Dustin Martin's battle with depression and Anxiety

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, come downs are no laughing matter
You’re one of the stupidest people on Bigfooty, and that’s saying something. Well done on being a total flog. Do you work at it or does it come naturally?

You’re one of the stupidest people on Bigfooty, and that’s saying something. Well done on being a total flog. Do you work at it or does it come naturally?

Ended up this way the same way Dusty did - lots of nose beers

I wonder if Trent has room for me. I could do with his help and direction.

Trent has perfect hair and has a perfect wife. He most likely could.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Ah man - I’m getting tired of people looking for some reason to blame people for their own MH issues. Sure people have responsibilities as adults but no one with MH issues wants to have them

People who suggest stuff like this are either dumb or just plain mean basically

Good on you Dusty. You’re a champ - in many ways

Good on him for opening up.

There were a lot of question maks on whether he’d ben cousins after 2017 and he came back looking better than 2017.

Star and i look forward to him getting back to his best as hes a joy to watch

Well said mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty is probably one of many players that suffer from depression and anxiety. The fact that he has come out and admitted to it publicly is a great step for him. Hopefully it only makes more people aware of the seriousness of mental illness.
The stigma of mental health, is still unfortunately prevalent in society. As more sports people, actors, singers ect come out, and admit their own battles with depression and anxiety, the more awareness of the conditions are created. So as much as I dislike the tigers and Dusty’s bogan antics at times, I wish to congratulate him on his courage for speaking out.

It is completely understandable that essentially achieving all your goals can leave somewhat of an empty feeling. Remember premiership hero Tom Boyd also missed games the year after being the deciding factor in an amazing premiership victory.
I've wanted to do more research on this topic because I felt it myself somewhat a few years ago after achieving a couple of big personal goals. Just a 'what's next?' feeling can really overcome you. In Dusty's case it's probably heightened by having arguably the greatest individual season a player has ever had, coupled with the ultimate team success, all at the highest level in his sport. That isn't an easy thing to come back from with all the motivation and dedication required to be an elite footballer.

It’s a well known psychological phenomenon, a type of existential crisis. It can come after completing any major project. For instance , a lot of Irish people worked tirelessly to have abortion legalised. Once Parliament passes the vote, many people felt unaccountably deflated. Call it ‘what next?’ syndrome, though it may have an official name.

Ticking off boxes isn’t the best method for sustaining mental health. It’s better to ask ‘what gives my life meaning and purpose?’ , remaining in the mindful present and directing your attention to those goals

Media.

Whether it be social media or professional/mainstream has a lot to answer for.

Players are just drowning in media these days.

I know plenty of people who don't use social media at all (and many more that just restrict it to family, close friends). It has zero negative effect on their lives. It's very, very easy not to use it.

Dusty is copping the type of tags the great players all cop, and will have to work his way through it. He is not the first and won't be the last player to get frustrated by it which has affected his form.

Dusty got tagged nearly every week of the 2017 season which was arguably the best individual season by a player, so it’s not like he can’t handle a tag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back