Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

Just glad that's over with. Onto the draft, where everybody becomes junior footy experts for one month of the year.
But it was so enjoyable seeing everybody degenerate into screaming toddlers that didn't get their choccy bar at the end of the shopping trip.

I guess we'll have plenty of moaning about whatever we do with 8 and 25, and mocking of whoever we pick up with the spare change picks.

Well… the trip up to Canberra was a tad more exciting than the entire draft period.
The AFL at it again trying to polish a turd into a nugget of gold.
Mack ticked off the trade for pick 25 a week ago.
oh the drama… oh the speculation… oh the BullShizzhausen of it all.
Fool me once…
Fool me twice…
AFL and Trade week can lick my left ONE ☝️

Im not sure how you can characterize any trade as inconsequential to be honest? Im sure there were some on here who thought drafting Tim Kelly was probably going to end up in nothing, but 3 years later that pick and the following trades that resulted from it ended up in Jezza Cameron. All trades should be considered within the bigger picture of where the club is and where it wants to be. In that frame no trade is truly inconsequential.

Hindsight is wonderful i know, but we should be asking how the club can be so publicly enthusiastic about a player like Sav, but only signed him to a 2 year deal in 2021, it seems like a big contradiction to me. Why not sign him to a longer deal that made him a Free Agent the next time he came out of contract? At least then you guarantee some compensation if he moves, which if it were this year for example we'd now have pick 9.

Beyond that, if his value to us was a first round pick then that is what we shouldve pushed Port to facilitate. Did the club have that value in mind when they couldve traded him last year, and was it more achieveable to get that then than now? Allowing Sav to play out his contract essentially ties the clubs hands behind its back. We have no room to negotiate when a player is out of contract, so what did they think theyd get in return for him this year that wasnt on the table last year? From an outside perspective the extra year appears to have gained us nothing except helping to develop a player we knew was heading to Port at the end of the year.

If the issue was game time for Sav last year, could it have been possible for the club to convince him to go somewhere other than Port while he was still contracted? In that case, we may have got something better for him (im speculating here i know).

As others have said, the "steak knives" we got here makes no sense, and practically speaking doesnt improve our draft hand much at all, as they will be picks we probably wont use anyway. So either you think the club is happy with 25 for Sav (it clearly isnt) or the only other conclusion you can come to is this particular trade has so far been mismanaged, as we have lost a valued player for less than he is worth to us.
You do realise that there a 2 sides to every deal?

We cannot force Port to do anything they did not want to do.
We cannot force Sav to sign a longer or new contract if he does not want to.

Can I assume that you were advocating for Sav to be given a 5 year deal on huge money in 2021? That would have solved all our problems I am sure and would have had no impact on building a 2022 team that was capable of winning a flag in dominant fashion.

We have to take 7 players, don't we? (Unless there are some late trade-ins)

Replacing Ceglar, Smith, Menegola, Simpson, Whyte, Riccardi, Ratugolea. Presumably at least Dempsey, maybe Clohesy and Mullin get promoted? But that won't change the total number of players drafted, it just means drafting rookies.

TBH the number of picks we're choosing to take (instead of holding onto the younger delistings, or recruiting more delisted FAs) makes me wonder if Wells/Mackie share the view that this is a shallow draft. Maybe see it as a decent draft pool with less confidently identified talent than normal, after players lost a couple of mid-teen years because of COVID.

Technically because furphy comes in we only have to take 6 (assuming hardie and kroeger stay).the senior/rookie split will depend on how many of dempsey/mullin/ted get promoted.
If i had to guess id say we use 8 and 25 (assuming no live trades) on kids and say 55 and 56ish on mature agers plus 2 rookies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Technically because furphy comes in we only have to take 6 (assuming hardie and kroeger stay).the senior/rookie split will depend on how many of dempsey/mullin/ted get promoted.
If i had to guess id say we use 8 and 25 (assuming no live trades) on kids and say 55 and 56ish on mature agers plus 2 rookies.
I think Dempsey will get promoted and we'll sign a delisted FA ... probably Hayes or Lycett.

We'll take 4 picks to the draft.

It would be inconsequential. And the only way they come into a range that would be worth even a small amount of points is after teams have matched bids, so why would anyone even want the tiny amount of points on offer then?

Most of the movement will be due to list spot not matches of bids. Hard to tell due to DFAs and Rookie eleveations, draft could be anywhere from 45 to 85 picks on the day.

One example where it could work is after GC's first bid match, they'll have open list spots to carry the extra picks. If the first bid comes at pick 2, they'll try to cycle so picks to gain a few extra points.

Free points are free points. GC have four bids to match and they wouldn't want to have any of their future picks diluted.

But it was so enjoyable seeing everybody degenerate into screaming toddlers that didn't get their choccy bar at the end of the shopping trip.

I guess we'll have plenty of moaning about whatever we do with 8 and 25, and mocking of whoever we pick up with the spare change picks.
It may be enjoyable for some...but I just don't get the whining.

Defeats the purpose of supporting a footy club, and complaining about things outside of your control is never good for anyone.

Despite the supposedly impending armageddon, we walk away with one of the best draft hands we've had in a long time, to add to the best group of under 25s that we've had in a long time.

8 & 25, or whatever that turns into, is nothing to sneeze at, and I'd expect whoever we pick with those selections to add even more quality to our young emerging group.

All at the expense of a player that most people here wanted to see the back of years ago.

I don't get the complaints, Sav is no good.. We got pick 25 and annoyed the s**t out of Kane Cornes and Port

Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back