Toast How can this Melbourne side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

We really comparing Geelong 2007-2011 to Richmond 2017-2020? The flags are equal so you then look at secondary records like H&A and how they went in years they DIDN'T win the flag. It isn't even close lol.

Geelong was bloody good over that period and they beat some other VERY strong teams, Hawks, Saints, Pies.

As a Saints supporter, I feel in almost any other year we would have won a premiership in 2009.

Where did I say I hate Stewart Dew? Where did I say you hate Mason Cox? I couldn’t care less what you think of him. The fact is if you’re dumb enough to start throwing s**t because a 29 year old who had already won an AFL premiership played 20
Great minutes of footy on a day where we were rubbish and helped clinch another team a flag, cop it on the chin that a bloke with nothing going for him but the length of his spine did the same to you. Before you even got to the grand final.

And no he wouldn’t have done the same to Scarlett because Scarlett wouldn’t have been manning him. More likely Harry Taylor or Tom Lonergan would have been.

And as a back pocket or half back flanker I don’t think he would have done the same to Corey Enright.

I didn’t say you said either of those things. People assume tigers supporters hate Cox, so I said it generally. Why else would you bring him up, your clearly having a dig at me.

Cox would’ve beaten any defender in the league the way he played that day.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I didn’t say you said either of those things. People assume tigers supporters hate Cox, so I said it generally. Why else would you bring him up, your clearly having a dig at me.

Cox would’ve beaten any defender in the league the way he played that day.

And pinging goals from the half forward flank on the non preferred side for a left footer was just something Dew saved exclusively for the 2008 Geelong grand finalists?

Geelong was bloody good over that period and they beat some other VERY strong teams, Hawks, Saints, Pies.

As a Saints supporter, I feel in almost any other year we would have won a premiership in 2009.

Don't disagree at all, there was a set of very good sides in that era and unlucky for the Saints they were the only team who didn't win one, when they really should have 2009-2010.

We really comparing Geelong 2007-2011 to Richmond 2017-2020? The flags are equal so you then look at secondary records like H&A and how they went in years they DIDN'T win the flag. It isn't even close lol.

If you look at game plan then yes.

Looking at just H&A games can be misleading, the comp wasn’t as even in 07-11 as 17-20 I don’t think anybody argues against that. This is why minor premiers only get about 17-18 wins instead of 20+. Even last year, pies and Adelaide both beat Melbourne I think. Even bottom sides have a chance nowadays. This causes a lot more upsets.

It’s 60 per cent at the MCG since 2011 playing exclusively against tenants of the ground, aside from a couple of finals.

fu**en hell mate it’s not hard to research.

That’s your logic?

‘Oh you only have a 60 per cent win ratio away from home against tenants of the MCG it shows that you only win home games because of the shape of your ground’

Ok 60% then, big deal. If you think ground dimensions don’t play a role in how teams play your deluded. Cats must take roids or something before the game to get to 90%+ win rate then by your logic.

And pinging goals from the half forward flank on the non preferred side for a left footer was just something Dew saved exclusively for the 2008 Geelong grand finalists?

You couldn’t cover an out of shape player coming back from retirement. What kind of pathetic defenders did you have?

Also if you couldn’t cover Dew imagine what Dusty would’ve done. He would’ve absolutely carved you up.

Ok 60% then, big deal. If you think ground dimensions don’t play a role in how teams play your deluded. Cats must take roids or something before the game to get to 90%+ win rate then by your logic.

If it played that big a role, there would be other teams with a better away win percentage since 2011.

Just to save you the research you weren’t going to do:

There aren’t.
Richmond’s over the last decade is below 50 per cent as soon as you remove neutral games from 2020.

So shitting on someone else because they happen to win a lot away, and even more at home (wow, home team wins at home - huge if true) and blaming it somehow on the dimensions is pretty stupid.

We’ve won 3 less flags than you in that time and still win more on the road.

You couldn’t cover an out of shape player coming back from retirement. What kind of pathetic defenders did you have?

Oh I’m sorry did he come out of retirement for that game? That’s news to me. I must have imagined the 14 he played before it.

He kicked - wait for it - 2 goals.

