Review Dees v West Horsham Crows: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I missed the game bc I forgot it was on, but I'm thrilled by how upset everyone on here is, it means I can get the full gameday experience without even having to watch the replay

Morally we lost both, though

Yeah Nah. Both sets are sooks

Gotta say, despite there only being 33k at the ground yesterday it was probably the best atmosphere we've had at a game I've been to all year. Kicking goals and faster ball movement makes a massive difference. In the last quarter the crowd was going nuts before every ball up.

Gotta say, despite there only being 33k at the ground yesterday it was probably the best atmosphere we've had at a game I've been to all year. Kicking goals and faster ball movement makes a massive difference. In the last quarter the crowd was going nuts before every ball up.

would you say the volume was loud enough that we dont have to trade Trac?

would you say the volume was loud enough that we dont have to trade Trac?
Man that video was embarrassing, and not the first time they've had a dig at the supporters for not being loud enough. Pretty out of touch and insulting from the club to blame the supporters for not getting involved when we were playing the most boring stodgy football ever for most of the year.

Man that video was embarrassing, and not the first time they've had a dig at the supporters for not being loud enough. Pretty out of touch and insulting from the club to blame the supporters for not getting involved when we were playing the most boring stodgy football ever for most of the year.

Only club in the afl who actively insults its own fans. Like I don’t get how they think we are just going to magically triple our fanbase after one flag, it takes a dynasty and 30 years to increase fanbase significantly through success.

Some credit to the team/club: we've now ended 63 of the last 65 rounds in the top-four, and are currently sitting in there with a two game plus percentage buffer.

We're not always convincing, but that's some pretty remarkable consistency from a club that was in the wilderness for so many years.

Still, need another flag to really solidify this era.

Crows will be talked up, Melbourne nearly bottled it etc but when the Pies beat them twice by a kick the dialogue was “how good is Collingwood”.

We’ve got work to do but Adelaide had finals on the line and played bloody well.

Take a close win and move on
Headline from “Access all Areas”
“Crows threw it away, Clutch Pies”

Pies played 2nd place at their home ground, we played 10th at ours. Media loves collingwood but let’s not act like it was an amazing performance by us.
I don't particularly care about the media, but to be fair, this was the headline when Collingwood also beat the Crows by two points at the 'G. I suppose they came from behind though.

Screenshot_20230724_135552_AFL.jpg

Relieved at the win, but we're hardly convincing. Routinely cough up 4-5 goal leads and late in the game too. We were pretty lucky Collingwood and Adelaide didnt overrun us.

We wont be afforded the same luxury in finals

I don't particularly care about the media, but to be fair, this was the headline when Collingwood also beat the Crows by two points at the 'G. I suppose they came from behind though.

View attachment 1752780

I like it. Collingwood as media darlings and ‘masters of the close one’ has all the hallmarks of a massive let down for them in September.

Very easy to start believing your own hype as a club.

Giving up 7 goals in the last is concerning. Have we done that so far this season? I thought we were a last quarter dominant side?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's just put in two absolute stinkers. He found form mid-year after a bad start, and now he's gone backwards again. Like I said, he's still a good player, but he's not doing a reliable job and our defence is suffering from it.
MayB he's trying to do too much, with Petty in and out like a Russian YoYo. Lever makes it harder for May much of the time, being only a 3rd tall type.

Ok, so two not good ("stinkers" is an overreaction) games against two of the best forward lines in the league - either without Petty or with him injured and out of form, and both without Hibberd.

Two games where we lost both the tackle count and the inside 50 count.

Two games we also won.

Sure, form hasn't been great, but reckon this is a massive overreaction when you look at the full context.
We've been quicker with our ball movement off our half-backline, the past 2 or 3 weeks.

This also makes the ball coming back in, more frequent and quicker. May being our No1 back, has to suffer this more often. When petty is back more regularly, this will change for the better, imv.

