Is Damien Hardwick the greatest coach of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

LMAO, your mate, who I quoted said Hafey was ahead of Hardwick, get it?

Now, go tell you mate that Hafey only coached in an era where footballers only rocked up a couple of times a week.

Also, you said this year was one of Hardwicks finest, like Richmond were the only team that had to endure hardships, well, like every year since the league started, each team has the same chances, just like this year.
Hafey's in the same deal, modern coaching is far more complex than what he went through. Did you think I'd argue otherwise?

And in my post I already acknowledged teams faced the COVID challenge, but only one coach has it on his resume he won the most challenging season ever.

I dont think Hardwick's the GOAT by the way, just that he's building a resume that will have him in the conversation by careers end. Pretty sure that's how I wrote my post.

He is a very good coach no doubt. Good coaching to get the most out of his team, play to their strengths and exploit the rules of the league. All 3 things a very good coach should do.

I would like to see AFL implement a rule of 2 forwards having to be inside 50 at all times and see how he goes

Hafey's in the same deal, modern coaching is far more complex than what he went through. Did you think I'd argue otherwise?

And in my post I already acknowledged teams faced the COVID challenge, but only one coach has it on his resume he won the most challenging season ever.

I dont think Hardwick's the GOAT by the way, just that he's building a resume that will have him in the conversation by careers end. Pretty sure that's how I wrote my post.
The difference being, now there is not just 1 coach, he may get the credit, but there are more coaches now, you say it's harder, maybe, maybe not, but of course you are a Richmond supporter, and this is about a Richmond coach.

MKing the list as poor as Richmonds as good as it has over the journey has to make him an incredibly
Good coach.

Take nothing away from the Tigers list but one superstar and a few very good players and the rest are role players.

Dimma would almost be a better coach than Clarkson now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with that. Coaching was so hard back then that one of McHale's accredited premierships was coached by a stand in the club treasurer on GF day, as he wasn't there, such was the challenge of it.

FWIW Matthews, Clarkson, etc. you could use any of them as examples, or Hardwick, basically ones that weren't coaching 90 years ago where they rocked up a couple times a week and played footy outside their actual jobs.

You didn't see McHale, or any of his teams, you're using a number and not using common sense.

Irrelevant.

#scoreboard

You bet. The sooner they rename the Norm Smith Medal the Damien Hardwick Medal the better!

Probably should rename the Jock McHale Medal while they're at it because it's only a matter of time ...

Luckiest bloke in football history...
I think Chris Scott takes the cake mate. Walked into a premiership side and since then has the worst finals record with a team of stars.

The difference being, now there is not just 1 coach, he may get the credit, but there are more coaches now, you say it's harder, maybe, maybe not, but of course you are a Richmond supporter, and this is about a Richmond coach.
I didn't say he was the GOAT though, just that there's a few good things stacking in his favour and potentially moreso by retirement.

I stand by modern coaching is light years ahead of way back when, it was part time, half of them were player coaches at some point too.

Richmond or other coaches aside, I'd make the same argument for Clarkson, Matthews, etc.

No, he is not the greatest coach of all time at the moment. He may be one day. Needs to win at least one more flag though for mine, probably 2. Matthews, Clarkson, Sheedy, Barrasi, Jeans, Parkin, Smith and McHale are still ahead of him. Probably on a par with Kennedy Snr. Doubt he ever wins as many as McHale though. Smith is probably unlikely as well.

To win 5 in the modern era would be an amazing effort, and certainly hard to argue against such a claim.

His credentials are starting to stack up, 3 premierships, took a side from bottom to dynasty, only coach to take a team to finals from 3-10, and winning the most challenging individual season ever in 2020, yes there were challenges for all teams to varying degrees, but only one of them won it. Hes also done it during compromised drafts, and with a list that most people still question, hes developed a system that stacks up in all conditions and finals.

By career's end, he will certainly be in the conversation.
I actually do think there are factors and arguments you can make that DO put him somewhere on the edge of the conversation.

you’ve not mentioned any of them in your post. All the things you’ve mentioned are almost completely irrelevant.

Started at the bottom: well yeah, they were second last in 2009 before he arrived. They stayed there in his first season. They climbed away from the absolute bottom and finished mid-lower table the to years after. They had sequences of 5-6-8-10 wins in the season before he arrived, and the 3 after. So fair play he improved their output immediately.

but saying ‘he took them from the bottom’ would be a lot more relevant if they’d gone from 15th to 9th to finals in a short space.
All they did in those 3 years was improve incrementally like almost any team with a reasonable amount of developing talent would do.

yes he got them to a dynasty. It took him most of the decade to get them there. Again, it’s not like he walked in and took them from half a dozen spoons to multiple flags in the space of a few years.

As for the ‘only coach to make the finals from 3-9’ well who the hell was coaching them when they got to 3-9?

The most challenging season featured 17 other teams. Pretty sure they all faced some battles.

I think Chris Scott takes the cake mate. Walked into a premiership side and since then has the worst finals record with a team of stars.
you have said geelong players are average and now you saying they are stars. Horses for courses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back