Pathetic defenders? Oh ok so that 10 minute period defines the careers of the players who were out there that day, does it? Everything else they may have ever done, gets erased because Dew kicked a couple of goals from a flank 😂😂

Mate quit while you’re behind

So we're $3.5 to win the flag which means we're more unlikely to win the flag than win the flag.

I'm surprised with just how poor and influential the umpiring can be that people think you can't have a bad day and lose on any given day. Like then you play the dogs you're starting 4 goals down due to the umpires. That's just common knowledge. Throw in bad goal kicking etc. Anything can happen.

We almost lost to Essendon and Gold Coast this season so I think people need to pump the brakes a bit.

If it played that big a role, there would be other teams with a better away win percentage since 2011.

Just to save you the research you weren’t going to do:

There aren’t.
Richmond’s over the last decade is below 50 per cent as soon as you remove neutral games from 2020.

So shitting on someone else because they happen to win a lot away, and even more at home (wow, home team wins at home - huge if true) and blaming it somehow on the dimensions is pretty stupid.

We’ve won 3 less flags than you in that time and still win more on the road.

Bro I’m not shitting on you, all I’m saying is ground dimensions effect games and gameplans. The massive variance of your home games vs your away games is proof. You guys also train on it unlike MCG tenants with their grounds. It is really surprising some teams haven’t beaten you there in decades, Geez.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bro I’m not shitting on you, all I’m saying is ground dimensions effect games and gameplans. The massive variance of your home games vs your away games is proof. You guys also train on it unlike MCG tenants with their grounds. It is really surprising some teams haven’t beaten you there in decades, Geez.

No it’s not proof because all teams win lots at home and less away. Sydney is the best performed team at our ground and quite literally play their own home games on the most polar opposite ground in the competition. Meanwhile West coast, Fremantle and the Adelaide teams, who’s current (Adelaide) and previous (Freo and West Coast) home grounds were most similar to ours, have between them won 2 matches in 37 attempts.

If it was the factor you think it is, our win record when travelling would be below average. It’s not. It’s well above average.

Oh I’m sorry did he come out of retirement for that game? That’s news to me. I must have imagined the 14 he played before it.

He kicked - wait for it - 2 goals.

Pathetic defenders? Oh ok so that 10 minute period defines the careers of the players who were out there that day, does it? Everything else they may have ever done, gets erased because Dew kicked a couple of goals from a flank

Mate quit while you’re behind

Just imagine what Dusty would’ve done man if Dew could do that to you. It’d be like a horror movie. We would’ve absolutely smashed you in 08 by like 40+. He would win the norm again with 30 disposals and 4 goals guaranteed.

No it’s not proof because all teams win lots at home and less away. Sydney is the best performed team at our ground and quite literally play their own home games on the most polar opposite ground in the competition. Meanwhile West coast, Fremantle and the Adelaide teams, who’s current (Adelaide) and previous (Freo and West Coast) home grounds were most similar to ours, have between them won 2 matches in 37 attempts.

If it was the factor you think it is, our win record when travelling would be below average. It’s not. It’s well above average.

Bro you determine this by comparing your own clubs performances not against other teams ffs. You perform well below your standards at every ground compared to GMHBA by an absolute massive margin, everybody can see this except for you.

I've only seen a couple of Melbourne games this season against Essendon and Port. Both games Melbourne got the win but were fairly underwhelming.
Agree against Essendon but not sure what game you were watching re: the port game. You guys kicked your first goal at the end of the 3rd quarter. That's a master class in defence. Sure it would've been good if we won by 100 but flags are won with defence.

Bro you determine this by comparing your own clubs performances not against other teams ffs. You perform well below your standards at every ground compared to GMHBA by an absolute massive margin, everybody can see this except for you.

And still well above everyone else’s.

Richmond’s win percentage at the MCG rises by about 17 per cent over the last decade (and rises by about 35 per cent since they started being decent) compared to away games out of Melbourne.

Geelong’s winning percentage at home rises by about 30 per cent when we are at home in the time we’ve been good during that decade as well.

Massive.

And still well above everyone else’s.

