Unofficial Preview GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows Sun 19/3/23 1.10pm AEDT (12.40pm SA time) at Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes.

Players improve with experience and confidence.

They do not improve playing in the twos. Much of the Fogarty carry on was based upon the idea that if he didn't dominate SANFL (he never did) he'd never make it at AFL. It was irrelevant then, as it is now.

Develop in the 2s, develop attributes of a 2s player. Not many play years in the state leagues and become anything more than low range role players. But we're a deliberately middling club, we exist for the 4 points this week, nothing else matters. Whether rebuilding or contending, selection philosophy remains unchanged.

Last edited:
On the Scorpus List I had Murphy bottom 5, noting that I haven't seen enough of Bond or Dowling to rank them

There's a lot of players I'd choose to play over him. Including McHenry.

I'd have given him a run as a small defender and stoppage mid before delisting him. But it's too late for that now. But I'd play him ahead of Sloane for rebuild purposes and Milera on form. The latter can, and I hope does, change quickly though. After being referred to as a 'leader down back that fast tracked Michaelanny', I fear that Milera's selection isn't subject to actual game day output.

Verbatim Fogartys own account of what changed:

Fogarty, who notched his 50th AFL game in Round Seven against North Melbourne, said having the support of his teammates and coaches was also behind his strong form.

“It got pretty frustrating not playing as well as I would have liked,” Fogarty said.

“I think, as well, it was just a little bit of luck and being backed by the team and the coaches that gave me a little bit of confidence to play better football,” Fogarty said.

“It sort of takes a bit of the weight off the shoulders and you can focus on helping other people and trying to keep improving your own game so it makes it a bit easier.”

And yet we still have fans who claim constantly banishing young highly talented players is good for their development.

Whilst simultaneously showing near infinite patience in older players because "leadership". Has now been mentioned in reference to down back Milera. So a gold pass for a failing senior player somehow, returning to the backline after a short stint 4 years ago, benefits overall culture and the development of the players that deserve that spot on current performance and/or projection. You don't need to look to hard too hard to see why we're certain to be 3 decades without a flag.

Last edited:

And let's not forget he was given a shot with us as a "tryout" player off of a B&F year with the Northern Knights playing as their No.1 mid. Then played as a small defender in our SANFL team where he proved he was worthy of an AFL rookie spot winning the Dean Bailey Medal.
We then decided he was a small pressure forward where he's proven to be useful but has looked the best when given squirts on ball with some very effective clearance work.

No way is he the spud several of his biggest knockers want you to believe.
At the very least he's excellent experienced depth.

is he not in your 22 though? Because if he isn't, then he's done, we don't need mediocre depth. We need at least half a dozen of our current best 22 overtaken with high quality players and they can become the depth. Murphy is delist, state league or a final shot with a club that plays him as a mid or small defender. We won't, so he's got to go.

Last edited:
Absolutely hilarious watching the usual mouthbreathers in here just cutting Fogarty out of their posts from 12 months ago and replacing it with Thilthorpe. Same old meltdowns from people expecting every first rounder to be a Coleman or Brownlow medallist in their third year

What's hilarious is imbeciles that refuse to post their selection preferences and instead wait for selection to occur so that they can come into a thread and complain about other posters, rather than provide a view on the actual topic. Especially those that had a player like TT in their round 1 best 22 but then refer to posters critical of his non-selection as "mouth breathers". Imagine being the type of mental midget capable of that.

TT needs to play 15+ AFL games this year.

If he has the odd rest or short stint in the two's then fine. What we don't want is a repeat of last year (or what happened with Fog) where he spends an extended amount of time at SANFL level.

We also need to find a top up player who can ruck so that our poor list management doesn't see him stuck there in the two's.

A few things:

I personally am not worried about TT or the clubs ability to get the best out of him. He will arrive in good time and be an excellent player.

I also noticed a couple of plays in the game against Fremantle where Milera really set up the play well. Once of half back with a very creative handball that was truly Soligo like. The leave, for whatever reason, was worked out with the club in advance, and there seemed no be no dramas with it.

Regarding the weather, it is like anything. One has to go to the right or primary sources, and in Australia it is the BOM, and not all of the secondary apps that are floating around, unless it is the official BOM app of one that is authentically committed to the BOM's forecasts. Olympic Park, site of Giants Stadium, is going for 36 degrees http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney-olympic-park.shtml

We will be playing in the hottest part of the day. Even if the humidity is 30% as suggested somewhere on Bigfooty, that is still a very high heat index (those interested can do their own searches or research on what the heat index is). Often in SA that sort of temp would only have humidity of less than 10%. Whatever way we look at it the game will be played in very opressive conditions.
If the AFL are going to begin the season in mid March they should be catering for this type of weather and play all games under lights for the welfare of the players… oh, wait… Televi$ion

TT needs to play 15+ AFL games this year.

