News DBJ, Hayes & Marshall Sign On

Remove this Banner Ad

Hayes was definitely a zig while others zag pick.

Everyone had just seen the Bulldogs and then Richmond win flags without a really recognised ruck and so weren’t prepared to take a punt on him.

Too bad that the Bulldogs and Richmond only had one half of the puzzle (pressure). To make it sustainable, you need the ability to slow down the play too.

Hayes was definitely a zig while others zag pick.

Everyone had just seen the Bulldogs and then Richmond win flags without a really recognised ruck and so weren’t prepared to take a punt on him.

Too bad that the Bulldogs and Richmond only had one half of the puzzle (pressure). To make it sustainable, you need the ability to slow down the play too.
I forgot we got him as a steal because people had become afraid of ruckmen....nice :).

That's the main thing I think about when I see him play. If I had to guess it looked like last trial against Crows reserves it was 60% Hayes rucking and 40% Frampton and they were the only 2 talls we had in the midfield/forward line.

Hayes needs to build up his strength so he can out muscle guys in the ruck or when taking marks. He'd find it really tough this week if hypothetically he was all by himself rucking and being the only tall forward due to Ladhams possibly being injured and Frampton maybe being called up.
And last time I looked at your List Management thread we have only recruited 6 footers for Magpie contracted players.

Its why I keep calling for us to use the Category B rookie list and go and find 2 big bastards from the US or basketball or volleyball type background ie 205cm/110-115kg types. I know Ken doesn't like having lots of big blokes and people on here would absolutely piss their pants if they see we have 6 rucks on a list of 47 but having big strong rucks on the list allows for this sort of situation and protects skinny longer term prospects having to spend a season getting bashed up when they could be protected somewhat.

And you get the SANFL to allow Category B development type players to be played in the Academy side as thats where these players should be playing most of their games, especially if the SANFL wants to protect the integrity of its comp.

When we rookied Brogan he was playing A and B grade for South Adelaide. Same with Barnaby French at Sturt and then Daniel Bass years later at Souths. When Jim Stynes was recruited from Ireland by Melbourne, he didn't start off playing in Melbourne reserves team, he played U/19's and then was sent to Prahran in the VFA and played mainly A grade but also the odd game in their B grade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back