Richmond’s win percentage at the MCG rises by about 17 per cent over the last decade (and rises by about 35 per cent since they started being decent) compared to away games out of Melbourne.

Geelong’s winning percentage at home rises by about 30 per cent when we are at home in the time we’ve been good during that decade as well.

Massive.

Why do you keep responding like I’m saying this makes Cats good or bad, I’m only saying this to show you the H&A game in 2017 isn’t a good example to use because of the big home ground advantage. Why is this so blasphemous to you?

Also you gonna respond to my post about Dusty if he played in the 08 GF or just ignore it because you can’t dispute it? Hahahah

Why do you keep responding like I’m saying this makes Cats good or bad, I’m only saying this to show you the H&A game in 2017 isn’t a good example to use because of the big home ground advantage. Why is this so blasphemous to you?

Also you gonna respond to my post about Dusty if he played in the 08 GF or just ignore it because you can’t dispute it? Hahahah

I didn’t even know you’d made a comment about him.

My point was this mythical system that you seem think guards recent Richmond from any comparison to another team, doesn’t really look that foolproof when you consider that Geelong themselves have fielded sides made up with a large percentage of players from
Their own dynasty, who managed to beat or compete with Richmond long after their peak. We did it a few years later in Melbourne too with a third of our starting side having been at Geelong during the dynasty years and another 4 players who were active AFL players in 2010-11

What’s the excuse for that night? System went on a mid-season bye?

Agree against Essendon but not sure what game you were watching re: the port game. You guys kicked your first goal at the end of the 3rd quarter. That's a master class in defence. Sure it would've been good if we won by 100 but flags are won with defence.

Agree. Same as last year, when they are at their defensive best they are nigh on impossible to score against

Watching, reminded me of when my mob were at there absolute defensive best, suffocating the lions in 2018

Right now I think MFC are going through the motions. I expect we will see a real flex when they play a team capable of beating them

I didn’t even know you’d made a comment about him.

My point was this mythical system that you seem think guards recent Richmond from any comparison to another team, doesn’t really look that foolproof when you consider that Geelong themselves have fielded sides made up with a large percentage of players from
Their own dynasty, who managed to beat or compete with Richmond long after their peak. We did it a few years later in Melbourne too with a third of our starting side having been at Geelong during the dynasty years and another 4 players who were active AFL players in 2010-11

What’s the excuse for that night? System went on a mid-season bye?

I’ll keep it simple:

- Our Better system that counters your style of play gives us an edge (i.e increase the likelyhood of us winning)

-If Dew could break apart your legendary 08 team. Dusty would of murdered you and won the game pretty much on his own like 2020.

- Our team is better than 08 Hawks by a fair margin.

You add all these factors together I reckon we beat you 60-40. With both our teams playing at their peaks.

I’ll keep it simple:

- Our Better system that counters your style of play gives us an edge (i.e increase the likelyhood of us winning)

-If Dew could break apart your legendary 08 team. Dusty would of murdered you and won the game pretty much on his own like 2020.

- Our team is better than 08 Hawks by a fair margin.

You add all these factors together I reckon we beat you 60-40. With both our teams playing at their peaks.

Sorry so that would change things how?

Ohhhh we would have double-lost in 2008 because Martin in 2019 turned it on.

I’m hearin ya. One loss that day was bad enough.

It was bad enough that we couldn’t pick our way through the best defensive side of the millenium and win a fla-

Oh wait we did that.

It’s equally shattering that we couldn’t find a way to beat a side that went undefeated against every other team in the competi-

Oh wait we did that too.

No you’re right. There’s no way known, even though with Ablett, Taylor, Selwood, Hawkins, Guthrie, Duncan, Dangerfield, Rohan, Tuohy, Stanley etc who all played for or against Geelong during our dynasty we managed to beat Richmond during their dynasty, that we could have coped with Richmond’s systems when you throw in Bartel, Chapman, Ottens, Enright, Harley, Mackie, Ling, Mooney, Scarlett, Egan, Corey, Stokes, Podsiadly, Johnson, King, Kelly (just 14 all Australians in that list). No chance that we could have handled Richmond’s impenetrable system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back