Henderson has Gone (to Hawthorn?)

Remove this Banner Ad

wonder they see in him that we don't?

The Crows, Bulldogs and Western Sydney all have a lot of pace across half back. Ricky Henderson would fill a need for Hawthorn with his pace given the Hawks slow aging back-line. He would suit our style of play at the MCG.

The Crows, Bulldogs and Western Sydney all have a lot of pace across half back. Ricky Henderson would fill a need for Hawthorn with his pace given the Hawks slow aging back-line. He would suit our style of play at the MCG.

His biggest problem here was that he would cop a two week injury about every 7 or 8 weeks, and would always have to come back via the SANFL as he hadn't done enough to earn automatic selection (plus his name isn't David Mackay). Prior to this year he rarely got dropped, but had a constant battle to stay on the park.

Does your style of play involve tackling? If so, he may not suit it.

It will still me interesting to see how he performs.
Indeed.

If a side can use the most of hendo's offensive weapons without being too exposed to his defensive deficiencies, then they may get good use from him.

Maybe they can use him on the wing or half forward where he is supposed to be.

Exactly. Hendo another example of us trying to turn a soft as butter but fleet of foot mid/forward into a backman.

I Get that the game has evolved to a point way beyond my level of comprehension,but why do we do this?
Its as frustrating as us trying to turn a manic tackler who cant kick for peanuts into a small goal kicking forward then delist.

He has plenty of pace, doesn't tend to use it a hell of a lot though, rarely breaks the lines, tends to prefer to destribute from a standing position. Think QB in American football, ball gets dished out the back to Hendo who then tries to spot a player down field. He's a pretty good kick and can find the footy so he's reasonable at it, just would have preferred he take the game on more and be stronger defensively.

Come on, he will have a few good games and then Clarko with banish him, when he notices how soft he is at the contest! Clarko and the Hawks, won't put up with that s**t, I'm of the opinion he will playing him as a forward the majority of the time anyways!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks have designated tacklers. The rest of the team just play Keepy offs
Lol designated tacklers... I can just see Hendo in a potential contested situation pull up and point to Cyril 20 metres away and yell "yours".

But seriously... "designated tacklers"... youre dreaming.

Indeed.

If a side can use the most of hendo's offensive weapons without being too exposed to his defensive deficiencies, then they may get good use from him.
Hendo is a wing/half forward every day of the week. Playing him in defense was the biggest exercise in optimism youre ever likely to see on a football field. If a team needs an uncontested link man who can kick a long goal, they could do worse.

Hendo is a wing/half forward every day of the week. Playing him in defense was the biggest exercise in optimism youre ever likely to see on a football field. If a team needs an uncontested link man who can kick a long goal, they could do worse.
The reason they played him in defence is because he failed as a mid/forward. Then he failed in defence, and had nowhere else to go.

The reason they played him in defence is because he failed as a mid/forward. Then he failed in defence, and had nowhere else to go.
I wouldn't say he failed as a mid/forward, but clearly he didn't succeed, as we delisted him. But my point stands, he's far better suited to a wing/forward role than a defensive role.

I wouldn't say he failed as a mid/forward, but clearly he didn't succeed, as we delisted him. But my point stands, he's far better suited to a wing/forward role than a defensive role.
The only role which really suits him is one where he's playing a non-contact sport.

It was more that we couldn't bring ourselves to part with Mackay, Wright or Douglas in those HFF/Wing roles. We rated Hendo behind them.

Rightly or wrongly... I guess we'll see in 2017.

Given Hawthorn can never make mistakes, I've really had my eyes opened this off season because I never realised how good Vickery and Hendo were.
I do find this amusing but it'll be very interesting indeed to see how they perform.

I've always thought that their system, emphasis on skills and demanding quality from ALL their players and accepting no less has more to do with their success than merely having the most talent and who better than Vickery and Henderson to put that to the test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back