Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who knows. I don’t want to solve that problem without trying to solve the current one first.

Who wants to be the England cricket team of afl and perpetually building - unsuccessfully ad getting beaten all the time - for a future that never arrives. This very same discussion was had previously when we had star after star to try and replace. We didn’t do it well enough to win a comp but we have it a good crack and that what I hope we keep trying to do
But you're not having a crack? You weren't a chance last year. And you're not a chance this year. Like is it just to appease the members and feel good about playing a final or 2. I don't get it. It's all about winning flags. I don't know what Geelong are doing to be honest. Sort of in no mans land.

Putting aside all the garbage around who is the best team...

The Demons defensive system is excellent. Excellent players combined with their defensive system make them the hardest to score against.

The way to beat them imo is through contested marks. Any side pulling in contested marks i50 is more than a chance. Very few teams though can pull this off.

Geelong as stated have the key forwards but not the smalls. Recent finals history fills me with zero confidence.

Brisbane with Daniher and Hipwood can threaten but can they step up in big games with their contested marking?

Tiges have Lynch, Riewoldt and Balta but we need all of our mids to play out of their skin. Melbourne can afford to have some out with injuries...we can't. We need to make finals first.

Anyone else?

But you're not having a crack? You weren't a chance last year. And you're not a chance this year. Like is it just to appease the members and feel good about playing a final or 2. I don't get it. It's all about winning flags. I don't know what Geelong are doing to be honest. Sort of in no mans land.

Using your logic the Bulldogs werent a chance either and 17 clubs should be rebuilding any given year.
Just saying ‘we flogged you so you were never a chance’ is ridiculous. We flogged port by 20 goals in a grand final in 2007 but a month earlier they beat us at KP. The end result doesn’t magically alter the reality of what came before it.

Using your logic the Bulldogs werent a chance either and 17 clubs should be rebuilding any given year.
Just saying ‘we flogged you so you were never a chance’ is ridiculous. We flogged port by 20 goals in a grand final in 2007 but a month earlier they beat us at KP. The end result doesn’t magically alter the reality of what came before it.
My logic is that Geelong are extremely old and they're not going to improve. So if you lose a final by 80, fair to say that you're not going to be competitive next year. Also the fact that you played a GWS side in the other final that was without Toby Greene and were very unimpressive. So in 3 finals you lost 2 embarrassingly and were average in the other one. And all of your players are over 30 so they're declining quickly.

If your list was younger then yes, I would agree with you but each year after 30 you decline very quick.

My logic is that Geelong are extremely old and they're not going to improve. So if you lose a final by 80, fair to say that you're not going to be competitive next year. Also the fact that you played a GWS side in the other final that was without Toby Greene and were very unimpressive. So in 3 finals you lost 2 embarrassingly and were average in the other one. And all of your players are over 30 so they're declining quickly.

If your list was younger then yes, I would agree with you but each year after 30 you decline very quick.

I don’t disagree with the last part of that. But the reason we have stayed competitive - in addition to Hawkins in particular defying time - is players who aren’t superstars like Guthrie, Menegola in 2020, Stewart, Cameron coming in, Blicavs being competent, Bews becoming at least serviceable, Miers getting his goal a game albeit with littl else, and Henry improving. Yes I agree to beat a side as good as Melbourne I believe we would need Danger, Hawkins, Duncan, Selwood all firing on all cylinders which is getting increasingly rarer but it’s the players around them getting to at least a respectable level that has kept us competing to this point

Sorry mate but that’s not it at all. I only got into this thread because someone made the call that Melbourne aren’t capable of matching up to Richmond as they haven’t won enough flags.

Then you followed on by saying Cats would smash Richmond 99 time of 100 for some reason. Enough said case closed, goodbye.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Hahahaha

So you came in this thread to claim that the Melbourne Team wouldn't be able to beat the prime Richmond team, then proceeded to post about it 50 times.

And One Geelong poster makes the same claim that you're making, that his team is better than ours/yours, and you spit the dummy and get mad.

It's almost as if you are getting mad at another post for doing the same thing as you Hahahaha

Destroy us with a nearly non-existent system, I don’t think so. Late naughties was just the start of team systems being introduced, they were not nearly as good as the systems of today. But I don’t think anybody would know who’d be better. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be 99 out of 100 lol. You guy lost to teams that were inferior to us more often than that.

Also I don’t think anybody argues a team with 1 premiership could beat a team with 3 in the modern era lol Maybe only 2000 bombers but they were a flash in the pan and could arguable beat all 4 of these teams

Lol cats side of 07-11 would wipe the floor with the Richmond side of 17-20. It would put your so called biggest percentage win in a final in grave danger.

I'm not suggesting that and I never said you did say that.

Essendon would be an exception - very few if any teams ever have dominated a season the way they did.

Why would Melbourne fit in that category though? They have not been as dominant, not even close.

