Unofficial Preview GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows Sun 19/3/23 1.10pm AEDT (12.40pm SA time) at Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the Crows we are talking about here. :$

:D
Thats why I posted it. We all know they read every single one of our posts - well except Vaders oh and that Cummings guy - so I figured to give them the template for training

Phil Davis hurt at training?

I am starting to get a bad feeling with Thilthorpe's progress. He looks good at times and I understand he is only 20 but....
Fog? Very few key forwards are consistent until 22/23, just like Fog at only 23 now. Took someone like Harry McKay even longer to start dominating games consistently. RT has shown more than enough to suggest he will be a very good player for us as he builds strength and develops his game.

Key forwards can also play well into their 30s and still be in their prime, like we have seen recently from Hawkins and Tex.

I am starting to get a bad feeling with Thilthorpe's progress. He looks good at times and I understand he is only 20 but....
The player himself I'm not worried about

It's our ability to get the best out of him and develop him that concerns me

After Fog came good in Year 5 I was worried that we'd double down on the yoyo treatment, picking less promising options ahead of him etc. Maybe he'll have a stint down back in the twos?

A few things:

I personally am not worried about TT or the clubs ability to get the best out of him. He will arrive in good time and be an excellent player.

I also noticed a couple of plays in the game against Fremantle where Milera really set up the play well. Once of half back with a very creative handball that was truly Soligo like. The leave, for whatever reason, was worked out with the club in advance, and there seemed no be no dramas with it.

Regarding the weather, it is like anything. One has to go to the right or primary sources, and in Australia it is the BOM, and not all of the secondary apps that are floating around, unless it is the official BOM app of one that is authentically committed to the BOM's forecasts. Olympic Park, site of Giants Stadium, is going for 36 degrees http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney-olympic-park.shtml

We will be playing in the hottest part of the day. Even if the humidity is 30% as suggested somewhere on Bigfooty, that is still a very high heat index (those interested can do their own searches or research on what the heat index is). Often in SA that sort of temp would only have humidity of less than 10%. Whatever way we look at it the game will be played in very opressive conditions.

A few things:

I personally am not worried about TT or the clubs ability to get the best out of him. He will arrive in good time and be an excellent player.

I also noticed a couple of plays in the game against Fremantle where Milera really set up the play well. Once of half back with a very creative handball that was truly Soligo like. The leave, for whatever reason, was worked out with the club in advance, and there seemed no be no dramas with it.

Regarding the weather, it is like anything. One has to go to the right or primary sources, and in Australia it is the BOM, and not all of the secondary apps that are floating around, unless it is the official BOM app of one that is authentically committed to the BOM's forecasts. Olympic Park, site of Giants Stadium, is going for 36 degrees http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney-olympic-park.shtml

We will be playing in the hottest part of the day. Even if the humidity is 30% as suggested somewhere on Bigfooty, that is still a very high heat index (those interested can do their own searches or research on what the heat index is). Often in SA that sort of temp would only have humidity of less than 10%. Whatever way we look at it the game will be played in very opressive conditions.
Yes relative humidity alone is not a good indicator of comfort. A high temperature with a low relative humidity and a high dew point temperature is far worse than a day with 100% humidity, a low temperature and equivalent dewpoint temperature.

The player himself I'm not worried about

It's our ability to get the best out of him and develop him that concerns me

After Fog came good in Year 5 I was worried that we'd double down on the yoyo treatment, picking less promising options ahead of him etc. Maybe he'll have a stint down back in the twos?
Based on what? Rahilly is proving to be a very handy forwardline coach and has turned Fog’s game around. Tex has developed just fine at our club. What makes you think we don’t develop our talls well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on what? Rahilly is proving to be a very handy forwardline coach and has turned Fog’s game around. Tex has developed just fine at our club. What makes you think we don’t develop our talls well?
Because we've developed so few good talls and produced so little success

Even Fog was in line to be dropped (again) for the Geelong game last year but luckily Tex got Covid and he stayed in. Away he goes after that thankfully but if our hand wasn't forced...?

