Unofficial Preview GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows Sun 19/3/23 1.10pm AEDT (12.40pm SA time) at Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we discussing the development of young talent with a club who last made finals in 2013 by default?

the AFL and the world has changed since Bryce Gibbs was in his early years at CFC.
Because 'our method works because we could be Carlton' is the new copium.

It used to be Melbourne, but you know. And Richmond. And the Western Bulldogs. And Sydney. And Geelong.

But so what if the list whittles down more and more every few years, and our failure is beyond sight of ending. We could be losers like Carlton.

We need to show midfield grunt and progress against a team that has bullied us for years…which will have rankled with Nicks given his priority for winning the ball.

The New Sloane body with added core should help on that score. But others have to show they have stepped up over summer and nobody gets pushed around or d-macced. Burgo says he prioritized Bigger and Stronger over summer…okay, let’s see that at work.

I hope Himma has been on dishwashing duty all summer to get Palmolive Hands. Then he’ll be a force IMO. I’ll still give him a few dropped mark credits for Round 1 nerves, but he has to klunk them regularly.

The trial games have shown that if we get our hands on it we can do some damage. BRING IT ON!!

I'd say the Himm over Thilthorpe decision probably came down to this - they are expecting to win games this year, and have shifted focus from development to making finals. That means playing the forward that has the best form.

Not saying I agree, but that is likely the driver.

"shifted" 🤣. Focus has always been on winning games ahead of development.

Logan McDonald and JUH both happily playing and contributing in teams with a realistic chance of finals

using games played to this point is deliberately misleading one's self. All that matters is that at round 1 in his 3rd year, TT is seen as less valuable to a 'rebuilding' team than Elliot Himmelberg. That's rare air and none of his contemporaries are in even a remotely similar position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game Day thread here for those who have Froggy on ignore

I haven’t noticed Jenny posting in it yet, FR0GGY what did you do to upset her?

Hate that froggy bloke

I wouldn’t have played Milera either, even though he’s clearly being played on a half back flank, as an attacking option to set up forward thrusts with precision kicking. Parnell, rightly or wrongly, has only played in a back pocket so far so it’s not the “like for like” selection decision that we see with Thilthorpe vs Himmelberg.

Now, if it’s me, the defense would have looked like this:

Key defenders: Butts and Murray
Intercept defender: Doedee
Back pocket: Parnell
Half back flanks: Smith and Dawson
Lock down defender on Greene: Michalanney

The coaches clearly don’t see this as the structure though, because it’s absolutely not as simple as “Milera is a better back pocket than Parnell so we’ll pick him instead” - Milera won’t be going near the back pocket because he can’t defend one on one in a phone box and the entire world knows this. Side note, I was actually really impressed with Parnell’s one on one stuff in preseason, which makes his non-selection even more baffling to me.

I’d say in reality, we’ve settled on Smith to move to the back pocket and Milera to take Smith’s half back flank role. Meh. Maybe it works. Like clearly Milera is still very highly rated internally, and if we can get him going, he’s got some tricks that others just don’t possess.

But in terms of deserving to be picked for Round 1? Parnell is stiffer than Thilthorpe, and Milera is luckier than Himmelberg for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back