Dusty Hit

Remove this Banner Ad

The media has gone into hysterics Dusty and the tigers. 'Dusty has lost the plot' ... 'Dusty's bad season has gotten even worse'. It's round three ffs.

And the please explain thing from the AFL about the 'taunts' from dusty, what a joke, its pretty bloody obvious isn't.. Mumford was being a ****wit and Dusty was giving it back to him. Pathetic.

The media has gone into hysterics Dusty and the tigers. 'Dusty has lost the plot' ... 'Dusty's bad season has gotten even worse'. It's round three ffs.

And the please explain thing from the AFL about the 'taunts' from dusty, what a joke, its pretty bloody obvious isn't.. Mumford was being a ****wit and Dusty was giving it back to him. Pathetic.
It's Mummy's fault then?

You're funny

I got the impression that when Michael Christian was talking about a player going down for a significant time or being injured he was talking about body blows which is a different kettle of fish.

2 weeks seems fair, if it was Sicily we would be saying it should have been 4+

"Taking into account the visual look of the incident..."

- Michael Christian

When has this ever been a factor in sentencing?

Time for Dusty to drag out his old man's Aboriginal heritage claim and take it to the AAT. He'll probably be paid compensation.

a lot of head hunters in this thread, not that I'm surprised by that.

anyway, let me start by saying that I'm all for acts like the elbow to the head to cop a week at least. there is no place for it in our game and what he did was stupid and all thing being equal, deserves a week.

however the AFL has already set the precedent on this by grading Tom Mitchells as Misconduct and giving him a $1,500 fine.

there is no difference in the 2 acts. Both off the ball, both elbow to the head, both players hit felt it but didn't go down / go off the ground.

Let's see how the AFL go sticking to their own precedent.
Was that this year?

If you are going by precedent you cant compare years. Some years gut punches are punished, yet this year it seems they are laughed at despite talk of wanting to come down hard on them.

Was that this year?

If you are going by precedent you cant compare years. Some years gut punches are punished, yet this year it seems they are laughed at despite talk of wanting to come down hard on them.
How about Mumford's elbow to the head earlier this year?
When has "potentially could have caused more harm" ever been used recently? These are new rules. Just like a game, we want consistent decisions based on consistent rules. He should have got one week as it was low impact (player didn't even go to ground). All the decisions so far have focussed on damage done not potential damage. FFS, every blow can potentially be more harmful! That is just a lot of rot!!!

Tiger fans wanting less because of the Mitchell precedent are suggesting players should be allowed to elbow to the back of the head, way off the ball any time they like.

You either think it should be punished, or you think players should get away with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, if it was the other way around and Dusty copped the elbow in the head, I'd be demanding 2 weeks plus. Can't expect less because it was Dusty throwing the elbow around

A tiger supporter with commonsense.
Thought they were like the Tasmanian tiger

Tiger fans wanting less because of the Mitchell precedent are suggesting players should be allowed to elbow to the back of the head, way off the ball any time they like.

You either think it should be punished, or you think players should get away with it.

I think in this case you can want both.

The AFL had made a rod for their own back.

All we (supporters) have done is just put forward the case that a precedent has already been set. Players getting away with it is what the AFL has shown us with their differing sanctions along the way.

So while we all accept it's a crude act and don't want it in the game, I think we are well within our rights to also expect the AFL to make consistent decisions for identical situations.

Not our fault they set the precedent as being it's ok to do it (Mitchell case). We are just following their lead.

I want less because of the Mumford precedent, the Cox precedent, the Cunnington precedent and the list goes on and on and on....

No one is saying the hit wasn't bad. It's the inconsistency in their decisions that is driving people crazy. The way it should be is once you call those decisions OK (just fines or off totally) you can't change the way you judge things. They all look bad. They all could potentially could have caused more harm and yet those words were only used for Dusty.....

I want less because of the Mumford precedent, the Cox precedent, the Cunnington precedent and the list goes on and on and on....

No one is saying the hit wasn't bad. It's the inconsistency in their decisions that is driving people crazy. The way it should be is once you call those decisions OK (just fines or off totally) you can't change the way you judge things. They all look bad. They all could potentially could have caused more harm and yet those words were only used for Dusty.....
What Mumford precedent?

Off the ball hit to the head deliberately. Minimum 2 weeks. Gaff did the same thing and got 8 weeks. If Martin did the same damage he'd be off for 2 months as well
He broke the guys jaw FFS. Kennedy didn't fall to the ground, leave the ground or have a concussion test. In the AFL's own judgments that has been called low impact this year and last year. One week is the correct sentence.

How about Mumford's elbow to the head earlier this year?
When has "potentially could have caused more harm" ever been used recently? These are new rules. Just like a game, we want consistent decisions based on consistent rules. He should have got one week as it was low impact (player didn't even go to ground). All the decisions so far have focussed on damage done not potential damage. FFS, every blow can potentially be more harmful! That is just a lot of rot!!!

Only previously been used in four incidents AFAIK

Hodge against Swallow (very bad look, minimal impact as Swallow dived back and Hodge was more acting/intimidating)
Lewis against Goldstein (talked up incessantly by the media, increased from 2 to 4)
Rioli against <Port Player> (Rioli allegedly racially abused got up swinging, nothing actually connected - attempted to strike - forget how many weeks).
Tom Mitchell against Goldstein (below the force required for striking, however reclassified as rough conduct so "potential to cause injury" could be used and got upgraded to a fine).

Not sure how I feel about it - was easier when it was just anti-Hawk bias.

If Martin was deemed intentional, low impact, high (1 week) I probably wouldn't have a problem under the current regulations. Personally think the off-the-ball stuff should be stamped out entirely, but so much is let go it's just a "unlucky dip" the outcome - which team, how much media, star player or villian?

Don’t know what you’re seeing, but he’s in a headlock before pushing off with an open hand. High, yes, elbow? Don’t make me laugh.

He’s also not 80 meters off the ball
A hit is a hit. Do we now measure the distance between ball and player? What has that got to do with the hit? They both were not in play which is the important point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back