Where can we hide Lever.? Back-edge of the square, at ball ups.?

The Upshot of our speedier ball is, our forwards work better together.

Tommo looked to have got a new turning circle in that first half? Was very clean and agile and largely outplayed Fogarty.
He did some good things didn't he. But he is limited as hes only a 2.5 tall defender. Not confidant at all as a body on body player.
Kozz having 20 touches and 4-5 shots on goal a game makes us so much more dangerous. Helps when Chandler can slot in and kick 3 straight as well.
Score board pressure... but has a lot to do with where our defenders launch from. We came thru the corridor more often and also used Langers wing a fair bit.
Being far less predictable really helps our forward structure, and pulls oppo defences apart.
BBB was constructive without notable stats.
Woey has something about him - I like
I agree, i would persist.
Trac had an almost game. Viney immense and reliable.
The heat was on around stoppages, and no one had a split second to spare.
Viney, king of the Scraps.

When you stop playing an extra behind the ball, you’re likely to concede more from clearance and turnover and then when you also add in over lapping run you are are further exposed to concede on turnover. There’s been a clear switch from the contest and defence mantra to the more attacking style to get the uptick in scoring.

My question is what style is best for going head to head with Collingwood or Port in a big final? They are a superior kicking teams with better forward lines to us but our defensive style chokes up our scoring and puts our average forward line in an uphill battle.

End of the day we aren’t the best side in it and I think we’ll need to pinch a big final in a lowish scoring, high intensity grind because it’s hard to see us winning a shoot out v Pies or Port this year. Maybe Oliver back with Petracca forward gives us another level.

We've been quicker with our ball movement off our half-backline, the past 2 or 3 weeks.

This also makes the ball coming back in, more frequent and quicker. May being our No1 back, has to suffer this more often. When petty is back more regularly, this will change for the better, imv.

Where can we hide Lever.? Back-edge of the square, at ball ups.?

The Upshot of our speedier ball is, our forwards work better together.

Yep, but the forward pressure is vital too - No coincidence May had a poor game on the weekend when we had 1 inside 50 tackle for the whole game.

It's been obvious since round 1 but Kozzy and Trac splitting their midfield/forward minutes is a big winner. Not sure why we went away from it until recently but it's return is very welcome.

It's been obvious since round 1 but Kozzy and Trac splitting their midfield/forward minutes is a big winner. Not sure why we went away from it until recently but it's return is very welcome.
Yeah, I'll admit my error on this one. Thought Trac didn't have the forward craft to make it work (plus his goal kicking had been shambolic), and I thought our midfield wouldn't cope without him in it, especially with the absence of Oliver.

Only been three games, but have probably seen enough to know that I was a little off the mark.

Yeah, I'll admit my error on this one. Thought Trac didn't have the forward craft to make it work (plus his goal kicking had been shambolic), and I thought our midfield wouldn't cope without him in it, especially with the absence of Oliver.

Only been three games, but have probably seen enough to know that I was a little off the mark.
I've been surprised by how effective our midfield has been. Helps that Viney has been in career best form but Brayshaw has stepped up the past couple of weeks. Sometimes having your best players go out for a bit can make you a better team as you have to get more creative and unpredictable to cover for the losses. Certainly feels that way losing Oliver and Fritsch for extended periods.

I've been surprised by how effective our midfield has been. Helps that Viney has been in career best form but Brayshaw has stepped up the past couple of weeks. Sometimes having your best players go out for a bit can make you a better team as you have to get more creative and unpredictable to cover for the losses. Certainly feels that way losing Oliver and Fritsch for extended periods.

Gonna crunch numbers later if work stays quiet but reckon we might be the best clearance team in the comp since Oliver went out :$

Gonna crunch numbers later if work stays quiet but reckon we might be the best clearance team in the comp since Oliver went out :$
I've seen enough, it's time to trade Oliver. We'll need to add a sweetener for anyone to take on his salary though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back