If he has the odd rest or short stint in the two's then fine. What we don't want is a repeat of last year (or what happened with Fog) where he spends an extended amount of time at SANFL level.

We also need to find a top up player who can ruck so that our poor list management doesn't see him stuck there in the two's.
How do you know it didn't help Fog? All evidence suggests that it's helped his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you know it didn't help Fog? All evidence suggests that it's helped his game.
"It got pretty frustrating not playing as well as I would have liked,” Fogarty said.

“I think, as well, it was just a little bit of luck and being backed by the team and the coaches that gave me a little bit of confidence to play better football,” Fogarty said.

“It sort of takes a bit of the weight off the shoulders and you can focus on helping other people and trying to keep improving your own game so it makes it a bit easier.”

If the choice is between Himmelberg and frampton… you choose the one that is best form..

If the choice is between Himmelberg and TT..

You chose TT because he has far more talent, skills and potential than Himm.. and he’s the future.

we need to be pumping games into the lad.. with the experience will come confidence.

Having him float around in the SANFL achieves nothing.

Himmelberg is in alright form at the moment but he’s an unreliable entity.. always has been..
just look at the West Coast game.. he popped up here and there and did some good things.. but he also missed three fairly easy set shots on goal.. thats just unacceptable.. in close games that can end in a loss..

What's hilarious is imbeciles that refuse to post their selection preferences and instead wait for selection to occur so that they can come into a thread and complain about other posters, rather than provide a view on the actual topic. Especially those that had a player like TT in their round 1 best 22 but then refer to posters critical of his non-selection as "mouth breathers". Imagine being the type of mental midget capable of that.
I posted my round 1 team prior to this. But you kind of acknowledge that in the second half of your post.

The amount of mental gymnastics required to understand a post that accuses someone of both doing something and not doing something is quite advanced.

I can both prefer TT to be in the side AND not lose my mind about the fact that he isn't at the same time. Amazing, huh?

A few things:

I personally am not worried about TT or the clubs ability to get the best out of him. He will arrive in good time and be an excellent player.

I also noticed a couple of plays in the game against Fremantle where Milera really set up the play well. Once of half back with a very creative handball that was truly Soligo like. The leave, for whatever reason, was worked out with the club in advance, and there seemed no be no dramas with it.

Regarding the weather, it is like anything. One has to go to the right or primary sources, and in Australia it is the BOM, and not all of the secondary apps that are floating around, unless it is the official BOM app of one that is authentically committed to the BOM's forecasts. Olympic Park, site of Giants Stadium, is going for 36 degrees http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney-olympic-park.shtml

We will be playing in the hottest part of the day. Even if the humidity is 30% as suggested somewhere on Bigfooty, that is still a very high heat index (those interested can do their own searches or research on what the heat index is). Often in SA that sort of temp would only have humidity of less than 10%. Whatever way we look at it the game will be played in very opressive conditions.
I can't remember humidity anywhere near as low as 10% in Adelaide. Correct me if I'm wrong. What has dew point to do with it? Genuine query, don't bite.
I've played sport all over the world. The most debilitating for me was high humidity in parts of Asia.
Average annual humidity in Adelaide is 47%.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

TT has attributes that could make him a scary prospect. He has shown he has serious talent in glimpses.

His main issues at the moment are he lacks aggression, particularly in the air and appears to give up fairly easily once he loses a contest.
He had trouble holding his position in the air last year. I think it affected his confidence. He will come good as he's no squib.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Develop in the 2s, develop attributes of a 2s player. Not many play years in the state leagues and become anything more than low range role players. But we're a deliberately middling club, we exist for the 4 points this week, nothing else matters. Whether rebuilding or contending, selection philosophy remains unchanged.

Only the Crows could take a pick 2 who kicked 5 on debut, and work themselves into a series of concerns about whether he's capable of playing AFL.

30% humidity is fairly low. The weather on the east coast this weekend is very much like a summer day in Adelaide, with a hot northerly blowing. The heat is coming from the centre of Australia, it's hot and dry. Yes, Sydney is usually more humid than Adelaide, but that's not the case when the wind is coming from the west or north-west, as it is now.

On Thilthorpe, Nicks said at the moment he’s a better ruck than forward. The thing is wasn’t that the case we when we drafted him? Maybe he’s not the gun key forward but ruck? Where we drafted him is irrelevant to where he’s supposed to be playing.

On Thilthorpe, Nicks said at the moment he’s a better ruck than forward. The thing is wasn’t that the case we when we drafted him? Maybe he’s not the gun key forward but ruck? Where we drafted him is irrelevant to where he’s supposed to be playing.

And thus Nicks proves that the Adelaide selectors are overthinking it, and potentially underrating the value of key forwards.

Whilst I do agree with the overall premise of where a draftee plays is irrelevant to where they end up (seeing you're primarily looking for traits or where a player fits in a best 22), in this case, it's pretty clear Thilthorpe is a much better key forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back