guess the movie from the image

Remove this Banner Ad

Yanks just don't get the hidden parts of British comedy

In fairness to the US Office it’s a perfectly fine long standing sitcom on a level with shows like 30 Rock or Parks And Rec. I’d even say it’s elite.

UK Office and Arrested Development on the other hand are prestige. Up there also sits Curb, Seinfeld and Veep so you can probably guess I’m a big Julia Louis-Dreyfus fan considering she’s been in four of these.

In fairness to the US Office it’s a perfectly fine long standing sitcom on a level with shows like 30 Rock or Parks And Rec. I’d even say it’s elite.

UK Office and Arrested Development on the other hand are prestige. Up there also sits Curb, Seinfeld and Veep so you can probably guess I’m a big Julia Louis-Dreyfus fan considering she’s been in four of these.

To me Seinfeld was the start of serious US comedy. Before Seinfeld, US sitcoms were just slapstick canned laughter experiences registering nothing more than a polite smile from me. Seinfeld and I guess Friends, were the sign of the maturing of US sitcoms. And although an animation, The Simpsons were another level. Seinfeld produced belly laughs that were usually more in common from such British shows as Blackadder or Fawlty Towers

I rarely watch movies these days
It's funny, I'd definitely consider myself a movie nerd but I haven't watched one in ages. TV is king nowadays.
Enjoy a good series but film is still king for me. Such an important part of my life. My goal this yera is to get back into writing my film reviews (not really for anyone just a hobby).

Not from this convo but always a little amused when people can't watch a 2.5hr film but smash 5 1hr eps in a row.

I watched US Office during COVID. Its fine but really didn't do much for me. 30 Rock is all time and love Parts & Rec.

Curb/Seinfeld are god tier for me. My great shame is never watching one second of Veep. May change that soon!

There was a time when Hollywood stars used TV as a means of trying to get into movies. If they made it, they were loathe to go back as tv was inferior...unless it was a guest part with a massive pay cheque...but I have noticed in recent times this is no longer the case and movie stars seem quite happy to TV again. True Detective for example

There was a time when Hollywood stars used TV as a means of trying to get into movies. If they made it, they were loathe to go back as tv was inferior...unless it was a guest part with a massive pay cheque...but I have noticed in recent times this is no longer the case and movie stars seem quite happy to TV again. True Detective for example
I'm not sure there has really ever been a massive crossover from TV into movies though, has there?

But your point about more movie stars moving into TV is really true. I can think of heaps off the top of my head (although True Detective is a pretty obvious one):

Julia Roberts in Homecoming
Al Pacino in Hunters
James Franco in The Deuce
Jim Carrey in Kidding
Ethan Hawke in The Good Lord Bird
Paul Giamatti in Billions
Steve Buscemi in Boardwalk Empire

Even Ben Kingsley stepped into TV for Perpetual Grace Ltd (which he was fantastic in, but was ultimately not a great show).

I'm not sure there has really ever been a massive crossover from TV into movies though, has there?

But your point about more movie stars moving into TV is really true. I can think of heaps off the top of my head (although True Detective is a pretty obvious one):

Al Pacino in Hunters
Jim Carrey in Kidding

Even Ben Kingsley stepped into TV for Perpetual Grace Ltd (which he was fantastic in, but was ultimately not a great show).

I never mentioned a 'massive crossover' from TV into movies nor ever entertain that thought. What I meant was if you wanted to get into movies, playing in a TV role was an avenue. Read about why Bruce Lee played Kato in the Green Hornet for instance. Clint Eastwood's leap from Rowdy Yates to the Man With No Name. Once you made a name for yourself in movies there was no going back to TV, but recently this thinking has changed

Al Pacino in Hunters
Jim Carrey in Kidding

I reckon TV to movies would be more prominent really, although that is dominated by comedy... most of the cast of SNL that hit Hollywood for one. Ben Stiller, Bob Odenkirk, Charlie Day, Steve Carell. Jennifer Aniston.

Dramatically you could say George Clooney and Idris Elba.

I never mentioned a 'massive crossover' from TV into movies nor ever entertain that thought. What I meant was if you wanted to get into movies, playing in a TV role was an avenue. Read about why Bruce Lee played Kato in the Green Hornet for instance. Clint Eastwood's leap from Rowdy Yates to the Man With No Name. Once you made a name for yourself in movies there was no going back to TV, but recently this thinking has changed
There's a pretty good burn in that Seth Rogen movie Long Shot when they're talking about TV actors that have become movie stars and someone suggests Jennifer Aniston and he replies with "Just because you're in movies, doesn't mean you're a movie star" haha.

There's a pretty good burn in that Seth Rogen movie Long Shot when they're talking about TV actors that have become movie stars and someone suggests Jennifer Aniston and he replies with "Just because you're in movies, doesn't mean you're a movie star" haha.

Seth Rogen who started in TV? Now that may have been a self burn :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then...there has been the host of sport stars who were chucked into movies. Only in America
Have you watched the OK documentary series "Made In America"? It's incredibly good. One of the directors that had OJ foisted on him ended up admiring his effort, but still said he wasn't much of an actor.

I have a feeling you're waiting for me. I didn't get it right did I?
It's funny, I'd definitely consider myself a movie nerd but I haven't watched one in ages. TV is king nowadays.
Same, up until my first kid. Now the only movies I watch are family friendly ones.
I watched US Office during COVID. Its fine but really didn't do much for me. 30 Rock is all time and love Parts & Rec.
Parks and Rec is great, except John Ralphio. He is the wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorst!
Have you watched the OK documentary series "Made In America"? It's incredibly good. One of the directors that had OJ foisted on him ended up admiring his effort, but still said he wasn't much of an actor.
OJ Simpson was abysmal in Capricorn One. He was good in the Naked Gun, because the style of movie suited his style of acting.

No, but I did watch Once Upon A time In Hollywood which I found very entertaining in all the hidden cliche's of the industry

No, but I did watch Once Upon A time In Hollywood which I found very entertaining in all the hidden cliche's of the industry
If you've got Disney+, you should fire it up. It's equal part about OJ the man (I really had no idea how groundbreaking he was as a footballer), equal part about the racial divide in America (and particularly Los Angeles) and equal part about the trial. It's fascinating and incredible compelling.

If you've got Disney+, you should fire it up. It's equal part about OJ the man (I really had no idea how groundbreaking he was as a footballer), equal part about the racial divide in America (and particularly Los Angeles) and equal part about the trial. It's fascinating and incredible compelling.
Don't have. Is it a Fox station?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back