News Gone: Hugh Greenwood traded to Gold Coast for 2020 3rd, 4th round picks

Remove this Banner Ad

I must be in the minority here where I don't care about the deal either way. It's not great but I think there's a hell of a lot of people over rating Greenwood whose impact only ever seemed to start once the pace had moved out of the match and still very inconsistently. There was always flashes where you think he can be totally elite but maybe he just started his career a bit late? Oh well I wish him well at the Gold Coast.
If it was his manager threatening the PSD to us..i hope he beaks his belddy leg

Third rounder is a crime. He was definitely a second rounder

Just glad he is going to a club that won't burn us. If he had gone to a decent club, they would have played him decently and he would have shown us up.

If it was his manager threatening the PSD to us..i hope he beaks his belddy leg
His manager works for him, not for us. You're way to emotional over this mate.

Reality is GC are picking up a borderline first 22 player whose started his career late thus limited experience. Their 2nd round pick (next year) is likely to be way too low for a guy thats played as much as Greenwood.

I like Greenwood a lot but I think he's massively overvalued in this thread by many. I'd be more annoyed if we gave him a big contract to take him to 31-32 than uss offloading for a little on the cheap side.

Just glad he is going to a club that won't burn us. If he had gone to a decent club, they would have played him decently and he would have shown us up.
It's pretty obvious we're stockpiling academy/FS points for Luke Edwards and Borlase in 2020.

I was pretty much thinking a pick in the 30s would be about right for Greenwood who is 28 next year and played 14 games this year.

The picks we got for him amount to a early 30s second rounder in terms of points, which probably gets us Luke Edwards or gets most of it done.

So basically its a future 2nd

I thought he really faded this year. Like his confidence was taking a hit (his new club should knock it out of him completely). Or like he had achieved his goal -- to play in the AFL -- and hadn't succeeded in doing a reset. In which case he's not worth a lot.

OTOH before this year I would have strongly agreed with you.

Make no mistake, I loved the guy and his story, loved him being a Crow, and certainly wish him success.

cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said they rated him. We obviously rated him as we drafted him. Is Hamish a nuffie.
My point is that 12 months out of a draft isnt when you load up on late picks for points. You do that in the trade period, or go into deficit. Ben and Edwards were both more highly rated 12 months out than they were at the draft night.

So much so they didn't take him. I think you've overrated how much the hawks rated him.

If Ben wasn't an Adelaide F/S and didn't have the famous name, he would have had no attention whatsoever. Slow small forwards don't get rated.

I agree this is a trade that should have happened next year, when we have a much clearer picture, but I cab see why we're interested in getting in ahead of the curve considering how academy locked that draft is going to be.

Depends of where Gold Coast finish if they finish last those picks can be worth 690 points, add 197
for discount and we looking at 887 = pick 21

This is what I mean? Why are we even discussing the discount as part of this trade? That should never come into it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He is overated in the sense that his output is miniscule to what people perceive what he brings. Yes he is a contested beast but in general he is a poor ball winner with poor spread/tank and defensive pressure. In essence his offensive output isn't good enough to carry him in the team and make up for his lack of defensive ability. Add to the fact that:
1. We have a plethora of similar slower inside mids
2. He's out of contract (yes we could up our offer of years and dollars but does he really fit into the profile of what we are building our list to be? - No. It would be list management suicide to offer him 4 years and what you'd call a poisen pill contract. GC have the ability to take a punt, we don't and shouldn't)
3. He's 28 next year and is it worth putting games into him and keep developing him when likely his peak will be short lived before he gets too old and will be phased out of an AFL list?

3rd and 4th rounder is ok. If it makes it sound better, treat it as a late 2nd and late 3rd rounder as GC are nailed on to finish bottom or very close to the bottom.

I've found their valuing of picks to be quite strange. They often have a 3rd round pick valued as only half that of a mid first round pick, which to me is not right

In the analysis I've done, picks beyond about 30 are almost worthless, rarely delivering even an average AFL player

Why does the AFL website show this trade as "Hardened mid turns back on Crows" !!

Wow. That is one hell of a negative spin.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
They're desperate to push an exodus narrative

This is what I mean? Why are we even discussing the discount as part of this trade? That should never come into it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If we are discussing these picks were garnered for next year NGA and Father sons, then we must also discuss the Discount,
We need to look at the whole picture and the different directions on offer.

JAYZUZ !!!

He's a decent player who was worth better than two late future picks in a compromised draft.

Staggered that the Crows powerbrokers have accepted that deal, would have been better to take a young emerging player instead.
Hugh not in our best 22, poor fitness level and cant run defensively, not to mention he has had a poor year

I think your really over rating him and nissing the big picture reason to why we are banking picks for next year

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back