of the contract. Say if Saints offer a 4 year deal for De Goey, Pies aren't matching that if it's true they're only into him for 2 surely?

Yeah but cats were desperate for Cameron. Is anyone desperate for a risky De Goey? GWS would have happily kept Cameron for the term of the contract. Say if Saints offer a 4 year deal for De Goey, Pies aren't matching that if it's true they're only into him for 2 surely?
I think the contract they did offer before they pulled it was, 2 x a trigger for 2 extra.

Best case senario is that he stays.

The Blokes given your clubs 9 years of good service. He owes you nothing. If he can get a pay day and return home who could blame him?
Who said he does owe us anything. I value one club players a lot more than many. I very much doubt the Lions or Richmond or even Hawthorn wins as many premierships as they did if it wasnt for players making sacrifices for the greater good of the team and not selfishly putting themselves ahead of every other player on their respective list. I've lost count the amount of times Ive heard players from those three clubs comment about how much more successful they've become as a result of making the short-term sacrifice and ditching their club.

Not really.
If De Goey decided to leave. You match and force a trade.

No one is trading for de goey with his issues.
If you were to match he probably walks via the draft.
So this is an odd move unless de goey is staying.

As for mcstay hes barely worth above afl avg wage (350k) but theres a lack of key forwards on the market so it pushes his price up.

Jeremy Cameron didn't want to be at GWS either, yet they matched and forced a trade. You do whats best for the club.

Cameron didnt have the issues that de goey does though. I cant see a big money offer beint matched.

Who said he does owe us anything. I value one club players a lot more than many. I very much doubt the Lions or Richmond or even Hawthorn wins as many premierships as they did if it wasnt for players making sacrifices for the greater good of the team and not selfishly putting themselves ahead of every other player on their respective list. I've lost count the amount of times Ive heard players from those three clubs comment about how much more successful they've become as a result of making the short-term sacrifice and ditching their club.
But haven't the Lions got a similar offer on the table? Sounds like money isn't the only factor.

Cameron didnt have the issues that de goey does though. I cant see a big money offer beint matched.
I know. I'm just posing a hypothical that compo isn't the only option. There are a few options they can do.

Get him to stay. Which is best case senario
Trade for mcstay and keep the de goey compo
force a trade for de goey and possibly end up with better than what the compo may have been.

Hopefully it'll be the former.

If McStay does leave; lets hope De Goey leaves Collingwood for whoever and let them work that one out - should be a good laugh given their compo will be screwed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But haven't the Lions got a similar offer on the table? Sounds like money isn't the only factor.
Yeah from what I read. Lions have had a 500k x 5 years offer on the table for the past month. If he hasn't signed it already; probably not a good sign. Or weighing up going back home.
Maybe he is genuinely torn. Maybe he has made up his mind. Who knows; we can only go by what we read in the media.

But like you said, everyone knew Ellis was leaving way before the GF. Everyone accepted it. Gave good service. You thank him for his time and wish him well.

Not saying you have to be happy about it but not playing him because he is leaving would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I think the contract they did offer before they pulled it was, 2 x a trigger for 2 extra.

Best case senario is that he stays.
Will be weird for Pies to pull a 2+2 and then turnaround to match, lets say, a guaranteed 4 year from another club. DeGoey will say thanks and I'm happy to stay.

I dont understand why Collingwood target McStay, really a third tall when there are gun key forwards out there in 12 months.

You couldn't imagine the two tall Blues leave in Curnow and McKay but how do they honestly pay them with the deals there ve been throwing around to the likes of Zac Williams, Jack Martin, Hewett, Cerra and then keeping Weitering, Cripps, Walsh and the rest.

Ill preface by saying I want McStay to remain at Lions but Collingwood is one of the last clubs that I think would want a player of his type - and it seems a lot of Pies folk dont want him anyway.
If i were a list manager I'm throwing 1 million to 1.2 million a year x 4-5 at Curnow

Not saying you have to be happy about it but not playing him because he is leaving would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.
How so? When we were winning games in the first part of the year, we played 2 rucks and 2 key forwrds. Since Eric and Joe have come back and we've canned the 2 ruck set up, our season has gone down hill by playing 3 forwards. Persoannly I think Eric should be dropped, but if Dan was out, then sure dont play him and revert back to what was working - 2 x rucks and 2 forwards _ Joe and Eric. So how is that cutting your nose off, pretty measured reasoning. Play those that actually want to be at the club particulalry when the set up is better for your team. If he was to re-sign, play Dan and I maintain that Eric still should be dropped.

How so? When we were winning games in the first part of the year, we played 2 rucks and 2 key forwrds. Since Eric and Joe have come back and we've canned the 2 ruck set up, our season has gone down hill by playing 3 forwards. Persoannly I think Eric should be dropped, but if Dan was out, then sure dont play him and revert back to what was working - 2 x rucks and 2 forwards _ Joe and Eric. So how is that cutting your nose off, pretty measured reasoning. Play those that actually want to be at the club particulalry when the set up is better for your team. If he was to re-sign, play Dan and I maintain that Eric still should be dropped.
Are you dropping Hippy who pretty much was our only Key forward to actually play well against Melbourne I feel he’s just about to fire at AFL level he just came back from a massive knee injury it took Rayner almost half a season to play well

I personally think Brisbane is a better team with McStay in it and I watch most your games being a local. Fair enough if you have a different opinion.

I personally think Brisbane is a better team with McStay in it and I watch most your games being a local. Fair enough if you have a different opinion.
Its not with 3 key forwards - hence if Dan wants out play Joe and Eric, which is why I said if Dan was to re-commit then Eric goes out - for mine. I mean if we are being really honest, its not like we can with the GF - Demons have it in the bad, unless someone like Carlton or Fremantle causes an upset so the Lions should start planning for next year and if Dan doesnt want to be here, dont play him like Carlton didnt play Henderson when he decided to go to Geelong. Dan certainly didnt look like he wanted to be here last Thursday night.

Please don't embarass our board on other forums.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back