Review Dees v West Coast Eagles in Perf: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Round 21, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

One big fat ugly:

The 90 degree switch kicks from HBF to HBF that crept in. We got away with about three of them that were very near run things. Would much prefer a safer shorter switch in that part of the ground.
Yeah, you don't want the 90 degree ones, but I kind of didn't mind it as it showed we wanted to open up some space.

Also, I'm consistently taken aback by how well Petty reads the ball in the air.

More than happy to eat humble pie after trashing him in the first Hawthorn game (what do you know, young KPDs take more than one game to settle in). I changed my tune a while back, but wanted to re-emphasise just how impressive he's been.

Between the old (Hibberd, Jetta), the guns in their prime (May, Lever, Salem), the youngsters (Bowey, Petty, Rivers) and the foot soldiers/depth (Hunt, Lockhart, Hore), we're going to have a rock solid back six for years to come that should keep us in contention for a while.

Also, I'm consistently taken aback by how well Petty reads the ball in the air.

More than happy to eat humble pie after trashing him in the first Hawthorn game (what do you know, young KPDs take more than one game to settle in). I changed my tune a while back, but wanted to re-emphasise just how impressive he's been.

Between the old (Hibberd, Jetta), the guns in their prime (May, Lever, Salem), the youngsters (Bowey, Petty, Rivers) and the foot soldiers/depth (Hunt, Lockhart, Hore), we're going to have a rock solid back six for years to come that should keep us in contention for a while.

Crazy we have gone from a rubbish defence outside Jetta in 2018 to the best back 6 in the competition.

Our defence made great choices almost all night of when to come off their man and pressure/shut down the uncoming play.

Was great to watch. May/Lever/Petty have such amazing feel for this at the moment.

Ditto all the positives, but does anyone else see how often Salem (Advocate of too) doesn't put his head over the footy?
Or halve a conetst he knows he might get contact to pull either an impenetrable kick down to line to no one or a dinky "Hollywood" Handball ?

When Salo doesnt go in for the ball, or get contact hell turn it over

There's a little Freo player who comes from the same tribe. Can't remember his name, and can't be bothered looking it up.
Mitch Crowden is who you're thinking of

Any win in WA is a bloody good one. Especially when you're battling the booing crowd and the terribly one sided umpiring.

Really don't care what happened after the lightning break. Wouldn't read too much into it tbh. It was a bizarre incident and was only going to favour one side.

Good

Locked in a Top 4 spot! F*** Yeah!! Maybe a chance to rest some blokes, but not sure who will be putting their hand up so close to finals. Wouldn't want to be giving up a spot right now. But a good position to be in to know we have a double chance.

Luke F***ing Jackson!! Seeing him show off what he can do in front of his home crowd was so bloody satisfying! He's a ripper! Marking has improved throughout the year, and we can all see how good the guy is on his second efforts and he's sublime below his knees! God like! Rising Star locked up as well!

Petracca's hands. His handballs front of the contest are a bloody weapon!

Ben Brown. Best game for the club. If he can bring that into finals then we are a real shot at it.

ANB. How good was he! He was everywhere. Close to his best game for the club IMO.

Melksham. Maybe, just maybe he can find his 2018 form for another month or so!

Bad

Fritta. Just couldn't get into the game. Thankfully others stepped up.

Viney conundrum. Harmes played a pretty good game. A very good game in fact. I don't think it's a coincidence that we play better without Jack. I love the guy, but we just look a m ore balanced side without him. I think Harmes has more tricks as a player. I don't think we'll go into a finals campaign dropping our VC, but I still think we look more balanced without him.

Ugly

Umpiring. It really is something every team has to battle but shouldn't. Not saying we didn't get a couple of decisions go our way, but WCE always get the rub of the green over there. Glad it didn't have a huge impact.

Spot on. He's also fu**en funny on Triple M, would be an absolute pleasure to play for as long as you put in 100% and played the way he wanted.

Collingwood kidding themselves if they aren't seriously considering him.
Hes great on the Ms, think it was clas they were talking about targeting players and he let slip occasionally if he could send out Baker or Crowley or even the whole team to 'accidentally' corky a bloke he would encourage it 😂

Carlton should absolutely take him, he's taken 2 clubs to grand finals and if he took over Carlton I'd put money on them making the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just remembered an ugly. Eddie trying to be funny and referring to Bon Scott being a West Australian and ACDC thunderstruck. Problem is that song came out in 92? 12 years after bon Scott's death. Pretty cringe worthy few seconds of TV. It's like politicians with sports, didn't paul keating congratulate a rugby league player on kicking a lot of tries?

Just remembered an ugly. Eddie trying to be funny and referring to Bon Scott being a West Australian and ACDC thunderstruck. Problem is that song came out in 92? 12 years after bon Scott's death. Pretty cringe worthy few seconds of TV. It's like politicians with sports, didn't paul keating congratulate a rugby league player on kicking a lot of tries?
He was referencing their song Jailbreak. Very cringey but admittedly I LOL'd.

Crazy we have gone from a rubbish defence outside Jetta in 2018 to the best back 6 in the competition.

This is actually something Goodwin and the rest of the coaching staff should really be given more credit for. When Goodwin took over he obviously identified our lackluster defensive line, our game style in 2017/18 was built on limiting the exposure of our back six by dominating the contested ball and cheating forward to create easy scores. Yeah we leaked some goals out the back but since we couldn't rely on that group to defend well enough anyway we were happy to cop a few.

Since then we have Invested heavily in developing that backline and have altered the gameplan to reflect it, we're no longer as concerned about smashing the opposition in the clearances and contested ball to create scoring opportunties because we can absorb opposition entries and hurt them on the rebound.

Another small one, and Rivers got called for a free kick which wasn't there, but how good was Rivers backing himself to ourmark Darling in the air? Darling obviously went down like a sack of spuds but for a 2nd year HBF Rivers is unbeleivably strong and always backs himself
I liked when Riv hit that risky 50m switch kick that made it cm perfect to May, he put in the hard yards to get over to the other flank and got to the boundary side space to receive the kick back and made the switch work. Was very good work rate.

I liked when Riv hit that risky 50m switch kick that made it cm perfect to May, he put in the hard yards to get over to the other flank and got to the boundary side space to receive the kick back and made the switch work. Was very good work rate.
that made me hard ngl

Sparrow 12 disposals and 2 tackles. Clearly playing without any confidence. Really doesn't know how to play his role it would appear and doesn't have an ability to link up play during the game.
Yeah he's just a placeholder for Viney or McDonald at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back