In most cases, you would be backing the team that wins multiple flags. Adelaide 97-98 is a good exception you have highlighted.
Rubbish, Carlton 95 is another example or Collingwood in 2010. Melbourne in 21 was the most dominant finals side since the cats in 07 and bombers in 2000. This is facts.

We’ll see I guess, odds are in my favour. I just don’t think this Dees team are as good as multiple premierships teams of the past especially ones that went b2b. People forget that you guys played 5th in the GF and they have no forward or backline, they played an extra final and had their training sessions interrupted 3x more than you. The game was literally given to you on a silver platter. They were tired and didn’t have the legs as they played another final, they were actually beating you for most of the game. If they were fresh you would’ve lost.

We beat 5th in a GF after beating 4th and 3rd in the finals. Do you think Port would have made more of a game of it?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My pick for the grand final is Melbourne v Sydney and I think it would make for an outstanding even contest.

Sydney won’t make it that far. The reason being, they don’t play like a finals team. Sydney have too many players who hold onto the football for too long, and only give it up if tackled. If not tackled the player just bombs it forward. Also, they have too many individuals who do not look around them, instead preferring to just look forward, which would be fine, if they spent that time assessing their options forward and using the time to execute a good decision - but they don’t. Instead, they just bomb it in, or blaze away. This is all good and well against an inferior outfit like West Coast, but come finals times, it simply will not fly.

What would happen if that side met Melbourne in a grand final? Sydney would get obliterated, because they are happy to hold onto the pill until tackled, which they would be and often (deer in headlights), they are happy to bomb it into their forward 50 (to May and Levers delight), they also lack a defensive mid to tag Oliver\Petracca, they lack mids who run both ways, and pretty much overall Sydney don’t have much of a game plan. They will be very lucky to finish top 4 on what I have seen, and would need to in order to make a grand final.

Sydney won’t make it that far. The reason being, they don’t play like a finals team. Sydney have too many players who hold onto the football for too long, and only give it up if tackled. If not tackled the player just bombs it forward. Also, they have too many individuals who do not look around them, instead preferring to just look forward, which would be fine, if they spent that time assessing their options forward and using the time to execute a good decision - but they don’t. Instead, they just bomb it in, or blaze away. This is all good and well against an inferior outfit like West Coast, but come finals times, it simply will not fly.

What would happen if that side met Melbourne in a grand final? Sydney would get obliterated, because they are happy to hold onto the pill until tackled, which they would be and often (deer in headlights), they are happy to bomb it into their forward 50 (to May and Levers delight), they also lack a defensive mid to tag Oliver\Petracca, they lack mids who run both ways, and pretty much overall Sydney don’t have much of a game plan. They will be very lucky to finish top 4 on what I have seen, and would need to in order to make a grand final.

Did you think I said Collingwood or some other mid table team? The Swans are 4-1 including wins against GWS and Geelong. If they had an even free kick count against the Dogs they might be 5-0 right now. Other than Melbourne these are the other teams that have more wins than losses so far: Brisbane, Freo, St Kilda, Geelong and Carlton. Brisbane are the only other team I think is a top tier contender and I don't see how anybody could say Sydney is a signficant step below Brisbane.

Melbourne is fairly number 1 on any power rankings list, I don't see any team deserving the number 2 spot ahead of Sydney.

The Carlton side RD 1-3 could have stopped em lol. After all they where premiership bound. ;)
Don't forget the practice game too

Its actually super obvious how this team can be stopped. They lose a few players to injuries, that hurts them. If they lost Petracca or Gawn, they have the depth, but they lose both, and that dramatically brings them back to the pack.

But even just losing Petracca is enough to give other teams a great chance. Just look at how Geelong losing Stewart and the Bulldogs losing Bruce really ****ed their structures. I feel like Port lost someone pre-finals but sadly don't remember who.

Alternatively, you can't discount another team coming through as the next dominant team and we have seen it before. No one expected Geelong to do what they did in 2007-2011. No one expected the Hawks 3 peat in 2013-15. No one saw Richmond doing what they did in 2017-2020 after they had a rubbish 2016. All were teams that had talent, and had under achieved.
Melbourne MIGHT be that team, they underachieved before 2021, but they could also be like the Swans of 2012 or Dogs of 2016 where people thought back to back was on the cards, and maybe this year is the start of a few flags for a Brisbane or a Sydney.

I still think Melbourne are the favourites for the flag this year, but I think you have a better idea of the gap between the teams in the top 4, then the top 4 and the bottom half of the 8, in Rd 15.
Maybe by then Melbourne aren't clear favourites and teams have a tactic that works against them. And then all it takes is a Carlton 1999/Collingwood 2018 where a team predicted to lose the PF comes out with a surprise and denies the B2B.

I think this Melbourne team are the most dominant in relation with the rest of the comp since Geelong of 2008. It will take a mighty upset for them to lose from here. I see Sydney as the only team capable of doing it - The 2008 Hawks if you like.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back