Dustin Martin's battle with depression and Anxiety

Remove this Banner Ad

So now that Dustin has now been filmed bullying players who have suffered from depression, anxiety and substance abuse issues, are we allowed to hang s**t on him as well?

There's never been any evidence that Dusty is not an honourable and law-abiding citizen. What would I have said?

Not what i am referring to and you know it. Go on, answer the question i raised properly. Have you not previously slagged off Martin over the journey? What, only now will you start to?

Not what i am referring to and you know it. Go on, answer the question i raised properly. Have you not previously slagged off Martin over the journey? What, only now will you start to?
I've never sledged Martin. I've never had reason to.

I'm generally too busy abusing my own players to worry about anything else.

I've never sledged Martin. I've never had reason to.

I'm generally too busy abusing my own players to worry about anything else.

Ahhhh, you're a saint. If i was to ask that question though to other people, would they really support your view? You know, that on the MB, you've never slagged off Martin or sledged etc? What do you think they would say?

There are some players who have their best seasons when they are up for contract negotiations. Dusty is one whose performance has spiked twice during his career, around contract time. Cloke was another. It probably reveals in most cases that the player doesn't love the daily grind of footy and can only sustain their truly best football for a certain length of time. Sometimes you can look at a player and guess if they love it... or their attention is divided. I have always wondered how much Martin loves footy... If you have depression and anxiety you are going to have mixed feelings about it all.
Nah.. Dusty loves footy that's one thing I know and loves being out there when Richmond we're considering resting him for Hawthorn in the JLT after hurting his knee the week before Leppitsch said "Dusty wants to play and won't be having any of it"

I’d guess roughly 80% of AFL players “like nose candy”. Do we never treat their claims of mental illnesses seriously because a small minority are allegedly using it to circumvent the system?
I reckon you’ve got a 50% chance of being statistically incorrect.

Nah.. Dusty loves footy that's one thing I know and loves being out there when Richmond we're considering resting him for Hawthorn in the JLT after hurting his knee the week before Leppitsch said "Dusty wants to play and won't be having any of it"
Yeah he might love footy but not AFL and everything that goes along with it. The media, the training sessions, the recovery sessions, the fans, the film study, the restrictions.

I have no doubt Dusty loves playing in a game then having a bit of banter with the boys over a few cold beers, but yeah just everything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would also be constantly asked to visit sick kids, sign autographs whenever someone asks, do promotions ect.He can't walk down the street without people staring at him.It's not a normal way of life especially for an introvert.

Was talking to someone last night. Dusty visited his daughter's primary school a couple of years ago and froze when he saw the assembled crowd. Brandon Ellis was there also and was relaxed and confident, but Dusty had to be cajoled into getting up in front of the audience. He's probably more comfortable these days, but it doesn't come naturally.

Heard something similar about Tony Lockett at a big St.Kilda function not too long ago. He sat in a back room drinking a considerable amount of alcohol before he could get up and speak, but once he did he had the crowd in raptures.

Yeah he might love footy but not AFL and everything that goes along with it. The media, the training sessions, the recovery sessions, the fans, the film study, the restrictions.

I have no doubt Dusty loves playing in a game then having a bit of banter with the boys over a few cold beers, but yeah just everything else.
I think you’ve hit it there - though I reckon football related stuff like recovery and training is something he doesn’t mind, everything I’ve seen suggests he’s a real hard worker.
But all the media stuff, he can’t stand it. Being in the games absolutely elite doesn’t help at all.

My first thought on reading this was why speak.
i)zeitgeist
ii)sponsors
iii)ralphcarr
qualifier: i do have sympathy for him with his father's (plight? if it is a plight?)
second: reckon dane swan the best asset richmond have 'got' with him in dusty'spocket. and as much as cheap sledge, carr is great for martin the person. #dustyspocket

Slowly introducing the Buddy card so he has grounds for renegotiating his early contract termination in time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back