Review Dees v West Horsham Crows: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing with guys like Jordon and Brown is they aren’t absolute spuds but if we are contending for a flag they shouldn’t be in the team.

Woey needs to be in the team over Jordon when Oliver is back.

Brave win. Most sides would’ve folded in the last. Two weeks in a row now we’ve won close ones, which bodes well.

Viney massive. Gawn huge. Brown handy.

8 points and %age clear in top four. We’re a ‘live dog’ from here as they say in UFC parlance.

Brown handy hahahahah gold mate

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Good: That's the last we see of that dud Brown
The Bad: That's the last we see of that premiership player Brown
The Ugly: Grundy coming in for Brown

Probably never going to happen and I understand why but id love to see them give Jefferson a game vs Norf in a few weeks if his form from yesterday kept up. Better than trotting Brown, Grundy and Smith out there. Wet the appetite of the fans even if thats the only game he plays for the season.

Probably never going to happen and I understand why but id love to see them give Jefferson a game vs Norf in a few weeks if his form from yesterday kept up. Better than trotting Brown, Grundy and Smith out there. Wet the appetite of the fans even if thats the only game he plays for the season.

I hear what you're saying, but I think we need to make the move now and have Grundy replace Brown and leave him and JVR there for the rest of the season to try and build some cohesion.

That’s an absolute given.
I don’t dislike Jordon as much as most but he is a back up midfielder and that’s it. Woey looks like he knows hit to play half forward, even though you’d hope he ultimately becomes a midfielder.

I like him, hes cool with the ball generally. I could see him playing numerous roles moving forward, wing, half back, half forward, mid. We are desperate for smart ball users so there is a place for him now imo.

I like him, hes cool with the ball generally. I could see him playing numerous roles moving forward, wing, half back, half forward, mid. We are desperate for smart ball users so there is a place for him now imo.

That delivery to ANB in the third quarter was sublime. Identified the space and kicked it to advantage, which two-thirds of our team are apparently incapable of.

I hear what you're saying, but I think we need to make the move now and have Grundy replace Brown and leave him and JVR there for the rest of the season to try and build some cohesion.

I think that is exactly what will happen.

As long as JVR stays in the team for the rest of the season I can live with whoever else Goody plays even though I dont like our options. No excuse for dropping JVR again. Hes the now and the future.

I think that is exactly what will happen.

As long as JVR stays in the team for the rest of the season I can live with whoever else Goody plays even though I dont like our options. No excuse for dropping JVR again. Hes the now and the future.
I actually love Ben Brown, especially for how he went in 2021. But I'm kinda glad he was much much much worse than JVR so Goody won't even think about dropping JVR

I actually love Ben Brown, especially for how he went in 2021. But I'm kinda glad he was much much much worse than JVR so Goody won't even think about dropping JVR

If we are going to challenge this year it won't be from playing vets, it will be coz guys like JVR and Woey step up and give us a point of difference from the guys who we already know what they are capable of. Goody has got to resist temptation of going back to old faithful and put his faith in some youth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oooh, that's where you're wrong, Goody has 1000% thought about dropping JVR for some peanut brain theory rolling around inside that empty skull of his after this game

Good
  • 4 points is 4 points
  • JVR clunking contested marks
  • Kosi and the Crimson Chin playing well again

Bad
Our defensive structure was sitting too deep all day. Adelaide were easily able to get out of defence by picking the short option. Even once they got into the attacking half our defence sat back in the d50. The Crows have multiple players who can goal from outside 50 and are more than happy to have a shot.

Our forwards spent the majority of the game standing behind their defenders. Every time we entered the f50 they were second to the contest. Crows were able to rack up intercepts galore because Roo, Brown, Melk etc were having their leads disrupted trying to run past their man.

Fugly
1 tackle in our forward 50 for the entire game

How good is the opposition spraying their s**t in front of goal instead of us.
Had a nice time watching this.

Fugly
Where did you get this stat please?

Weirdly I felt pretty serene in that final quarter - thought it was exciting, lots of momentum swings. I enjoyed it, despite our brainfarts and how close we let it become. Kinda like the 2nd Pies game last year, we lost but I had fun watching. This was similar, we had plenty of space to work with thanks to the Crows' dashing style and we actually used it.

In terms of analysis, I'd agree with omit re our forwards - we let their HBs run up for the receive too easily; defence did seem to sit too deep as well but I think that's just how sides will play us going forward. They know May/Lever/et al can easily kill off the slow, pressured bombs, so will try and play a fast short game to separate the defence.

Some great individual efforts - Kozz, Viney, Chandler really good. ANB had some great defensive efforts. May had a stinker in the 2nd half (missed the first at the GWS game).

Looking long term there are still issues with our game and the need for a reliable KPF. I like BBB but he only had a few moments today, can't seem to pull together a full game. Smith was great as sub, adds some spark.

Good
  • 4 points is 4 points
  • JVR clunking contested marks
  • Kosi and the Crimson Chin playing well again

Bad
Our defensive structure was sitting too deep all day. Adelaide were easily able to get out of defence by picking the short option. Even once they got into the attacking half our defence sat back in the d50. The Crows have multiple players who can goal from outside 50 and are more than happy to have a shot.

Our forwards spent the majority of the game standing behind their defenders. Every time we entered the f50 they were second to the contest. Crows were able to rack up intercepts galore because Roo, Brown, Melk etc were having their leads disrupted trying to run past their man.

Fugly
It's interesting because in the past we've pushed too high, really need to get that balance right.

That first 4 minutes of the last quarter was diabolical I can cop Adelaide getting the first goal but the team needs to be able to hold the momentum. Spent all game gaining that lead and it disappeared so quickly.

Overall thought we were the better side but just didn't have that killer blow. Plenty of chances to put the game away and instead we shat our pants. Petracca was a recidivist on this. Slow down mate and just take the shot properly. The one in the second where he went to snap and just bellied the ball and again in the third when he was running in and just completely hacked it. He either shinned it or toed it either way it was disgusting.

Thought chin had a great return, moved up and down the ground and impacted the scoreboard.

Like kozzies game back to what we expect.

Thought we allowed them too much easy uncontested ball. Too many times they managed to release pressure and move the ball from defence to attack very quickly.

Will need to watch the replay to find more positives

The Good: That's the last we see of that dud Brown
The Bad: That's the last we see of that premiership player Brown
The Ugly: Grundy coming in for Brown

Imagine being such a sad sack ☝🏼 that you will players from the side you claim to support to fail. True definition of a hater this poster.

The Crows are a good side. After watching us go down to Freo limply and not be able to hold on against the Giants, I'm pleased to see the "learnings" hold up.

My big takeaway from that game is that May is no longer reliable. In the past three weeks, the guy has had one incredible game and two utter howlers. You need to be able to trust your full back to put in a 6/10 on a good day, and he's no longer that player. He's lost a yard of pace and some of his athleticism below the knees. I don't fancy going into next year with him as our #1 defender, would prefer him to shift into the Hibberd role. I shudder to think what kind of spray May would give a teammate if he put in a shift like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back