I am loving what the Crows have got on paper but watching parts of the first two AFL games last night and tonight has reminded me of how good the competition is.
I actually think our skills are better than what Richmond, Carlton, Geelong and Collingwood are putting out for their first games. The physicality of these games is huge though and I’m not sure we can match that.
I think Crows fans will be impressed by our game against GWS but I really must highlight the importance of the Crows kicking true on our shots on goal, especially the gettable ones. If we shoot well on goals we win.
On another note I do like Himmelberg. He’s not going to do everything perfectly but watch him kick a goal or two that matter.
Looking forward to our transition play and hopefully seeing a few game plans put into action and changed up at times. I’m more excited about Sunday’s game than I have been for a Crows game for a while.
Also I cannot figure out how to change the name I am posting under. I chose it after a beer or three a couple of drafts ago when I wanted to say a few things. It is pretty much dated and meaningless. Any advice?

I am loving what the Crows have got on paper but watching parts of the first two AFL games last night and tonight has reminded me of how good the competition is.
I actually think our skills are better than what Richmond, Carlton, Geelong and Collingwood are putting out for their first games. The physicality of these games is huge though and I’m not sure we can match that.
I think Crows fans will be impressed by our game against GWS but I really must highlight the importance of the Crows kicking true on our shots on goal, especially the gettable ones. If we shoot well on goals we win.
On another note I do like Himmelberg. He’s not going to do everything perfectly but watch him kick a goal or two that matter.
Looking forward to our transition play and hopefully seeing a few game plans put into action and changed up at times. I’m more excited about Sunday’s game than I have been for a Crows game for a while.
Also I cannot figure out how to change the name I am posting under. I chose it after a beer or three a couple of drafts ago when I wanted to say a few things. It is pretty much dated and meaningless. Any advice?

I'm not watching tonight, but I came away from last night with the opposite feeling. A top eight finish seemed a lot more possible, seeing both Richmond and Carlton looked very beatable. Physicality isn't something this group struggles with, skills on the other hand can certainly be lacking.

Think you need premium to change account name, or you could ask chief really nicely.

I'm not watching tonight, but I came away from last night with the opposite feeling. A top eight finish seemed a lot more possible, seeing both Richmond and Carlton looked very beatable. Physicality isn't something this group struggles with, skills on the other hand can certainly be lacking.

Think you need premium to change account name, or you could ask chief really nicely.
Thanks and you’re probably right about skills and physicality, I think both are on the up though.

Yep he’s more powerful can go thru a ground ball among bodies and emerge the other side with ball in hand

And doesn’t give away 3 frees a game! Ned needs to learn how to nullify a contest without giving cheapies away to get in front of Murph. When you only touch the ball 10 times a game giving 3 gimmes to the opposition (not even considering disposal efficiency) doesn’t cut it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's really disappointing that Himmelberg is in the team over TT, but I don't blame Nicks for it.
The reality is that TT needs to play with a sense of desperation and desire in his game. His pre-season showed that he wasn't doing it. He simply isn't competitive enough.
While I have no doubt TT at his best makes us a much better team, we can't be picking him if he's not going to put in. He has to earn it, so in that sense, it's a good move from Nicks (same thing happened last year. Shame TT didn't learn the lesson).

If he's not learning the lesson by round one in his third year, having been dropped at least a couple of times, then you'd have to start wondering whether he's got the requisite hunger in him. Milera plodding, Gooch & McAsey duds and Jones and TT playing SANFL, it's not a great foundation of first picks to launch a multiple top 4 level contending window with. Lucky we finally showed some patience with Fog last year, lots of posters had him back down here farming in the SE as his main source of income. Rachele played 2s last year as well and will again if he has a rough patch. But Sloane and Milera won't, they're locked in all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back