Review Geelong Defeats Owen 13 Crows by 28 points

Remove this Banner Ad

All decent entries.

Sav, Clark, Close, Rohan and Dahlhaus for me.

Atkins tackled in a manor that Parfitt gets lauded for most weeks. Henry had a couple shocking moments but overall Our defenders played well imo.
Parfitt is a consistent let-down for me. Gets caught HTB way too much!

Tex 3 touches, no goals. Just retire mate, you’re cooked.

The sh*t game would have been worth it if kolo kicked that goal. So bloody close.

As i said in the match thread, sav is just a complete waste as a forward. There is no point him being out there if he fails nearly every time to convert.

Im off the sav train and maybe it is time to play jenkins. At least he can kick it between the 2 big sticks. Sav couldn’t hit the side of a barn.
Hendo, Tommy Stewart, MOC and Henry gave him nothing.

NOTHING.

Scarlo sfellows.

GO Catters

All decent entries.

Atkins tackled in a manor that Parfitt gets lauded for most weeks. Henry had a couple shocking moments but overall Our defenders played well imo.

I came close to putting Rohan in but his goal was the deciding factor.

Close was close too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All decent entries.

On an oval fwiw.
He gets games for his pressure acts and continued to do so today.
If Parfitt is one of our bottom 5, we are fine.
Clark and Close are spakfilla til we get our managed / injured ones back.
Sav's first game back for a while, he is a momentum player and will be better next week.

Last edited:
This game was always going to be a bit of a psychological assessment of this 2020 breed of Cat.
Not a bye exactly, but a relaxation after a month's heavy workload.
An opponent we were absolutely expected to beat before the ball had been bounced.
We've seen this kind of thing before.

On the surface they've just been hiccoughs in otherwise strong seasons. And yet losing these types of games has regularly been the start of the rot, the beginning of the end.

Today's tardy start set off early alarm bells, Spectres of bye boo-boos-past raising the hackles.

But a Tom Hawkins steadier got things going, and when Mark Blicavs defied expectation to convert a free kick from the goal square we had weathered an early storm under blue skies.

Without the avuncular Harry and captain Joel Selwood, the club tapped the list's impressive depth, and experienced smalls Steven and Dahlhaus, along with mercurial youngsters Clark and Ratugolea, were able to step into 22 with little fuss.

Jack Steven's 15 disposal, 6-tackle first half was largely accrued at the coalface; often obscured to the viewer's eye until he'd bobbed up with the ball at the foot of a pack for a scrambler.

Adelaide have been down on collective touch all year; fumbly, inaccurate in front of goal and prone to rudimentary mistakes - and yet with a parochial-if-reduced crowd spurring them on they refused to be cowed, and late in the 2nd quarter reduced the margin - never an unmanageable figure - to less than a goal.

A supersonic Gary Rohan special gave us a tenuous 8-point lead, Gryan Miers showed some resolve by standing in front of oncoming traffic to earn a free kick in a marking contest and we looked to have steadied.
Hawkins converted a we'll-take-it free kick late in the quarter and pushed it out to 14 points.
Narrow though the margin was, it looked defendable if we could but clean things up at the centre clearances.
But the Crows could smell their first win for 2020.

A rare Jack Henry blue coughed up a team-lifting goal to Crows veteran David McKay after the three quarter time siren, and it was game on.

I'm one of his hardest markers, but I was pinning my hopes on a huge Patrick Dangerfield last quarter to get us over the line.
To be fair he gave plenty, even if some of it wasn't his cleanest work.

A ten-minute deadlock at the start of the last heightened tensions; we adhered well to what catempire has dubbed 'Slow Football'; methodical, patient, systemic - without quite augmenting this well-drilled approach with the instinctivity that good connection between midfield and forward line often demands.

But then it happened; Guthrie, with clean hands all day long, dished off to Clark deep in defense - the skinny kid managed to ride a bump and get it forward; Miers again competed honestly in a contest and forced a boundary throw-in on the wing ... from there, Tom Atkins and Dahlhaus; both gritty all day, combined to set Mitch Duncan loose, and our classy #22 managed to find Hawkins, who kicked this 3rd, putting the margin out to a pretty comfortable 14 points with 6 minutes remaining.

A couple of margin-extenders late in the 4th capped a reasonable day's work, and most importantly we avoided falling for the ol' dud-team-off-a-long-break trap.

Stray observations:

* Brandan Parfitt loves to buy himself a moment to set-up, find a target and then execute; sometimes this gets him into trouble.
Today he got away with this method on a number of occasions to good effect, but when he gets caught being a bit too clever it is not a good look.
It happened twice in the 3rd quarter and his errors gave Adelaide heart.

* On the other end of the spectrum, Brad Close doesn't get a lot of it, but he doesn't muck around when he does get it - moves the ball on quickly, keeps it really simple.

* Cam Guthrie's great season rolls on, most disposals on the ground and more importantly he was clean and efficient at every turn.

It was a messy win, but we'll take it. Well done to the Crows they really took it up to the Cat's for 3Q's, so they'll take a lot out of the game. I think it won't take the Crows long to get back into the top part of the 8 if they can recruit/draft a few more good players.

The Cat's battled and never gave up. I think what I like about the team this year is we would have lost that game last year. If the opposition took our game away last year the boys crumbled (this happened in the second half of the season). But the Cat's have shown this year they can battle it out if the opposition tries to outnumber them defensively. The rise of Guthrie, Menegola, and Parfitt has more than covered the loss of Tim Kelly. The players that came in this week were average, apart from Steven and Close (gets a pass cos he played his role). I thought Sav, Dalhaus, & Clark struggled with the speed of the game, which is natural if you haven't played in the seniors for a while.

It's hard to believe we won the clearances in the end. Stanley was OK, well supported by Blicavs at the stoppages.

TBone is just killing it and I love watching him get the respect he's long deserved.

Next week we tackle the Dogs. Should be a ripper.

It was allright. As if teams were going to let us play like we want forever.
Few ins after breaks who are questionable if they make us better.
Just would of liked Hawkins to get 1 more.
6 goals just isn't a comfortable enough gap atm for me.

This! I (almost, but not really. But kind of) want Hawkins to win the Coleman more than I want to win the flag. Bloke deserves at least one Coleman.

Reckon Steven got a decent knee or snkle whack right at the end.

Clark was short the run - and was not great and out of touch.

Steven got 20 touches I think but not really damaging I think.

GO Catters

The issue that the pressure got to us, forced us off our game. Adelaide aren't a good enough side to make the most of it, but top 4 sides in finals absolutely will be. That's been our problem for years and nothing has shown me we're better prepared to deal with it this year.
Apart from the fact that we won?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back